The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

Back in the day I worked for the Ontario government in a large open concept office.

Lots of my coworkers had radios at their desks, all tuned to T-Bay's single crappy pop/rock FM station.

This was when Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You was huge. For weeks the crappy radio station played it every day at 4pm on the dot. And respect, the lady could really belt it and her voice cut through the office noise like a laser. 

So suddenly every day, just before quitting time, I'd be absolutely surrounded by this song and it was freaky.  I still get a weird feeling when I hear it in a mall or wherever.

So yeah I hear you about work music TF.

Edited by johnzo

I worked at Convergys yonks ago... at this time I was working overnights with about a dozen other people... we were cliquey and sat apart from one another, but were still restricted to a few rows. One group was heavily addicted to the song Wake Me Up by Evanescence. They would play it repeatedly throughout the night, just loud enough that you could tell what song was playing but not aloud enough to actually enjoy the song (if that is even possible). In a huge empty warehouse, no matter how far away you sat, the song was inescapable. They would sing along as well as they could, loudly and off key. The words eventually lost all meaning. I am confident that when I get to hell I will be forced to read the comments section of the Free Press with Wake Me Up playing far off in the distance for eternity.

okay I have yet another track from a Carmen game here. You hear it if you go to Kenya, mostly because just for the heck of it I decided hey what if I found the full versions of some of the tracks used in the game, i mean the US version was easy because someone compiled a playlist (I sent a youtube message to that person telling him I found a couple more but I haven't gotten a response)

Edited by iHeart

40 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Do Metallica tickets really cost $400 for the worse seats in the house? Apparently you can only buy in pairs.

Ticketmaster is offering single seats in the nosebleeds for $165 (before taxes and feefees). The worst seats in the house are 300 level adjacent to the stage where you can't see the light show or backdrop at all. There are at least some seats still available in the 300 level that actually face the stage.

I'm not going though. Nuts to those prices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While we all know songs like Love Shack and Rock Lobster (thank you Larry lobster on the vlts and family guy)  but I've been kinda digging some other old B52 songs. just weird AF and pretty much the kinda s*** i used to write with my buddy back when we were trippin balls and messin around with guitars and synths.  This would be a typical song we'd write;

On 2018-02-20 at 12:15 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Awesome album cover. OMG U not know of the KTEL connection? Gotta wiki that.

Xmas 82 got a canadian tire stereo receiver and two wee speakers. Cassette of this came with it. Thanks for the memories. 

K tel albums in Canada were subject to Can-Con laws. So you missed out on van halen and huey lewis to make way for Aldo Nova, Chilliwack and Loverboy on this one.

Edited by Zontar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2018-06-03 at 7:23 AM, Mark F said:

I would say they stole this tune from Henry Mancini who I guess didn't care

heh, the other night the band was in and one of our guys was really pushing for us to play Planet Claire ... but in the end we just wound up soloing on top of Peter Gunn for like 20 minutes. 

Edited by johnzo

11 minutes ago, johnzo said:

heh, the other night the band was in and one of our guys was really pushing for us to play Planet Claire ... but in the end we just soloed on top of Peter Gunn for like 20 minutes.

done that myself.

Henry was a top of the world level writer and orchestrator, and that tune showed that he could do whatever he wanted. Some of his tunes are mesmerizing.

like this one 

that is Bardot.... perfect photo for this tune.

Edited by Mark F

• 2 weeks later...