Grey Cup 1958 Bomber Photos....

JamesCalhoun

Hey all,

I post with some regularity on Lionbackers, and live just outside Vancovuer.  I'm hoping you lot can help ID some players in photos from the 1958 Grey Cup.

The Vancovuer Public Library has a massive photo collection as part of their special collections/archives, and I was in there doing some research and got to chatting with the librarian.  Every once in a while they'll digitize some of their photos and put them online.  She was showing me this, and there was an album on Flickr titled, "Football in Vancouver".  There are a handful of photos from the 1958 Grey Cup included in the folder:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@ ... 085348547/

I started naming players as the librarian was scrolling through the photos, and she told me that if I were able to ID any of them, to send her an e-mail with the info.  I've ID'd most of the players in most of the photos, but am stuck with some of the Bomber players, and was hoping you guys can help me out.  My goal is simply to pass on the information to the VPL in the hopes that they'll scan some more football photos.  Given how many Grey Cups they've played here, there could be quite a treasure trove.

So, first photo (I'm going to post links to them so you can check them out in hi-def):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15707505660/in/set-72157649085348547

Number 77 on the left is Ernie Pitts; can you id the rest of the players in this line?  This is in the locker room after GC '58.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15272542224/in/set-72157649085348547

This is the Bombers' D on the field in the '58 GC.  Can anyone provide the name of number 97 & 94? (I have the rest).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15275171473/in/set-72157649085348547

Other than Pitts, can you id any of these players?  Is that Bud Grant in the top right of the photo wearing the 'W' hat?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15275165013/in/set-72157649085348547

Last one: again, other than Pitts, can you pick out anyone in this photo?

Thanks for your help, &

Cheers,

James

First photo l to r

Ernie Pitts, Kenny ploen, Cornell piper, Leo Lewis, frank Rinney, john Vernon

In the last photo, Pitts pouring champaign on Lewis, the one with 7 showing on his jersey might be Frank

Gilliam (A reciever who went on yo be a respected politician in the Midwest), on the left opposite Lewis is Ed Kotowich, behind him Roger Savoie, behind Pitts, face obscured by his Elbow is #64 buddy Tinsley, behind right behind Pitts is, I think Kieth Pierce, at the far centre back is Frank Rigney. Behind Savoie might be Ron Latorelle Shortest guy oh the team 5'8? In front of him might be herb Gray. #73? Might be Cec Luning

The November 26, 1958 Free Press had an article called "Know Your Bombers" that listed the players and gave a brief profile for each. Here is a list of the players with their numbers from that article:

43 - George Stanley Druxman

44 - Jimmy Garland Warren

47 - Walter Bilicki

52 - Dave Burkholder

53 - Herb Gray

54 - Ted Mikliechuk

56 - Joseph Edward Kolowich

58 - Cornell Piper

62 - Roger Rene Savoie

63 - Steve Patrick

64 - Robert Porter Tinsley (Buddy)

65 - Donald Robert Hobert (Bob)

67 - Frank Joseph Rigney

70 - Norman Carl Rauhaus

71 - Gerald Glen Vincent

73 - Cecil Luining

74 - Frank Gilliam

77 - Ernie Pitts

78 - Ron Meadmore

79 - Keith Pearce

80 - Rick Potter

84 - James Leonard Tonn

85 - John Varone

86 - James Sutton Van Pelt

87 - Ron Latourelle

88 - Barry Wayne Roseborough

89 - Ken Ploen

90 - William Kehrer (Tony)

91 - Charles Lafayette Shepard

94 - Nick Miller

95 - Eugene Wlasiuk

97 - Gordon Rowland

99 - Leo Everett Lewis

Hey all,

I post with some regularity on Lionbackers, and live just outside Vancovuer.  I'm hoping you lot can help ID some players in photos from the 1958 Grey Cup.

The Vancovuer Public Library has a massive photo collection as part of their special collections/archives, and I was in there doing some research and got to chatting with the librarian.  Every once in a while they'll digitize some of their photos and put them online.  She was showing me this, and there was an album on Flickr titled, "Football in Vancouver".  There are a handful of photos from the 1958 Grey Cup included in the folder:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@ ... 085348547/

I started naming players as the librarian was scrolling through the photos, and she told me that if I were able to ID any of them, to send her an e-mail with the info.  I've ID'd most of the players in most of the photos, but am stuck with some of the Bomber players, and was hoping you guys can help me out.  My goal is simply to pass on the information to the VPL in the hopes that they'll scan some more football photos.  Given how many Grey Cups they've played here, there could be quite a treasure trove.

So, first photo (I'm going to post links to them so you can check them out in hi-def):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15707505660/in/set-72157649085348547

Number 77 on the left is Ernie Pitts; can you id the rest of the players in this line?  This is in the locker room after GC '58.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15272542224/in/set-72157649085348547

This is the Bombers' D on the field in the '58 GC.  Can anyone provide the name of number 97 & 94? (I have the rest).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15275171473/in/set-72157649085348547

Other than Pitts, can you id any of these players?  Is that Bud Grant in the top right of the photo wearing the 'W' hat?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99915476@N04/15275165013/in/set-72157649085348547

Last one: again, other than Pitts, can you pick out anyone in this photo?

Thanks for your help, &

Cheers,

James

In the first pic you have:  Ernie Pitts, Ken Ploen, Cornell Piper, Leo Lewis, Frank Rigney, and John Varone

Second pic:  94-Nick Miller  97-Gordie Rowland

Third pic:  The little guy on the left (in front of the photographer) is #90 Tony Kehrer.  In front of him (touching the cup with his right hand) is Steve Patrick.  To his left is Herb Gray, then Frank Rigney, then Pitts.  Behind Pitts is Leo Lewis.  To Lewis' left is Ron Latourelle (touching the cup with his left hand)  Behind Latourelle is Cornell Piper (white guy) and Frank Gilliam (black guy)  The fellow with the W on his baseball cap is Jim Ausley (team manager)  #78 is Ron Meadmore.

Fourth pic:  Pitts is pouring champagne on Leo Lewis.  In front of Lewis is #62 Roger Savoie (touching the cup) and #56 Ed Kotowich.  Behind Savoie is Ron (Pepe) Latourelle. Behind Kotowich is the top of  Tony Kehrer's head. The big guy with the #6 showing on his jersey is Frank Rigney.  Getting elbowed in the face by Pitts is Buddy Tinsley.  #73 is Cec (the Selkirk milkman) Luining.  The black guy to Lewis' left is Frank Gilliam.  Unsure of the guy behind Lewis.

Hope that helps.

Cec Luining was my cousin. He lived in Selkirk & was employed as a milkman there. (This was the 1950's). He was a linebacker. Jack Wells nicknamed him "The Mad Milkman From Selkirk".

That brings back a memory from my youth.  My grandparents owned a general store in Selkirk  and my grandfather told me about this guy who lived in Selkirk and played for the bombers. I didn't know he was a milkman but my grandfather seemed to know him quite well.

Thanks for that.

Cec Luining was my cousin. He lived in Selkirk & was employed as a milkman there. (This was the 1950's). He was a linebacker. Jack Wells nicknamed him "The Mad Milkman From Selkirk".

That brings back a memory from my youth.  My grandparents owned a general store in Selkirk  and my grandfather told me about this guy who lived in Selkirk and played for the bombers. I didn't know he was a milkman but my grandfather seemed to know him quite well.

Thanks for that.

Hard to believe that milk was actually delivered to your door as was bread. I remember the bread & milk trucks making the rounds in our neighbourhood as a little kid. Same with oil. Before natural gas, the furnaces used oil & the tanker truck would come around every few months, hook the hose up to the outlet on the wall outside & pump away. I seem to remember some houses had coal but I could be wrong. The other thing I remember about the wonderful 1960's. We could buy firecrackers. I had a friend who loved to show off. He'd light one up, put it into his fist & squeeze tightly. It would explode in his hand but he wouldn't get hurt because he squeezed so hard that it muffled the explosion & therefore didn't injure or burned his hand. I knew of kids who lost fingers or suffered severe burns when a firecracker went off & they were holding it. The kid was crazy.

Hard to believe that milk was actually delivered to your door as was bread. I remember the bread & milk trucks making the rounds in our neighbourhood as a little kid.

Although born and raised in Winnipeg, I spent a large chunk of my adult life in the UK. And there it wasn't just bread and milk that you could get delivered to your door:

Wow, my dad loved his beer. If we had this back in the day he'd have never left our house. My dream, instead of a beer company making home deliv ery, a distillery did instead. Rum, rye or vodka I wouldn't care. ;)

One of the liquor stores in Cranston has a sign in the window saying they make deliveries. I've never had to test it out but it's nice to know the option is there. 

Thanks for that.

Hard to believe that milk was actually delivered to your door as was bread. I remember the bread & milk trucks making the rounds in our neighbourhood as a little kid. Same with oil. Before natural gas, the furnaces used oil & the tanker truck would come around every few months, hook the hose up to the outlet on the wall outside & pump away. I seem to remember some houses had coal but I could be wrong. The other thing I remember about the wonderful 1960's. We could buy firecrackers. I had a friend who loved to show off. He'd light one up, put it into his fist & squeeze tightly. It would explode in his hand but he wouldn't get hurt because he squeezed so hard that it muffled the explosion & therefore didn't injure or burned his hand. I knew of kids who lost fingers or suffered severe burns when a firecracker went off & they were holding it. The kid was crazy.

Remember bumper shining?

I remember getting milk delivered to the little milk door houses had beside the back door. Bread as far back as i can remember we went to grandma n grandpas house every Sunday for diner and we always left with 4 loafs of bread. 

Wow, my dad loved his beer. If we had this back in the day he'd have never left our house. My dream, instead of a beer company making home deliv ery, a distillery did instead. Rum, rye or vodka I wouldn't care. ;)

One of the liquor stores in Cranston has a sign in the window saying they make deliveries. I've never had to test it out but it's nice to know the option is there. 

But that was an actual beer company delivering the goods. I'm talking the distillery doing the delivery... Nice daydream. ;)

Here's another gem from the 60's & how naive society was back then. This affected me personally although so far no long term physical effects. The CIty back then used to fog for mosquitos just like today but I'm sure what they used was different than the Malathion of today. When the fogging truck used to do the neighbourhood we kids on our bikes would follow the fogging truck & play in the "fog". It was cool we thought. We did that for hours exposing ourselves to nasty chemicals not knowing how harmful they were. Our parents didn't know, we didn't know... No one knew. We used to look forward to the fogging trucks because we thought it was fun to disappear in that fog. That was 50 years ago so I'm thinking I was lucky I had no long term respiratory effects. But to think kids in neighbourhoods all over Winnipeg played in that killer fog on numerous occasions over the years & no one said anything, well...