Kane Trade Rumours

Fun to discuss regardless of source.  But Eklund "reports" Montreal and Islanders are chasing down Kane.  He further reports that several other teams "dropped out" indicating the price is "very high".

So, Im not much to analyze player values.  Who do the Habs and Isles have that we'd want in a trade for Kane?

It's EKLUND so, there is no truth to any of this so it's not worth talking about. Give me a source other than Eklund and Then i'll talk about it but since it's here, just want it to be clear tho..this guy is known to blow smoke out of peoples asses all the time. 

Habs? NOBODY at all.. 

Isles? a lot but doubt they would be willing to move what it would take to get him. 

I'd imagine a first round pick would be needed and the Isles don't have one and the HABS pick probably wouldn't be enough.

Habs? Start with either Gallagher or Galychenyuk, That's probably reality so in other words... Not happening

Isles? where do i begin but they don't have a first round pick so Not happening. 

I'm not much for rumours, but just taking this at face value the reason a deal never gets done for Kane is because the Jets essentially want Kane in return - a guy who can put up decent points and has some term left on a reasonably-priced contract.  Does either team have a player like that?  I dunno.  I'll gladly take Tavares.

Kane's looked pretty good since returning from injury.  He's been fast and physical, effective defensively too.  Why is this rumour out there now?  Wait until he makes a tongue-in-cheek comment on Twitter that everyone can take waaaaay too seriously.  Then start the trade rumours.

Unless Kane has asked to be moved, i doubt it, i don't see him getting moved anytime soon, if at all. Every time POMO talks, he says kane is pretty much the prime example of what the Jets are all about, Speed,Size etc. Kane also looks to be having a good time out there, frustrated i'm sure because of the lack of scoring but he looks like he's having fun and trying his ass off to make a difference every shift. He's been a good boy too and just the definition of what you want in a hockey player. These rumors are bogus, they always are with EKLUND, the guy just makes stuff up constantly. 

If you believe Eklund, The flyers would have had kane by now or some other team, today i guess is a slow day so he decided to write about Montreal and New York. 

Jets have a ton of depth in goal... It's actually their biggest strength really..

Let's just forget about Pavelec for a second, They got Hutch,Helle,Comrie,Kasdorf (really solid year at school), Budaj even. Goaltending is not really a need for them actually. Besides, I think I'd rather have Fucale over Tokarski but really we have no room or need for another "backup" goalie. 

Montreal? 

It would have to start with  Gallagher, Jets aren't giving Kane away for free.. you need someone to replace Kane and Gallagher would probably best fit the fold, he might get killed in the West tho. Then you add from there since Nobody is forcing the Jets to move kane, Someone wants Kane? They have to overpay...

Gallagher, a D prospect (Beuulieu,Tinordi or even Greg Pateryn) and a 1st on top of that even.

Jets only trade Kane if they get a significant over payment

Islanders? 

They don't have a 1st in 2015 so I don't think they are a likely trading partner, They have a ton of talent tho, I'm just not sure they are willing to move the guys it would take to get Kane.. You gotta think Strome or Nelson to start, Maybe De Haan or Griffin Reinhardt, plus something else I'm sure.

Jets only trade Kane if someone over pays. 

Pacioretty and a goalie and a pick is not over paying... That's the JEts getting screwed really. 

Why?

Just the way Kane talked about Winnipeg in the off season and the way Chevy talked about Kane. I think Kane respects the game enough and his agent is smart enough that they knew they had to sign the contract they did. I think being a professional Kane quietly made it known he'd prefer to move on but wasn't going to rock the boat about it.

I think there were significant trade discussions at the deadline and the draft. But the Jets aren't going to trade him unless its an over payment. At least not yet. We'll see what happens when he gets farther into his contract.

All you need to do to see Kane doesn't want out of Winnipeg is watch him play.

Disagree. 

You can deal in speculation. I'll deal in what I can actually see and measure.

You have no way of measuring Kane's desire level when it comes to playing in Winnipeg.  Unless you are close personal friends with him or his agent.

Disagree. 

You have no way of measuring Kane's desire level when it comes to playing in Winnipeg.  Unless you are close personal friends with him or his agent.

I can watch him play balls to the wall, pedal to the floor every shift he's out there. I can hear him talk about how he's excited to play with Scheif and Wheels. I can see him try and get the home crowd into the game and how his energy translates to his attitude on the ice.

You can ... read some articles?

Disagree. 

I can watch him play balls to the wall, pedal to the floor every shift he's out there. I can hear him talk about how he's excited to play with Scheif and Wheels. I can see him try and get the home crowd into the game and how his energy translates to his attitude on the ice.

You do realise that you're watching of him playing hockey for which he is paid a significant amount of money has nothing to do with the question of his desire level to play in Winnipeg, right? I mean, you *do* understand that, right?

Disagree. 

You do realise that you're watching of him playing hockey for which he is paid a significant amount of money has nothing to do with the question of his desire level to play in Winnipeg, right? I mean, you *do* understand that, right?

And no player in the history of professional sports has ever let their desire to leave a city outweigh their obligation to perform their job at a high level with a clear sense of enthusiasm, right?

Don't get me wrong. I think Kane wanted out at one point.

I don't think he does anymore and the difference in his attitude is night and day.

Disagree. 

And no player in the history of professional sports has ever let their desire to leave a city outweigh their obligation to perform their job at a high level with a clear sense of enthusiasm, right?

Don't get me wrong. I think Kane wanted out at one point.

I don't think he does anymore and the difference in his attitude is night and day.

So because there are examples in history of players playing poorly because they want out of a city it means all players who want out must play poorly?  Bad logic there.

Kane has virtually zero options if he wants out of Winnipeg.  Playing poorly isnt one of them.  He can gamble and publicly demand a trade but that doesnt mean the Jets would trade him and it ham strings the Jets in their ability to get full value for him which ultimately impacts whether they'd make the deal.  He could do something egregious in the community but again, that doesnt mean he'd get traded and also impacts his value.  He could play poorly, but again, it doesnt force the Jets' hand and it hurts his value.

A player in Kane's position has basically one option: quietly ask for a trade and play as hard as he can and be as strong a professional as he can be and hope for the best.

His comments about Scheif and Wheeler mean nothing because it has nothing to do with playing in Winnipeg.  Plus, no player ever says "Nah, I'd rather play with...."

During the off-season he made several remarks that were at best, less than fully supportive of playing in Winnipeg and overtly hinted at a potential trade "Right now Im a Winnipeg Jet" etc.  Chevy also made comments (cant recall if it was deadline or draft but I think it was draft) that he had trade options that required ownership involvement.  That doesnt mean Kane for sure, but Kane would be one of the very few players where a GM would publicly admit he had to call in Mark Chipman for trade negotiations.

I'd also put stock in guys like Bob Mackenzie and Gary Lawless who many times referred to Kane and the Jets as having to make a decision on his future.  I do believe that decision was to sit down and discuss his future.  And I think the Jets made it clear they wanted Kane long term and had no intention of trading him for anything less than the value they believed he was worth to them for the next several years.  In turn, I think Kane said he would absolutely honour the contract he signed but would prefer a trade if the opportunity arose.

I think thats why Kane's attitude has changed since the draft. I think a trade was presented and the Jets made the decision to keep him.  As a result, they sat down and hashed it out.

I think the Jets probably get inquiries about Kane all the time and they probably respond by saying "We have no intention of trading Kane but if you have an offer to make, we'll always listen".  They need to be blown away.  And ofcourse, that blow away offer will change as the years go by.  What makes Kane valuable right now is his talent and his contract.  At least one of those changes from year to year.

So because there are examples in history of players playing poorly because they want out of a city it means all players who want out must play poorly?  Bad logic there.

You missed the part where I said with enthusiasm. There's showing up to do your job and then there's showing up to do your job with enthusiasm. The difference is fairly obvious when it comes to Kane.

Kane has virtually zero options if he wants out of Winnipeg.  Playing poorly isnt one of them.  He can gamble and publicly demand a trade but that doesnt mean the Jets would trade him and it ham strings the Jets in their ability to get full value for him which ultimately impacts whether they'd make the deal.  He could do something egregious in the community but again, that doesnt mean he'd get traded and also impacts his value.  He could play poorly, but again, it doesnt force the Jets' hand and it hurts his value.

Every player has options. In this day and age, you can force a trade quite easily. It may not happen quickly but players control the ability to basically dictate their future however they choose. Kane dictated his by signing a long term deal here.

His comments about Scheif and Wheeler mean nothing because it has nothing to do with playing in Winnipeg.  Plus, no player ever says "Nah, I'd rather play with...."

They have a ton to do with playing in Winnipeg. Especially when a player like Kane goes out of his way to make them.

I think thats why Kane's attitude has changed since the draft. I think a trade was presented and the Jets made the decision to keep him.  As a result, they sat down and hashed it out.

To me the reason Kane's attitude has changed has a lot more to do with the vibe inside the locker room than anything else. A coaching change can solve a lot of problems.

You missed the part where I said with enthusiasm. There's showing up to do your job and then there's showing up to do your job with enthusiasm. The difference is fairly obvious when it comes to Kane.

Every player has options. In this day and age, you can force a trade quite easily. It may not happen quickly but players control the ability to basically dictate their future however they choose. Kane dictated his by signing a long term deal here.

They have a ton to do with playing in Winnipeg. Especially when a player like Kane goes out of his way to make them.

To me the reason Kane's attitude has changed has a lot more to do with the vibe inside the locker room than anything else. A coaching change can solve a lot of problems.

Come on Mike.

Ill repeat myself mostly but here goes:

Kane played with "enthusiasm" last year too.  And the year before.  You stated you believed there was a time when he wanted out, so when was this time that he was playing poorly on purpose?  In my job and probably yours, if you perform poorly long enough you get shown the door.  Doesnt always work that way in hockey.  Also, to imply that a guy busting his ass means he wants to play for Winnipeg also means a player not busting his ass wants out.  So Buff wants out?  Because he busts his ass about 60% of the time.  Or does he only want out on Tuesdays and Thursdays but wants to play for Winnipeg on Mondays and Fridays?

A kid who grew up on hockey and gets it will always play hard.  Kane is very, very competitive.  No one is doubting that.  His playing hard has zero to do with his desire for Winnipeg.  The only way his on-ice play could possibly be impacted by his desire to play here would be is there was literally a miserable, nasty, stressful, toxic environment here for him. I've never said that.  I said he'd prefer to play somewhere else, not that he hates being here.

Show me when a hockey player has ever been asked "How do you like your linemates" and he answered negatively.

Kane's unique position does not make it easy for him to force a trade "quite easily".  He didnt sign a long term contract because his dream is to play in Winnipeg.  He signed a long term contract because he had very limited options.  He was an RFA who waited until the last possible moment to sign.  He received no offer sheets.  What was he going to do?  Keep in mind, he signed on the eve of a lockout where the players had no idea what the economic landscape would look like in the future.  He made the only business decision he could...and he still waited until the last minute.

I agree that Maurice has a better relationship with Kane than Noel and the coaching change likely makes playing here a more enjoyable experience for him as opposed to last season when he was openly disrespectful to his coach.  But think about this: if Kane was a free agent tomorrow and every team made the exact same contract offer, would he sign with Winnipeg?  Would he even consider it?

Come on Mike.

Ill repeat myself mostly but here goes:

Kane played with "enthusiasm" last year too.  And the year before.  You stated you believed there was a time when he wanted out, so when was this time that he was playing poorly on purpose?  In my job and probably yours, if you perform poorly long enough you get shown the door.  Doesnt always work that way in hockey.  Also, to imply that a guy busting his ass means he wants to play for Winnipeg also means a player not busting his ass wants out.  So Buff wants out?  Because he busts his ass about 60% of the time.  Or does he only want out on Tuesdays and Thursdays but wants to play for Winnipeg on Mondays and Fridays?

A kid who grew up on hockey and gets it will always play hard.  Kane is very, very competitive.  No one is doubting that.  His playing hard has zero to do with his desire for Winnipeg.  The only way his on-ice play could possibly be impacted by his desire to play here would be is there was literally a miserable, nasty, stressful, toxic environment here for him. I've never said that.  I said he'd prefer to play somewhere else, not that he hates being here.

Show me when a hockey player has ever been asked "How do you like your linemates" and he answered negatively.

Kane's unique position does not make it easy for him to force a trade "quite easily".  He didnt sign a long term contract because his dream is to play in Winnipeg.  He signed a long term contract because he had very limited options.  He was an RFA who waited until the last possible moment to sign.  He received no offer sheets.  What was he going to do?  Keep in mind, he signed on the eve of a lockout where the players had no idea what the economic landscape would look like in the future.  He made the only business decision he could...and he still waited until the last minute.

I agree that Maurice has a better relationship with Kane than Noel and the coaching change likely makes playing here a more enjoyable experience for him as opposed to last season when he was openly disrespectful to his coach.  But think about this: if Kane was a free agent tomorrow and every team made the exact same contract offer, would he sign with Winnipeg?  Would he even consider it?

Lets be honest here, if you asked all of the players on the Jets, there would probably be more that would sign elsewhere then in Winnipeg. 

There are really two deciding factors on where a player signs.  Location (and different players look for different things based on their personal life, wife, kids, etc) and a contending team.  

For the most part, Winnipeg really has neither going for it.  I think Maurice has these guys believing in something right now, and for the first time for the people in this organization, I think they see winning as a real possibility.

I certainly don't know if Kane wants to stay or go.  You can try to read his comments to the media any way you want, but there is no doubt he likes to have fun with the media, and a lot of what he does and says is either on purpose or because he just doesn't care what the media think.

Turn this team into a winning environment and I think he wants to stay.  Keep it mired in mediocrity like it has been since Atlanta, and where is the carrot to make him stay?

If you can combine that with Kane getting older and maturing, I don't think it is automatic that he wants out.

If his contract expired at the end of the this season and he was a UFA, I'd say 99% he'd be gone.  Five years from now?  Depends on where the Jets are and where Kane is in his personal life.

Keith Tkachuk couldnt wait to bolt Winnipeg (signed an offer sheet with Chicago and told Phoenix media he wished they could play there "right now" when they toured the arena during the Jets final season).  But he married a Winnipeg girl, matured and came back to town every year for a charity golf tournament.  Which is not to say he'd play here now if he was the right age but he sure seemed to grow to like the city.

On the flip side, Teemu was seething with anger when he was traded as he wanted to stay here.  I believe his kid was born here.  And he admitted to considering an offer to play here last season.

You really cant tell.  I mean, if it was just location, New York and Toronto and Vancouver would have 300 players on their teams. 

Im not anti-Kane and I dont think he's a bad guy.  I *do* happen to think he had a conversation with management.  I think he asked for a trade last season.  I think whatever has happened since, Kane and the Jets have an understanding.  And Kane respects hockey enough to play his heart out here until he's not here.  I can't see him re-signing here in five years though.  But you never know.  If the team is competitive, he's putting up good numbers and they make him the best offer available, you never know.  I've always thought its overblown a bit.  From June to September, these guys go anywhere they want.  It's usually the family that dictates more because the wife is sitting in friged Winnipeg all winter while the husband goes on the road.

If his contract expired at the end of the this season and he was a UFA, I'd say 99% he'd be gone.  Five years from now?  Depends on where the Jets are and where Kane is in his personal life.

Keith Tkachuk couldnt wait to bolt Winnipeg (signed an offer sheet with Chicago and told Phoenix media he wished they could play there "right now" when they toured the arena during the Jets final season).  But he married a Winnipeg girl, matured and came back to town every year for a charity golf tournament.  Which is not to say he'd play here now if he was the right age but he sure seemed to grow to like the city.

On the flip side, Teemu was seething with anger when he was traded as he wanted to stay here.  I believe his kid was born here.  And he admitted to considering an offer to play here last season.

You really cant tell.  I mean, if it was just location, New York and Toronto and Vancouver would have 300 players on their teams. 

Im not anti-Kane and I dont think he's a bad guy.  I *do* happen to think he had a conversation with management.  I think he asked for a trade last season.  I think whatever has happened since, Kane and the Jets have an understanding.  And Kane respects hockey enough to play his heart out here until he's not here.  I can't see him re-signing here in five years though.  But you never know.  If the team is competitive, he's putting up good numbers and they make him the best offer available, you never know.  I've always thought its overblown a bit.  From June to September, these guys go anywhere they want.  It's usually the family that dictates more because the wife is sitting in friged Winnipeg all winter while the husband goes on the road.

I think you are guessing!

In this day and age with Twitter and millions of bloggers pretending to have "inside sources" saying this that and the other thing, it is pretty easy to assume that KANE wants out, however, i agree with MIKE, his play and enthusiasm and i'm going to go ahead and add maturity this season says otherwise. I mean, the guy does give his all out there, he goes out of his way to pump up the crowd after a big fight, sticking up for team mates there too, He's been a good boy too, no money phone pics (like that matters) or anything silly like that.

All i truly know, is that Kanes fiance, ex fiance actually, they broke up this off-season, weird eh, they break-up and all of a sudden Kane seemingly has a different attitude and seems to be maturing before our very eyes right now but all i know and this is true, Kanes ex hated it here, hated it, the other Jets wives and girlfriends couldn't even stand her, she was not well liked, she actually caused a lot of problems, kane took her on a road trip once to florida, think this is well known and took a lot of heat from the guys for doing that as most figured it was a business trip, not a vacation. They are no longer together tho and now kane seems to be more mature and even having a better time.

I wonder how much of his 'wanting out' had to do with his ex fiance not liking it here. Well she's no longer in the picture..