Shooting on Parliament Hill

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/gunman-killed-in-ottawa-3-shootings-confirmed-1.2065443

A gunman has been killed in Ottawa after three separate shootings in the nation's capital that saw Parliament Hill locked down and gripped the city with fear.

Authorities confirmed shots had been fired inside Parliament, at the National War Memorial and near the Rideau Centre shopping mall. At least two people are reportedly injured.

WATCH LIVE NOW: CTV News Special Coverage of Parliament Hill shooting

WATCH LIVE NOW: View from the scene as it happens in Ottawa

Meanwhile, sources have confirmed to CTV News that a gunman has been killed. Ottawa police will not confirm if the three shootings are the work of a lone gunman.

Earlier Wednesday, a solider was shot at the War Memorial and a security guard was wounded at Parliament Hill, which remains under lockdown.

Video captured inside Parliament showed officers filing down the empty halls of the Hall of Honour as at least a dozen shots can be heard ringing out in the background.

Jason MacDonald, director of communications for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, tweeted that Harper is safe and has left the area.

The RCMP is advising people to stay away from the area, and people in downtown Ottawa to stay away from windows and off of roofs.

Several MPs also took to Twitter to say that they were safe. Several described what they had heard, and many said they were in hiding.

MP Tony Clement tweeted that at least 30 shots were heard from inside the building, close to where the Conservatives and the Liberals hold their weekly caucus meetings.

Police confirmed that they received a call about shots being fired just before 10 a.m. on Wednesday morning. They said a man believed to be a member of the Canadian Forces was shot at the National War Memorial.

Witnesses at the memorial told CTV News' Katie Simpson that they saw a man with long hair carrying a rifle and heard four shots fired.

One witness told her that he saw the man with the rifle then run towards Parliament Hill.

The shooting comes two days after a man attacked two Canadian soldiers in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. One of those soldiers died from his injuries. The suspect was shot and killed by police.

On Tuesday, Canada raised the domestic terror threat level from low to medium

I'm thinking about Trudeau & Mulcair, especially Trudeau who said we should try to "understand" why terrorism starts & where it comes from. I wonder if they're still against our CF 18's going to Iraq now? Being slimeball politicians I'm sure they are even though ISIS is a clear threat on Canadian soil. 

Please oh please let the shooter be a Canadian born white boy from some farm out in the bush. For the sake of peaceful brown people everywhere. There is such a thing as domestic terrorism, and airstrikes in Iraq won't stop the Timothy McVeighs and FLQs of the world.

What an awful sentiment. Who cares the colour of skin involved? It's the ideology.

Obviously much to soon to speculate but people will speculate when the attack was on a soldier. Especially after the attack a few days ago.

You never want to politicize something like this but I admit to thinking on the many stupid things Trudeau has said.

Please oh please let the shooter be a Canadian born white boy from some farm out in the bush. For the sake of peaceful brown people everywhere. There is such a thing as domestic terrorism, and airstrikes in Iraq won't stop the Timothy McVeighs and FLQs of the world.

What an awful sentiment. Who cares the colour of skin involved? It's the ideology.

Obviously much to soon to speculate but people will speculate when the attack was on a soldier. Especially after the attack a few days ago.

You never want to politicize something like this but I admit to thinking on the many stupid things Trudeau has said.

I think the point there is that if it's the stereotype it just furthers said stereotype and leads to all sorts of prejudice and racism perpetuating further. If it were a born and raised white Canada it's hard to fly off the handle about Islam and muslims etc etc. 

I just hope the government doesn't use this as an excuse to go all 'Murica! and start taking away freedoms and rights in the name of safety because that's the worst possible response. 

I think the point there is that if it's the stereotype it just furthers said stereotype and leads to all sorts of prejudice and racism perpetuating further. If it were a born and raised white Canada it's hard to fly off the handle about Islam and muslims etc etc. 

I just hope the government doesn't use this as an excuse to go all 'Murica! and start taking away freedoms and rights in the name of safety because that's the worst possible response. 

You got it 17, sorry you missed my point TUP. Incase you aren't aware, following an event like 9/11 there was a lot of misdirected hatred towards anyone that even slightly resembled an arab. Sikhs and east Indians, middle eastern Jews... anyone with a beard and a tan, really... so ya, I sincerely hope this is some home grown psychosis so we don't have any more fuel added to the fire of racial intolerance and suspicion.

If the shooter did this due to islamic radicalization, then it's not a sterotype to say it was due to radical islam.  ofcourse you will always have the crazy people who are racists against others whether they be Middle Eastern, Indian, Black, White, etc.  But there *does* exist a declared war by radical Islam against the western world.

As for today, reports are the gunman *looks aborigional*.  Other reports have him carrying a flag with Abrabic writing on it.  Speculation is flying fast and furious certainly.  Given the attacks in Quebec, the reasonable thought would go towards terrorism but ofcourse it could be a lone nut.

Parliament Sgt-at-Arms Kevin Vickers is emerging as a hero, apparently killing the gunman as he approached the caucus chambers and then went back to his office to reload.

If the shooter did this due to islamic radicalization, then it's not a sterotype to say it was due to radical islam.  ofcourse you will always have the crazy people who are racists against others whether they be Middle Eastern, Indian, Black, White, etc.  But there *does* exist a declared war by radical Islam against the western world.

Yes there does exist such a thing, but having it carried out by those people is going to make life harder for people of the same race because people do go crazy with the stereotypes and racism, especially after something like this happens. 

Sounds like it was a Canadian national...32 years old. So unbelievably sad to see this happen on our own soil. Very curious how someone got inside the parliament building with a gun, whether or not it's connected to the Monday incident in Quebec, and how much CSIS knew about the potential for something like this and if it could have been prevented.

I lol'd at a few people at work who compared this to 9/11...  I was shocked to see how easily paranoid/scared people can get from an incident like this which IMO isn't nearly as huge as 9/11.

I was way more scared and disturbed that a lady could stuff 6 new borns dead in a storage locker...

Glad I could bring some cheer into this dark day!

Okay, I'm neither scared nor comparing this tragedy to 9/11, merely clarifying my reasoning why I hoped the killer was a homegrown white kid... preferably one named something like Ken or Doug or I dunno Brandon. Just look how quick people have been leaping to the conclusion this is somehow connected to ISIS before virtually any facts have come out (not on this board, just in general). As if our involvement in the crisis overseas is the only reason some nutbar could possibly have to 'attack the governement'

Make no mistake, this is tragic even if only one innocent life was lost. It certainly could have been worse, yet is going to be long discussed in Ottawa.

Well as it turns out it does appear to be related to Islamic terrorism.

Our Foreign Minister doesn't seem to think the killer was associated with ISIS/ISIL.

"Foreign Minister John Baird told the BBC gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was "certainly radicalised", but was not on a list of high-risk individuals. Mr Baird told the BBC there were no substantiated claims yet that Zehaf-Bibeau was associated with Islamic State."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29752077

I reiterate that people here on Canadian soil have more to fear from domestic terrorism than they do from foreign terrorism.

Well as it turns out it does appear to be related to Islamic terrorism.

Our Foreign Minister doesn't seem to think the killer was associated with ISIS/ISIL.

"Foreign Minister John Baird told the BBC gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was "certainly radicalised", but was not on a list of high-risk individuals. Mr Baird told the BBC there were no substantiated claims yet that Zehaf-Bibeau was associated with Islamic State."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29752077

I reiterate that people here on Canadian soil have more to fear from domestic terrorism than they do from foreign terrorism.

Correct.  The shooter does not appear to be apart of an organized attack but does appear to be influenced by the beliefs.  Remember, part of ISIS' MO is to encourage the "lone nuts" to attack within our countries.  So the connection is there.

This is a terrible incident and in no way am i saying i think it's cool, It's awful and brutal and cowardly and just basically every word you can think of that means "piece of **** move".

But i was pretty upset to see some of the headlines used by some of the media stations, Global i believe, their headline was "Canada under Attack".

Now, like i said, cowardy, POS move for sure but with that said, Was Canada really under attack. The media did make it seem like a 9/11 type of event, i was half expecting to see airplanes flying in to the parliament buildings, This is just one crazy guy upset cuz he couldn't get a passport going on a suicide mission,Yeah he killed an unarmed im assuming solider, Brutal, Heart wrenching for sure, No doubt..but the headline Canada under Attack was definitely pretty insulting to read. 

One guy, maybe 2 but sounds like just one guy... a frustrated angry crack head who from what it sounds like looked for begged for but didn't get any help for his problem, Turned to a religion and then took his anger out on an unarmed guy who had nothing to do with any of his problems or issues.

Cowardly yes. Canada Under Attack tho? Not exactly. 

And just for the record, i think these media stations and people who look to blame the religion for these actions of the cowards of the world, man c'mon, the religion didn't tell the guy to go kill an unarmed solider, this guy decided on his own... 

and then they report his name and tell us his back story, why do we do this? You know what this guy wanted, to be remembered and by the sounds of things, wanted help desperately for his problem but nobody really listened, I'm not advocating the cowards (im not using his name as i believe he shouldn't be known) actions but... to blame the religion? That's pure BS. THis guy decided to do it himself.

I work with some muslim folks and you know what, they are the nicest people in the world and i don't think the actions of a select few nutcases or insane people or just physco piles of crap really should really reflect the entire group. 

It's too bad tho that these guys give all of them a bad name and it's too bad, i'd hate to be that muslim person at work right now cuz you know what, for as nice as some of them are, we have all been told repeatedly by the media and the people in charge that they are not to be trusted. 

I dont think ISIS had anything to do with this, i really don't. Ofcourse they will take some credit cuz that's what they do but... the fact is.. this is just the actions of one crazy messed up individual who for a long time it seemed, was CRYING out for help. Nobody listened tho. 

Well media is going to use gripping headlines. Certainly the comparison to 9/11 is overblown. But the fact it turned out to be a lone shooter who cowardly killed a soldier from behind and was then killed doesn't change the circumstances at the time of the report

It seemed a lot more serious. And it could have been a lot more serious. If this guy got into the caucus room and murdered MP's maybe even the PM, would that particular headline be more accurate?

Fact is it was an attack on Canada as it was an attack on our seat of government. And I don't think we should under play as Canadians often do.

Read tonight that ISIS is urging their followers to continue to attack people in Canada. We're in this thing now even if people didn't want to believe it before.

This is a terrible incident and in no way am i saying i think it's cool, It's awful and brutal and cowardly and just basically every word you can think of that means "piece of **** move".

But i was pretty upset to see some of the headlines used by some of the media stations, Global i believe, their headline was "Canada under Attack".

Now, like i said, cowardy, POS move for sure but with that said, Was Canada really under attack. The media did make it seem like a 9/11 type of event, i was half expecting to see airplanes flying in to the parliament buildings, This is just one crazy guy upset cuz he couldn't get a passport going on a suicide mission,Yeah he killed an unarmed im assuming solider, Brutal, Heart wrenching for sure, No doubt..but the headline Canada under Attack was definitely pretty insulting to read. 

One guy, maybe 2 but sounds like just one guy... a frustrated angry crack head who from what it sounds like looked for begged for but didn't get any help for his problem, Turned to a religion and then took his anger out on an unarmed guy who had nothing to do with any of his problems or issues.

Cowardly yes. Canada Under Attack tho? Not exactly. 

And just for the record, i think these media stations and people who look to blame the religion for these actions of the cowards of the world, man c'mon, the religion didn't tell the guy to go kill an unarmed solider, this guy decided on his own... 

and then they report his name and tell us his back story, why do we do this? You know what this guy wanted, to be remembered and by the sounds of things, wanted help desperately for his problem but nobody really listened, I'm not advocating the cowards (im not using his name as i believe he shouldn't be known) actions but... to blame the religion? That's pure BS. THis guy decided to do it himself.

I work with some muslim folks and you know what, they are the nicest people in the world and i don't think the actions of a select few nutcases or insane people or just physco piles of crap really should really reflect the entire group. 

It's too bad tho that these guys give all of them a bad name and it's too bad, i'd hate to be that muslim person at work right now cuz you know what, for as nice as some of them are, we have all been told repeatedly by the media and the people in charge that they are not to be trusted. 

I dont think ISIS had anything to do with this, i really don't. Ofcourse they will take some credit cuz that's what they do but... the fact is.. this is just the actions of one crazy messed up individual who for a long time it seemed, was CRYING out for help. Nobody listened tho. 

There's more this than you think.  Islamic extremists do not just occur by random chance.  There are schools in the middle east where these people are trained.  Trained to be violent and trained to have a very narrow world view. Does that have anything to do with the shootings in Ottawa?  Maybe not.  Does Canada need to be on the alert?  You better believe it.

But it's really not Islam, the truth is it's the consequences of Colonialism.  The Middle East is fighting back,using the Islamic religion as their vehicle for doing so.