The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

With the passing of Gregg Allman, I have been listening to At Fillmore East over the past week. Some say it's the best live album ever. I'm not sure I agree but that version of Whipping Post is awesome.

Gregg's autobiography was very good too: My Cross To Bear.

14 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Such an amazing guitarist, singer and songwriter.  

the Classic-leaning Rock station I program was getting so many requests for him, we added a few tracks. "Perfectly Good Guitar" gets a lot of love...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the Classic-leaning Rock station I program was getting so many requests for him, we added a few tracks. "Perfectly Good Guitar" gets a lot of love...

Saw him and Lyle Lovett a few months ago.  Their between song banter was almost as impressive as their songs.  Fabulous show.

so I mostly like aggressive music but recently my mom has fallen for Elton John's greatest hits. She lives alone back in t-bay and she's got some cognitive stuff going on so anything she gets enthusiastic about I want to support.  She gifted me an EJ CD and we are listening and swapping emails about the tunes.

The songs are decent ... Sir Elton knows his **** ... but I think my favorite part of his act is the old costumes.  Damn, that man could peacock better than anyone.  Every one of these outfits is a gem.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/the-most-flamboyant-elton-john-stage-costumes-possibly-ever?utm_term=.wy9mylMLLE#.baG1n6AVVO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, johnzo said:

so I mostly like aggressive music but recently my mom has fallen for Elton John's greatest hits. She lives alone back in t-bay and she's got some cognitive stuff going on so anything she gets enthusiastic about I want to support.  She gifted me an EJ CD and we are listening and swapping emails about the tunes.

The songs are decent ... Sir Elton knows his **** ... but I think my favorite part of his act is the old costumes.  Damn, that man could peacock better than anyone.  Every one of these outfits is a gem.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/the-most-flamboyant-elton-john-stage-costumes-possibly-ever?utm_term=.wy9mylMLLE#.baG1n6AVVO

I think the Guess Who wrote a song about artists back in the day like Elton John called Glamour Boy.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, MOBomberFan said:

Been on a July Talk kick lately. I love both their voices. The guy sounds like heavier gravelly Tom Waits/Leonard Cohen type.

girlfriends a fan of these guys so I started listening.  diggin' the contrasts yup.   wish I woulda went to the show when they were here earlier in the year.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:46 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think the Guess Who wrote a song about artists back in the day like Elton John called Glamour Boy.

Never heard of the tune, so I tracked it down.  Wow, Burton Cummings was a bitter man back in 1970.

Wikipedia says the song was about Bowie. Speaking of Bowie, here's Motörhead covering one of his big hits:

Motörhead is releasing a whole record of covers in the fall. Will have tunes from the Sex Pistols, the Stones, Priest, Twisted Sister, etc.  No Guess Who tho.

Edited by johnzo

Tonight my neighbours are listening to these beauties:

20748115_10156178512711002_2835137123942

I've been playing electronic drums in my living room, but no more.  Got a nice little club kit that's perfect living room volume when I play it with rod sticks.  Would have liked royal blue better but alas, it's not a popular color for drums...