Bud Grant statue unveiled at IGF

Rod Black

This is great news. A super individual representing a fantastic sport. Loved by NFL, and CFL fans. Brought hope and success to Viking and Bomber fans, a giant among men.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/blue-bombers-unveil-statue-of-coaching-legend-bud-grant-1.2810492?cmp=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

It's a great statue, but if you had no knowledge of the history Bombers, it actually tells you as much or more about the people who paid for it than it does about Bud Grant. How about a plaque listing some of his accomplishments?

Maybe I'm not to lunch but considering the statue is at the Blue Bombers home stadium, I think it's rather safe to assume the very large majority of those who visit Investors Group Field may know a thing or two about the history of the organization and Bud Grant.  ;)

It's a great statue, but if you had no knowledge of the history Bombers, it actually tells you as much or more about the people who paid for it than it does about Bud Grant. How about a plaque listing some of his accomplishments?

Statue is a great idea. Too bad we don't officially retire player numbers.

I know some teams like Pitts/Dallas don't retire numbers and just take them out of service but it definitely looks better when you see names and numbers in a stadium.

That is a visible history.

Isn't there a plaque attached to the statue of grant letting people know of his accomplishments? Pretty sure unless i was dreaming of that. Don't think i was.

Great Idea tho and even tho I wasn't around for BUD, I appreciate the guy and what he means to the history of this team, Yeah he seems to be getting up there but... man that guy sounds like he could still inspire. What a great honor really. Well deserved for a true legend in bomber history. 

Statue is a great idea. Too bad we don't officially retire player numbers.

I know some teams like Pitts/Dallas don't retire numbers and just take them out of service but it definitely looks better when you see names and numbers in a stadium.

That is a visible history.

If you start retiring numbers in football you might run out of numbers. When was the last time you saw a Bomber playing wearing #85 though? Or #6? There's a few numbers around here that just don't get used. 

I had coffee with Gordie Rowland this morning and he remarked how great Bud Grant memory is.

How he mentioned players at different years, Gordie also mentioned how good Phil Minnick looks.

Phil lives up Pinawa way and likes the lakes etc.

Heaven on earth, right there...

I'm sure it's a great honour for Bud Grant and truly deserved.  

I wonder why there wasn't a presentation during the game instead of some closed presentation available only to the media?  If it's because of his age (must be late 87-89 years old by now) I can understand.  But if Grant was willing to do this - have the presentation available to the general public or at halftime during the game, then it's disappointing that the Bombers didn't follow through.  The team needs all the good publicity it can get after the past 7 seasons.  Having a ceremony that excludes the public looks terrible.

Is Bud in the running for best CFL coach ever?  I would think so.  Didn't put up as many wins as Buono or Matthews did (only because he went to the Vikings), but his winning percentage is one of the best ever and he won 4 Grey Cups in 10 years.

If you start retiring numbers in football you might run out of numbers. When was the last time you saw a Bomber playing wearing #85 though? Or #6? There's a few numbers around here that just don't get used. 

Josh Portis wears #6 now.  I think they first gave it out to Brett Cameron in training camp last year and now it seems it's just another number.

I think the only other QB-ish number we have available right now is #10.  Strange they didn't give Portis #10 instead of #6.

Josh Portis wears #6 now.  I think they first gave it out to Brett Cameron in training camp last year and now it seems it's just another number.

I think the only other QB-ish number we have available right now is #10.  Strange they didn't give Portis #10 instead of #6.

I did not know that, cut portis immediately!