Interesting Article about rookies vs vets

Tehedra

This is an interesting article I found on the cfl.ca forums, lapolice talks about our previous GM who did not believe in signing other teams FA's or cuts.  It discusses how vets vs rookies look and why sometimes you need vets. Is a very good article and what I like most about it is I feel Walters understands that you need a mixture of both. 

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/lapolice-how-experience-can-help-down-the-stretch-1.97077

This has been out for a while right? And it might as well be called "Lapo makes excuses for his own failures as HC"

lol although I believe that Lapo was not a great HC I do also believe this highlights some of the problems the previous regime altogether had prior to Walters taking over. 

"When I was the head coach in Winnipeg, I struggled and always lost in arguments with the general manager's insistence to never sign players from other teams." - Paul LaPolice

This answers a fundamental question many of us wondered about why the Bombers didn't sign one or two or more of those veterans that we know would have helped our team.

And that is absolute bullfrog.

This was a colossal failure of a GM who is supposed to work hand in hand with his Head Coach.

You can have your philosophy, but if it interferes too much with what your HC is trying to do, then you are restricting and tying his hands in competing in the league.

I now have more information in giving LaPolice more slack in my opinion of him.

Ditto a change in opinion towards Mack, he's beginning to look more and more like a giant Eeyore in my eyes.

It is sounding more and more like the opinions of many on this board that Mack was an arrogant, bull-headed individual who saw himself as being able to almost singlehandedly rebuild the Bombers using scouting and his own infallibility in drafting. LaPolice had his failings as well, but Mack and those who hired him are largely responsible for the mess.

Always 2 sides to every story, To me this sounds like LAPO making excuses but... i'm sure there is some truth to it. Where it stops being the truth and starts being fiction is anyones guess though really.

Lapo wasn't a good coach, he micromanaged things way too much when he was here, had his hand it too many hats.. It's easy for him to blame MACK for his short comings... But really, what it tells me is LAPO has some sour grapes going on and can't admit that he failed as a coach too.

Maybe, probably not maybe but maybe Lapo is right in what he is saying but... at the same time, i've never heard LAPO take any of the blame either. 

Do have to admit, it's an interesting way to talk about a guy who gave you your first head coaching job in the CFL and probably your last.

Honestly, Lapo comes across as being a bit arrogant at times and stubborn as well, he seems set in his ways... Coaches at times need to admit to their own mistakes too and i've yet to read anything about lapo doing that.

LAPO is not without blame himself, he pretty much scape goated baressi and did quite a bit of other questionable things as a coach also.

Always 2 sides to the story, would love to hear MACKS but we will never get it cuz MACK aint around like LAPO is.

Mack is probably at home in North Carolina not really worrying about what went wrong with the team, Meanwhile LAPO comes across as being a bit bitter and kind of holding a grudge of some sort, which is odd cuz LAPO wasn't exactly without his flaws too. 

Always 2 sides to every story, To me this sounds like LAPO making excuses but... i'm sure there is some truth to it. Where it stops being the truth and starts being fiction is anyones guess though really.

Lapo wasn't a good coach, he micromanaged things way too much when he was here, had his hand it too many hats.. It's easy for him to blame MACK for his short comings... But really, what it tells me is LAPO has some sour grapes going on and can't admit that he failed as a coach too.

Maybe, probably not maybe but maybe Lapo is right in what he is saying but... at the same time, i've never heard LAPO take any of the blame either. 

Do have to admit, it's an interesting way to talk about a guy who gave you your first head coaching job in the CFL and probably your last.

Honestly, Lapo comes across as being a bit arrogant at times and stubborn as well, he seems set in his ways... Coaches at times need to admit to their own mistakes too and i've yet to read anything about lapo doing that.

LAPO is not without blame himself, he pretty much scape goated baressi and did quite a bit of other questionable things as a coach also.

Always 2 sides to the story, would love to hear MACKS but we will never get it cuz MACK aint around like LAPO is.

Mack is probably at home in North Carolina not really worrying about what went wrong with the team, Meanwhile LAPO comes across as being a bit bitter and kind of holding a grudge of some sort, which is odd cuz LAPO wasn't exactly without his flaws too. 

The article isn't about what went wrong in Winnipeg, the article is about the value a veteran player can bring to a team.  Why would he talk about his part to blame on what went wrong.

Did he use it to take a veiled shot at his old boss?  Sure.

But to imply he doesn't place any blame on himself because you never heard him say it is a bit ridiculous.  Any coach who has made it to the level he has has learned to critique and evaluate his methods and refine.  Has learned to pull from their mistakes and learn going forward.  That is just human nature.  I do this in my job all the time after a project or after something has gone wrong.   If Lapo doesn't do this, I'm surprised he would have made it as far as he did.

Lapo was a rookie head coach, of course he made mistakes.  And I'm pretty damn sure he knows it.

just based on the impression from Paul Lapolice,  when he was coach, sideline, and the rest of it,

I will go ahead and  guess that he's probably really good at endless self analysis about what he did wrong.

agree, his  article is not about what he did right and wrong. Why should he write about that anyway?

No shortage of people to  take care of explaining what he did wrong, as shown above.

go bombers!