How Good is MOS at Evaluating Talent?

BigBlue

At the beginning of the season an injured player had a very hard time getting back on the field. Excellent talents like Johnny Sears couldn't find his way into the lineup. We had Grigsby over Cotton, Kuale keeping Wild off the field and limiting his playing time, and Bryant being handed a starting role when it seemed like he didn't deserve it.

Is O'Shea a good evaluator of talent? Does sentiment and past loyalty cloud his judgment? Does he have the confidence of his own convictions? Does he defer too much to his coordinators and coaches?

And the biggest question of all is how much has Michael O'Shea learned about being a head coach and a leader this year?

I have no idea if MOS can evaluate talent or not.

I would suspect he can.

But I would like to find out the reasoning behind decisions many of us can't understand.

The insistence of playing 'speedster' Romby Bryant. Is this fully his decision or is it in discussion with MB and the need to fit his system?

Seems to me, the OC should have total control of who he wants playing at any given time, and if he doesn't have those players..then he should talk to the HC and GM.

That, obviously would include another roster player…Nic Grigsby. Why so long with this guy?

Where was that guy who could get you that reliable catch consistently…JF-Gudino?

The O-Line is entirely a different matter, but it seems some of the hogs are letting the mystery out the equation, by pointing at the blocking system…not all on the blockers in that system.

You then can flip it to the defensive side as to questions of playing/not playing Wild, Sears, Kuale..although I suspect Kuale is his baby. Not sure why.

How much did he allow the DC to name his starters?

We do realize the ratio had a big, domino effect on certain players, but it still is worrisome some changes couldn't have been made earlier.

No, MOS knows talent, but how, and when to use them may be an entirely different matter.

I believe that playing Grigsby and Kuale as long as he did and not playing Sears cost the Bombers 3-4 games. Etch is responsible for another 3-4 himself.

So you think this is a 14-3 team with a MLB, Cotton and a new DC?

I may have exaggerated slightly, but I firmly believe Bombers are a 10 win team with those adjustments. A few stupid moves cost us the playoffs this year.

O'Shea is a rookie head coach and is expected to make mistakes, but the pattern of his choices is becoming worrisome. Its not too late for him to review the year, learn from his mistakes and correct them. I hope that Walters is wise enough to have a chat with O'Shea and that O'Shea is wise enough to listen. O'Shea will not get another chance to be a head coach if he gasses this one.

The insistence of playing 'speedster' Romby Bryant.

I know no one is allowed to say anything complimentary about Romby, but I will say this - when what appeared to be coverage sacks started to escalate in the last game I paid more attention to the receivers.  The coverage was tight and Willy should have thrown it away most of the time.  But one of those times (sack #9?) there was a receiver open over the middle, at least as open as any receiver was going to be that night.  It was Romby.  So if you're OShea and you're watching game film with the receivers, how do you sell benching the one guy who got separation from a DB when it was desperately needed and the other 4 guys didn't?

It was one play, and yes, there isn't much chemistry between Bryant and Willy, but when we needed to move the ball he got open in first down territory.  He doesn't grade out to an F on every single play like some think he does.  Denmark and Kohlert had a better night (and a sensational catch each), other than that, who?  Watson and new guy?  I thought Romby did more than them.  I don't even recall Feoli-G being on the field offensively.

I would not expect to see him or Kelly or new guy back next year.

I know no one is allowed to say anything complimentary about Romby, but I will say this - when what appeared to be coverage sacks started to escalate in the last game I paid more attention to the receivers.  The coverage was tight and Willy should have thrown it away most of the time.  But one of those times (sack #9?) there was a receiver open over the middle, at least as open as any receiver was going to be that night.  It was Romby.  So if you're OShea and you're watching game film with the receivers, how do you sell benching the one guy who got separation from a DB when it was desperately needed and the other 4 guys didn't?

It was one play, and yes, there isn't much chemistry between Bryant and Willy, but when we needed to move the ball he got open in first down territory.  He doesn't grade out to an F on every single play like some think he does.  Denmark and Kohlert had a better night (and a sensational catch each), other than that, who?  Watson and new guy?  I thought Romby did more than them.  I don't even recall Feoli-G being on the field offensively.

Your point is taken, shaken and dismissed. JK

But really, there was a play where Cotton was wide open, for multi yards, and I'm sure we could find multiple instances where we spot the 'Waldo'.

That just wasn't Willy's game for sure.

But If Bryant was consistently open, then they have to find a way to get him the ball.

And that's on MB.

But is he open consistently? We just don't know.

We do know that Willy and Bryant never seem to be in the same ball park, never mind the same page, so what's that worth?

Your point is taken, shaken and dismissed. JK

But really, there was a play where Cotton was wide open, for multi yards, and I'm sure we could find multiple instances where we spot the 'Waldo'.

That just wasn't Willy's game for sure.

But If Bryant was consistently open, then they have to find a way to get him the ball.

And that's on MB.

But is he open consistently? We just don't know.

We do know that Willy and Bryant never seem to be in the same ball park, never mind the same page, so what's that worth?

I'm not making an argument to keep Bryant, just addressing why he hasn't been benched yet.  Which is probably a response to a comment that isn't in this thread now that I think of it.

Bryant does an alright job of getting separation most of the time, which is probably why he's still out there, but him and Willy just are not seeing the field the same way, which makes it all moot.

All i know is for as much as maybe some pretend, gotta be kidding if any of us think we actually know more than MOS and the coaches. 

I put it on the coordinators for keeping guys in who maybe shouldn't have been in, but really we aren't privy to all the information that the coaches have. And we shouldn't be.

Pretty sure when MOS was hired he said a couple things that stood out ... 1. our D and special teams will have to be good cuz our O is going to be a work in progress, becoming a well oiled offensive machine don't really happen over night, especially when your OLINE is garbage.  and 2. That he was going to lean on his coordinators this year, like most rookie coaches seem to do, lean on their coordinators and the people they are familiar with.

Who do i blame? I guess that 5-1 start is to blame because it kind of disguised for a bit that we really aren't as close as some probably thought we were when we were 5-1. 

We have lost a fair number of games by a touchdown or less, so... maybe we aren't as bad as some even think. With a few changes and upgrades, especially Oline and getting a go to receiver who can stay healthy, love DENMARK but when it's just DENMARK and Only Denmark, you ain't got much.

People wonder why kelly say?  Because he was invisible most games. Yeah those big catches stood out but they didn't happen very often.

We aren't privy to all the info that the coaches are and rightfully so... It is kind of like the posts where people are complaining about o'shea prasing the team and being all "i was shocked".. what do you want the guy to say? Yeah we missed the playoffs, i figure we would cuz we suck? Nope no coach is going to say that...

It's crazy, go from a coach last year who threw players under the bus, people complained about that, to one who doesn't throw players under the bus in the media and what do some do? complain about it. It's crazy. Totally not relevant to this topic but agree with those who suggest that maybe after losses, the site should be locked for 12 or so hours so people can calm down and relax. 

I don't think it's a problem with MOS being unable to see who the better players are, I think he knows damned well who the better players are, I think the problem he had was an unwillingness to make changes to the roster if someone was playing OK. A big part of being successful is knowing when to make a move and when you should replace someone who isn't doing anything wrong because the guy behind him is better. 5-1 to start and then a bunch of close losses made it seem that things were close so they kept hoping the mistakes on the field would be taken care of and the wins would come. We saw though after some blow out losses that he changed up the roster, that tells me that a lesson was learned.

I don't even recall Feoli-G being on the field offensively

Since there was a spark every time that guy went in, and the team had come back wins from his play,

I think this is another screw up by the coaches, not playing him more. 

I would like to hear the coach explain what this guy lacks that they don't play him more.

stupid decision.

I don't even recall Feoli-G being on the field offensively

Since there was a spark every time that guy went in, and the team had come back wins from his play,

I think this is another screw up by the coaches, not playing him more.

I would like to hear the coach explain what this guy lacks that they don't play him more.

stupid decision.

O'Shea explained that earlier in the season. They play Watson over JFG because Watson is a much better blocker.

I don't think it's a problem with MOS being unable to see who the better players are, I think he knows damned well who the better players are, I think the problem he had was an unwillingness to make changes to the roster if someone was playing OK. A big part of being successful is knowing when to make a move and when you should replace someone who isn't doing anything wrong because the guy behind him is better. 5-1 to start and then a bunch of close losses made it seem that things were close so they kept hoping the mistakes on the field would be taken care of and the wins would come. We saw though after some blow out losses that he changed up the roster, that tells me that a lesson was learned

How sweet that is! He actually made two changes that counted but way, way too late.. Cotton and Sears came in just when we were to go into the hardest part of the schedule.  The timing was like those who decided to rearrange chairs on the deck.

Good reasoning though! We have a head coach who knows damned well who the better players are but is unwilling to play them because the OK guys had won 5 games and lost many close ones. So we keep our better players for when exactly? And, Sears came in only because the King of useless and penalties got hurt.

I think MOS needs to give performance a higher rating when deciding who to start

Comments like Romby Bryant makes those around him better fly in the face of this ... makes me question his sanity

MOS does put too much emphasis in certain areas over others. He is thrilled with Bryant's work ethics and remarks how he puts in extra time, and passes on this information to the younger receivers. A mentor.

His belief that Bryant 'opens' the field for everybody is not backed up by performance on the field.

Loyalty to the nth. 

Hopefully in talks with the coaches and Walters, things will be put in better perspective going forward.

I think MOS needs to give performance a higher rating when deciding who to start

Comments like Romby Bryant makes those around him better fly in the face of this ... makes me question his sanity

MOS does put too much emphasis in certain areas over others. He is thrilled with Bryant's work ethics and remarks how he puts in extra time, and passes on this information to the younger receivers. A mentor.

His belief that Bryant 'opens' the field for everybody is not backed up by performance on the field.

Loyalty to the nth.

Hopefully in talks with the coaches and Walters, things will be put in better perspective going forward.

Sounds like Romby should be an assistant WR coach, not an actual WR.

" Hopefully in talks with the coaches and Walters, things will be put in better perspective going forward."

I can't seem to figure out whether MOS listens too much or not enough .... what I do detect is a bull-headed stubborn streak ... I hope I am wrong but there is something bugging me about him and my radar keeps going off saying "Warning Will Smith - Warning!!!"