Game systems

tacklewasher

Hope someone here can help.

I'm looking to get a new game system. Still playing the original xbox, but it's being flakey. Trouble is I only really like a few games and am stuck on what to move to.

About all I play on the xbox are KOTOR 1&2. But I play them a fair bit.

I've got an origianl Wii but don't really play it much.

Not really interested in online gaming as I don't play enough to not get my ass handed to me on a regular basis.

So wondering what is out there that is like KOTOR and what system I need to get to play it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

I asked a similar question awhile back and got no takers either.  Must not be a lot of gamers.  I was leaning towards an Xbox One.  Im not sure why.  As a kid I was always a Nintendo guy so when the big two (Playstation and Xbox) became the ones to choose from, I didnt go with either for ages.  Bought a used PS1, enjoyed it.  Had the chance to buy a used Xbox360 so thats why I switched to Microsoft.  Most friends had Xbox also so for online play that was an important consideration.  I never did play online much so it didnt really matter.

I actually went through four Xbox's (red ring of death issues) so I *should* hate them.  But Im used to the system so Im leaning towards the ONE as my next console.  It would probably be a no brainer if there was backwards compatibility.  Since there isnt, I should be wide open, but again, Im leaning towards the one Im familiar with.

A buddy had both a 360 and a PS3.  Got the PS3 as his Blu Ray player and ended up buying more games for it as he preferred it for some reason.  Made no difference to me what we played.  Never liked the Playstation controller much though. 

For me, the must have games are NHL and GTA.  I've played a few Call of Duty's also.  Thats pretty much it.  I barely have time to catch up with my PVR let alone play video games for a couple of hours a day.  So dropping $400 just to play NHL is a tough sell. 

My understanding is PS4 has greater graphics capacity but designers building games to play on both will max out the lesser one and the difference will be barely noticiable.  There also isnt much exclusive games anymore is there?  I never did get GTAV for 360 so thats pushing me towards getting a next gen system too.

Interested to hear some opinions from the gamers here though.

Used to be a huge gamer... But after getting married and now with child its very hard to play consoles... My gamer friends are all in the same boat.

The few who did get next gen consoles are starving for games. When the 360 launched after the first year there was game after game that you could play. These systems have very very little. My friends with these systems just have nothing to do with them. Both look nice and the graphics are not that different.

Most of us now play PC games because they look and run way smoother and usually they go on sale for dirt cheap after 6 months.

I haven't updated my computer in 3 years and it still runs games at max settings. I also tried the Steam streaming where you can stream games to other computers and it works flawlessly on a wired network. I have no reason to spend money just to play a few of the exclusives.

Yep, I'm with Brandon, PC gaming is where it's at. There aren't enough console-exclusive games that appeal to me, and the price of console games or the consoles themselves is just ridiculous. Being able to download your game direct to your hard drive without discs laying about everywhere is a nice bonus. Being able to mod your games with texture and content packs is a HUGE benefit to PC gaming... Steam offers crazy sales too, especially around Christmas and at the start of Summer... if you are lining up at Best Buy on boxing day to get a great 'deal' on console games because that's the only time they are reasonably affordable, you really need to check out Steam and consider PC gaming as an alternative.

With that said, some games (NHL and Madden) just have to be played on console. Sort of like TUP said, it's hard to drop the coin on a new console just to be able to play some the latest hockey game.

I used to play the NHL series on PC years ago and loved it as it was way better then the old Nintendo version.  But I have a Mac and my Mac is going on 6 years old and is slow as molasses. 

I've heard bad things about NHL15 but Id still like to get it but only after all the roster updates and bugs are fixed up.  If Santa doesnt bring me an Xbox ONE then Ill consider it after Christmas.

On a related note, WWE 2K15 was released this week and is getting horrible reviews.  They just cant make a good wrestling game.

Got a PS3, it's a good system. Don't have tons of games, mainly sports game like hockey,football,fifa even, wrestling also. GTA and COD is really fun to play on the PS3 tho.

Was thinking about a PS4 but... i don't know if i'll have the time to play it as much as i'd like too.

Also play games on the PC and do find that the PC games are generally the best and easier to find. 

I haven't played many games in several years but I was wondering, does anyone else feel like there is too much emphasis these days on the online multiplayer aspect of gaming?

I do to a degree.  When I bought my first Xbox 360 part of the decision making to get that over the PS3 was my friends all had Xbox's and we could play online.  I played NHL a handful of times but enjoyed playing my own career mode offline. 

I played Call of Duty online a couple of times but getting into a game with strangers resulted in my immediate and repeated death by gamers who were far more skilled then I was.  It just wasnt fun.  I play games for my own personal enjoyment so the online aspect doesnt overly appeal to me.

I liked playing with friends when it was two guys (or more) in the same room.  Nothing more fun then playing Goldeneye with a group of buddies.  Even this week, the gf and I fired up Super Mario Wii and played through the game for about the 5th time.  Its still fun.

I haven't played many games in several years but I was wondering, does anyone else feel like there is too much emphasis these days on the online multiplayer aspect of gaming?

Yes, definitely, and I even think the multiplayer sometimes takes away from or comes at the expense of the single player experience. GTA V single player was still a great experience, but games like Assassins Creed (can't recall exactly which one) or the latest Mass Effect it felt like more effort went into the multiplayer than the single player campaign.

That's part of what makes games like Skyrim and Fallout so great to me... the developers dedicated themselves to an incredible single player experience without having to shoe-horn in some multiplayer functionality to appease the masses.

I do to a degree.  When I bought my first Xbox 360 part of the decision making to get that over the PS3 was my friends all had Xbox's and we could play online.  I played NHL a handful of times but enjoyed playing my own career mode offline. 

I played Call of Duty online a couple of times but getting into a game with strangers resulted in my immediate and repeated death by gamers who were far more skilled then I was.  It just wasnt fun.  I play games for my own personal enjoyment so the online aspect doesnt overly appeal to me.

I liked playing with friends when it was two guys (or more) in the same room.  Nothing more fun then playing Goldeneye with a group of buddies.  Even this week, the gf and I fired up Super Mario Wii and played through the game for about the 5th time.  Its still fun.

CoD... where you die fast enough to be called a n00b or you live long enough to be called a hacker. Not a lot of in between. Not a lot of fun, either.

Speaking of GTAV, the new first person option has created more "controversy".  Heres a link to the story with video from the game:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-First-Person-Videos-Feature-Controversial-Sex-Scenes-68465.html

Evidently, with first person, you're right in the car while having sex with hookers.  The video itself isnt overly graphic other then the hooker's head bouncing up and down in your lap but the audio sure is.  These games are rated MA but how many parents give in and let their kids play it?

So much this.  Getting my ass handed to me by a 10 year old who talks more **** than Rickey Foley is not my idea of a good time.  I don't have time to put in the endless hours of gaming that I used to so I'm not at a skill level where online gaming makes much sense for me. 

When I do have time to game (if it weren't for netflix, my ps3 would be covered in inches of dust), I'm mainly playing RPG's anyway, so thankfully most of them are not geared towards the multi-player online stuff.

So much this.  Getting my ass handed to me by a 10 year old who talks more **** than Rickey Foley is not my idea of a good time.  I don't have time to put in the endless hours of gaming that I used to so I'm not at a skill level where online gaming makes much sense for me. 

When I do have time to game (if it weren't for netflix, my ps3 would be covered in inches of dust), I'm mainly playing RPG's anyway, so thankfully most of them are not geared towards the multi-player online stuff.

Do they have (and if not, why not) a system whereby beginners or lower skill users can get into a game?  I think I'd enjoy online CoD play if I played with a bunch of people nearer my skill level.

I am glad I'm not the only one. I mean sitting around playing golden eye or mario kart was always fun, and still is, but this sitting by yourself playing against or with people you don't know at all over the internet is just weird. Sometimes I just want to play a good solo game but it seems that those games are few and far between because everyone has to jump on board the multi player bandwagon. 

I am glad I'm not the only one. I mean sitting around playing golden eye or mario kart was always fun, and still is, but this sitting by yourself playing against or with people you don't know at all over the internet is just weird. Sometimes I just want to play a good solo game but it seems that those games are few and far between because everyone has to jump on board the multi player bandwagon. 

Im usually attracted to games with re-playability factor.  Like I was never into CoD but was bored one day and bought it (actually tried it at a buddys place, Modern Warfare I think, and liked it).  But Ill play it for a week, beat the story mode and then its useless to me.  NHL, I will play a lot but generally only the GM mode.  I think the farthest I made it was season 4 and usually I get bored a new version is out.  The further my team gets from "reality" the less interesting it is.  Im not into trading for Crosby.  I play the Jets and like the Jets to look like the Jets. (Before the Jets it was the Pens and the only modifcation I allowed myself was trading for Teemu).

This seems to be happening even on the iPhone/iPad games.  It's annoying as hell.  Not that I play those games anymore, but my kids borrow my devices to play them and when I get my phone back I keep getting Game Center crap saying "it's your turn next" (I turn off the pop up but it still shows in Game Center, not that I care).

Apparently Wii U is supposed to be good Tackle, but if you're looking for a game like KOTOR then probably the PS4.

That was the thing for me in buying a system. I wanted to find games that didn't need to be online and that I basically play by myself. Don't know any gamers in town to do a Halo or COD night with.

Mass Effect has me hooked now. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the first one and will play all 3 over the long, Bomberless winter nights. Picked up the xBox 360 for it.

I have no interest in online gaming, or getting my ass handed to me by a 10 yr old. I think the ME games are going to be replayable (I played KOTOR 1 & 2 dozens of times, at times just to try to get the Wookie to kill his friend). You make choices in these game to be good or evil, and the storyline is different.

Never could get into straight FPS games or even hockey/football games.

The problem with most multiplayer games is that the kids play an obscene amount of Call of Duty and Halo and learn all the nuances and cheap spots to get easy kills and as a new person it takes a long time to learn the map layout.    So unless you invest the time to learn every little detail ... usually online you will get nuked. 

I do find a much better online crowd playing more strategic shooters (back in the day Rainbow 6) as usually the n00b kids only like call of duty and halo where skills is not as important as just finding the best weapon and blasting away.  

I also find that late week day nights also helps avoid encountering the kids.  

The PC usually also has a more older crowd.

Oh man, i wish i could play Mass Effect all the way through again for the first time.

Though ME3 is a perfect example of a game that had multiplayer shoved into it.

Speaking of next-gen consoles, Just Cause 3 is the first game that really seems to justify them.

Is that a game you can pick up if you have never played the prior entries and be fine?

Reading reviews and watching video reviews of GTAV, if you never played it for the 360 or PS3, looks like a fantastic next gen title.  I love GTA and held off on buying it for the 360 for that very reason.  I can only imagine their real "first" next gen entry will be magnificent.

As someone who will buy NHL, Madden and possibly the odd shooter ... what console would I like better?

I dont have either but from the information i've read, the PS4 has higher graphic ability.  One review said that developers making a game for both systems would design it using the lower spec system but that both were virtually the same.  I looked at an extensive review of GTAV yesterday and it indicated slightly higher graphics for PS4 but said it was only noticeable side by side.

It really seems to come down to:

- Personal preference.  Are you a Microsoft guy or a Sony guy?

- What do your buddies have.  If you're going to play online, all need the same system.

- Console exclusives.  Any titles that are must-have for you but only available on a specific system.

Price seemed to be a big factor early on with people gravitating towards Sony.  Microsoft lowered the Xbox price and have begun gaining on Sony in sales.  Another issue is the Kinect which is really, really cool and likely the future of home entertainment.  But as my gf calls it, Skynet is always watching.  There was a news story today warning people that a website has appeared that features videos gleaned from webcams and baby monitors.  I applaud Microsoft for being forward thinking but it seems the public wasnt quite ready to embrace an always-on Big Brother-type Skynet device.