The BEER thread

bluto

13 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Has anyone checked out Craft Beer Market at the corner of Grant and Pembina recently? They renovated and the entire front portion of the store is now single cans and bottles. The variety is incredible.

Yes, and it's great. Lots to choose from. Maybe better than the LC (Grant Park) now for single can selection. I haven't really compared for scientific purposes. 

The back is a bit confusing and hard to find stuff. But I'll get used to it. 

Edited by JCon

• 4 months later...

Just an update... CBM is truly the best beer store in town. I was there the week before last and got carried away. The selection is overwhelming.

Anyway, I've been here before but I'm in Yellowknife this week for work. I know it's way, way off the beaten path for most but if you're ever up here, NWT Brewing Co. is a must visit for any beer lover. Located on the edge of Old Town (roughly a ten-minute walk from downtown), it consists of the brewery and a brewpub called The Woodyard (excellent pub grub in a very rustic, location-specific setting). Their core brews consist of four offerings (a cream ale, a pale ale, a brown ale, and an IPA). They also offer several more on a rotational basis (12 taps in total in the taproom). I had a nitro porter and a seasonal IPA the other night and both were quite good. Yesterday, I had a raspberry wit which was surprisingly tasty and an ESB with Earl Grey infused in it which was absolutely delicious.

There's also a growler bar and a merch counter. I really can't say enough about this place.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

maybe it's time to stop assuming people will just flock to brand loyalty as all mass produced beers are largely the same. 

Honestly there's a market out there for mass produced beer that is of great variety in my opinion. Doesn't have to be all super hoppy IPAs either. Offer people something with some malt character that isn't just a super sweet mess. 

Course they might have to brew with actual barley to do that rather than rice or corn syrup. 

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

maybe it's time to stop assuming people will just flock to brand loyalty as all mass produced beers are largely the same. 

Honestly there's a market out there for mass produced beer that is of great variety in my opinion. Doesn't have to be all super hoppy IPAs either. Offer people something with some malt character that isn't just a super sweet mess. 

Course they might have to brew with actual barley to do that rather than rice or corn syrup. 

I'd still prefer to support a small business that uses locally grown (as much as possible) ingredients. The Farm to table aspect of the craft beer industry is still a really big part of it to me... 

...as I sit here sipping a Township Stolen Canoe and ponder the industry... 

Read this in NP this morning

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tyler-dawson-stop-glorifying-craft-beer-its-overpriced-and-still-bad-for-you

Just posting it as I'm not sure wtf his point is. Drinking too much is bad so don't do it in brew-pubs?????

I admit to drinking Coors Light in the summer when it is hot, but Kelowna is seeing a lot of micros popping up and it's nice to go for a beer to try something new. I just don't do it as often as I do wineries as my wife can't drink beer.

2 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

Read this in NP this morning

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/tyler-dawson-stop-glorifying-craft-beer-its-overpriced-and-still-bad-for-you

Just posting it as I'm not sure wtf his point is. Drinking too much is bad so don't do it in brew-pubs?????

I admit to drinking Coors Light in the summer when it is hot, but Kelowna is seeing a lot of micros popping up and it's nice to go for a beer to try something new. I just don't do it as often as I do wineries as my wife can't drink beer.

wonder how much that ****** was paid by the big companies to write that nonsense. 

As for Kelowna, I was highly disappointed when I was out there September long weekend I couldn't try any of the new ones that popped up. Wanted to go to Barn Owl but just didn't have time, tried to go to the place that was right next to the UBCO campus but naturally they discriminated against having minors in the place and apparently my wife didn't like the idea of my going in without them.... 

I have tried the couple that sprung up downtownish a couple years ago, but damned if I remember what they're called. BNA had some nice beers but there are two others nearby that I would give mixed reviews to. 

• 4 years later...
23 minutes ago, JCon said:

We had a big initial expansion and it's not surprising that we're now seeing some contraction in the craft beer market. 

Beer has been brutally taxed leading to a dramatic loss of market share over the past 15 years. Craft beers were subjected to this as well and it is very difficult for small breweries to be affordable. I wish Stone Angel the best and will miss it. I had really hoped the neighborhood brewpub would have caught on. Sadly. post covid the hospitality industry is just hurting badly.

6 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Oh for sure, the bubble has been growing for some time, there could be more to follow. Just that Stone Angel was my Friday after work patio place. Always felt welcome, dirty boots and all. Hate to see it go.

I hear ya. Some great establishments have bit the dust post covid and it's especially sad to see one of our microbrewery pub houses go because they were a great little concept that just couldn't fly. A few years ago, before Barley Brothers came into being, I just about partnered up with the FB group on building one and then our research led us to this inevitable conclusion. Margins were just too small. FB group pivoted and went with the Barley Bros concept and I stepped aside, I just felt it too was risky.

Edited by GCn20

Saw the news and was trading messages with them last night...... just ruined my week. Winnipeg doesn't have THAT MANY breweries that you should be seeing a "bubble burst" right now... this is really sad. It was absolutely THE place to be before a Bombers game. Onkel's on the patio at SA on a warm Manitoba summer afternoon pre-Bombers game? Just nothing finer... there are some on here who have made outrageous claims about SA and their production methods (and quality of output) but I've never had a beer there that I didn't enjoy. Paul's sometimes "crusty" exterior was a big part of the charm of the vibe as well... support your locals folks.... you don't know what you've got until it's gone.