Great article about Buck Pierce

B-F-F-C

Great find, BFFC, thanks for this. Some loved Buck, some hated him, but I haven't seen a QB truly care and give a damn about the game and his team as much as him when compared to other QB's throughout his career. I recall some saying he was a cancer and selfish last year. Said many times that those saying that didn't have a clue, and that article shows how out to lunch those making those comments really were.

Hey no one questioned at all Buck has a person and a real likeable guy... but similar to Khari his playing days were beyond done and it hurt our club having him delay the inevitable of finding the next starter and growing the guys we did have.   

Similar to Khari also... just because a guy is loyal and a great person... does not mean he will succeed as a coach.     

I would hope this club hire based on professional rather then personal decisions.  

Hey no one questioned at all Buck has a person and a real likeable guy... but similar to Khari his playing days were beyond done and it hurt our club having him delay the inevitable of finding the next starter and growing the guys we did have.   

Similar to Khari also... just because a guy is loyal and a great person... does not mean he will succeed as a coach.     

I would hope this club hire based on professional rather then personal decisions.  

Tell me that was done with our present coaching & management staff. 

Hey no one questioned at all Buck has a person and a real likeable guy

I recall the contrary. You don't have to be a fan on him on the field, that's fine and dandy, to each their own - But for some to say he was selfish and a cancer to the team last year, which some absolutely said, couldn't be further from the truth.

Here we go again.  I don't know why everyone thinks Buck is some kind of natural coach.  I'm sure he's a nice guy and invests in the community, but none of us has really seen how he's done as a coach.  You all say look what he did with Cotton...BS, I think Cotton was already that good.  What I want to say is, wtf did he do with Grigsby with all the time he had with him?  All I saw with Grigsby was him going down hill as far as his RB duties.  But again, was that all on Grigsby, or crappy coaching?  That's up to the HC to decide.  If he's a good coach, then fine, keep him around, if he's not, I don't care how many people love him, give him the boot.

Sorry, I don't have a man-crush on Buck like a lot of you do.  I couldn't stand him as a Bomber, not that we had any other option with the crappy GMing we had at the time and not having a proper QBC.  I have a man-crush on Khari, so I know how most of you feel, but I don't want him here if he's not ready to be an OC.

Some of you need to take off your rose colored glasses.

Here we go again. I don't know why everyone thinks Buck is some kind of natural coach. I'm sure he's a nice guy and invests in the community, but none of us has really seen how he's done as a coach. You all say look what he did with Cotton...BS, I think Cotton was already that good. What I want to say is, wtf did he do with Grigsby with all the time he had with him? All I saw with Grigsby was him going down hill as far as his RB duties. But again, was that all on Grigsby, or crappy coaching? That's up to the HC to decide. If he's a good coach, then fine, keep him around, if he's not, I don't care how many people love him, give him the boot.

Sorry, I don't have a man-crush on Buck like a lot of you do. I couldn't stand him as a Bomber, not that we had any other option with the crappy GMing we had at the time and not having a proper QBC. I have a man-crush on Khari, so I know how most of you feel, but I don't want him here if he's not ready to be an OC.

How is buck supposed to teach a guy to not trip on defenders finger tips or pick the right gap at full speed? Trick question, he can't. Both of those key failures are on the RB.. He either has the power to run thru pinky fingers or he has the vision to see the holes made by oline..

Here we go again. I don't know why everyone thinks Buck is some kind of natural coach. I'm sure he's a nice guy and invests in the community, but none of us has really seen how he's done as a coach. You all say look what he did with Cotton...BS, I think Cotton was already that good. What I want to say is, wtf did he do with Grigsby with all the time he had with him? All I saw with Grigsby was him going down hill as far as his RB duties. But again, was that all on Grigsby, or crappy coaching? That's up to the HC to decide. If he's a good coach, then fine, keep him around, if he's not, I don't care how many people love him, give him the boot.

Sorry, I don't have a man-crush on Buck like a lot of you do. I couldn't stand him as a Bomber, not that we had any other option with the crappy GMing we had at the time and not having a proper QBC. I have a man-crush on Khari, so I know how most of you feel, but I don't want him here if he's not ready to be an OC.

How is buck supposed to teach a guy to not trip on defenders finger tips or pick the right gap at full speed? Trick question, he can't. Both of those key failures are on the RB.. He either has the power to run thru pinky fingers or he has the vision to see the holes made by oline..

Because he's the COACH...that's his job...to teach him to stop the bad habits and how to do better job at playing their position.  What the heck do you think the coach does "oh just go out there and do what you do...".  No, they teach them how to stop doing the stupid things and how to be better at what they do.

Because he's the COACH...that's his job...to teach him to stop the bad habits and how to do better job at playing their position.  What the heck do you think the coach does "oh just go out there and do what you do...".  No, they teach them how to stop doing the stupid things and how to be better at what they do.

To be fair Grigsby did get a bit better at dropping some of the bad habits from his game... but there's only so much you can do with a player who is unwilling to play like a man and would rather quit. None of us can judge Pierce, his position just isn't one that lends itself to the general fanbase having any idea about. Grigsby I just think was what he was and no coach was going to make him a better running back. 

Not sure if serious ... what do you think a running back coach does if he doesn't go over game film with them and point out snaps where the runner missed going through the right gap, etc?

There are literally dozens of things Buck could do with a guy to teach him to not get tripped up by a defender. Evaluate his running style ... everything from his hip stance to his pad level or body lean to make sure he's driving at defenders with force to break through a tackle as opposed to just running at them. Get him to work on keeping his eyes up to spot those arm tackle defenders.

A lot of what they'll teach running backs at lower levels in the fundamental stages is the basic principle of see it - prepare for it. Locate the first potential tackler, prepare for him. That's where Grigsby sucked. The fundamental stuff. Pierce could have worked with him to improve that in so many ways - and I'm not suggesting he didn't - I'm just suggesting that you're incorrect when you say you can't teach that stuff. A lot of it is instinct, but a lot of it isn't.

To Pierce's credit ... I thought he did a lot to improve Grigsby's game. Pass pro and commitment to a north-south style with no hesitation especially. Grigsby's issue was he just wasn't born to be a running back.

To be fair Grigsby did get a bit better at dropping some of the bad habits from his game... but there's only so much you can do with a player who is unwilling to play like a man and would rather quit. None of us can judge Pierce, his position just isn't one that lends itself to the general fanbase having any idea about. Grigsby I just think was what he was and no coach was going to make him a better running back. 

Right, which is why I said above, was it Buck or was it Grigsby that was the problem?  Even I lean more towards Grigsby being the issue, but still.  

I think people are just thinking Buck is this magical creature that's going to fix all the problems of this team and want to promote him way too fast.  He still has a lot to learn and a long way to go before even becoming an OC.  And as much as I hated him as a player, if he can become a good coach, then by all means, keep him on.  I just hate this fixation on him that he's some kind of savior and super totally awesome coach to be, when no one here really knows what he can or can't do.

Right, which is why I said above, was it Buck or was it Grigsby that was the problem?  Even I lean more towards Grigsby being the issue, but still.  

I think people are just thinking Buck is this magical creature that's going to fix all the problems of this team and want to promote him way too fast.  He still has a lot to learn and a long way to go before even becoming an OC.  And as much as I hated him as a player, if he can become a good coach, then by all means, keep him on.  I just hate this fixation on him that he's some kind of savior and super totally awesome coach to be, when no one here really knows what he can or can't do.

I haven't seen anyone list him as a savior.

He is just a popular guy in the city for the way he played the game (like his play or not he sacrificed his body and put it all on the line in each game he played) and the way he has embraced the city.

I think it is more of people wanting to see him do well because of that.  It would be a feel good story ... unless of course you don't like Buck Pierce.

I think Buck is a class act. Great guy. I was fortunate enough to attend his wedding social last year and what really stood out to me was how Buck, at the end of the night, went out of his way to thank each and every guest for coming on their way out. And I don't mean shout "hey thanks a lot!" at groups of people as they walked by. He was stopping every single person possible to shake their hand and thank them for their support.

Always wanted him to do well here. Do I think his competitive nature overruled the part of him that should've told him it was time to give it up? Yes. At the time, did I fault him for it a bit and call him selfish? Yes. Looking back now, I don't think I'd make those same comments again.  I think it was more frustration with the situation that there wasn't a better option.

I hope Buck goes on to have a great coaching career and I hope he does it with us.

The article was about Buck Pierce the "man" not the football player.  It demonstrates his big heart and compassion for others.  Regardless of what he did on the field, you can't help but admire the man he is and how he treats others.  

On the reverse we hold high so many professional athletes that had hall of fame careers but off the field they were real a$$holes.  Slagging Buck because his football career didn't meet your expectations.  Just shows the kind of person you are.  

Nice guy doesn't automatically = head coach material.

And a guy struggling to succeed on the field doesn't automatically = big jerk, needs to be constantly slandered and insulted.

Slagging Buck because his football career didn't meet your expectations.  Just shows the kind of person you are.  

Amen.

The article was about Buck Pierce the "man" not the football player.  It demonstrates his big heart and compassion for others.  Regardless of what he did on the field, you can't help but admire the man he is and how he treats others.  

On the reverse we hold high so many professional athletes that had hall of fame careers but off the field they were real a$$holes.  Slagging Buck because his football career didn't meet your expectations.  Just shows the kind of person you are.  

Yes, because slagging one person shows exactly what kind of person any of us is.  And if you were talking about me, I didn't slag him, I said I couldn't stand him as a Bomber.  I never said he was crap.  Just like myself and others wouldn't like Hank or Tate as a Bomber.

He is just a popular guy in the city for the way he played the game (like his play or not he sacrificed his body and put it all on the line in each game he played) and the way he has embraced the city.

I think it is more of people wanting to see him do well because of that.  It would be a feel good story ... unless of course you don't like Buck Pierce.

I wasn't talking about just this thread.  I've seen other threads where they thought Buck should be our OC right now.  To me that sounds like some people think he's a savior.

I wasn't talking about just this thread.  I've seen other threads where they thought Buck should be our OC right now.  To me that sounds like some people think he's a savior.

I guess we just have different definitions of savior then.   

I agree, I don't think Buck is ready to be an OC yet.  Would like to see him get some more coaching experience and be more involved in the ups and downs during a season as a coach and what different coaches do to address and deal with those things.   Would also like to see him get more experience under someone other then Marcel.