Power 97 Flips Formats

Noeller

...As of 8am tomorrow, Power 97, one of the most legendary Rock stations in Western Canada, and quite possibly the best Rock station in Western Canada for a period of time (BJ/Hal, Wheeler/Hal), will be flipping to 97.5 BIG FM, a Country-format station, to try and take on ratings powerhouse QX104FM.

...As a nerd who follows this kind of thing, I don't see Winnipeg as a big enough "Country" market for 2 stations. It's been tried in the past. 103 was Country at one point, and then the terrible attempt with Hank FM that failed in virtually every market. Nobody's been able to take on QX. If anyone can do it, it's Corus Ent, who have a great track record in the Country format, in Calgary, Edmonton and some Ontario sticks...along with owning CMT, which is a big part of it, but I just don't see Winnipeg being the right sized market. 

Sad to see what was once an incredible Rock station go this way, but such is the radio world in an over-saturated market with too many radio licenses handed out, and too few advertising dollars to grab. Keep throwing **** against a wall until something sticks.

The image on power97 is new name on some denim jeans.. Sooo, hard to say.. I see country unfortunately.. 92 is too oldie and 97 was tolerable with a mix of new old...

Sucks but would be hilarious if 97 switched to classic and 92 went back to newer stuff..

The Free Press has confirmed 97 is going with a classic rock format.

Just threw it on the computer to listen for a few minutes at work and heard a couple of good tunes back to back.  Seems its going to be an eclectic mix of classic rock and top 40-ish "rock".  I wonder if it will cyphon some people away from their own BOB station (maybe a little bit of cross-over).  I was intrigued by the potential for a country battle with QX.  I like country but moreso for the "hits".

But like many here, I'm a TSN 1290 listener in the car and when they have something crappy on like Jim Rome, I flip to CJOB.  Not often I listen to music and when I do I flip around constantly for a song I like.

I wonder who will be working the Bomber games now?  The last 4 people I can remember (Wheeler, Philly, TJ Connors & Vicki Shae) all worked at Power97 but none of them are there anymore.  Vicki is the only one who still works for Corus (she's moving to 99.1 Fresh FM).

The Free Press has confirmed 97 is going with a classic rock format.

Just threw it on the computer to listen for a few minutes at work and heard a couple of good tunes back to back.  Seems its going to be an eclectic mix of classic rock and top 40-ish "rock".  I wonder if it will cyphon some people away from their own BOB station (maybe a little bit of cross-over).  I was intrigued by the potential for a country battle with QX.  I like country but moreso for the "hits".

But like many here, I'm a TSN 1290 listener in the car and when they have something crappy on like Jim Rome, I flip to CJOB.  Not often I listen to music and when I do I flip around constantly for a song I like.

I'm pretty much the same.  I don't listen to music much on the radio so the format they choose doesn't matter much, I'll flip until I find something I like or plug my phone into the the aux cord & play my own music.

Pfff, you're all losers.  Only old people like me listen to 99.9 Bob FM.

Fixed your post.

But seriously how can so many people listen to sports radio so much? I just don't get it. Listening to a bunch of self important media people pretending to be smarter than they are... At least on message boards when people start pretending to be smart I can argue with them. 

Just put on "Big 97.5" and they are playing Under My Thumb by Rolling Stones.  Just happens to be one of my favourites so they win this round.

This also marks the return of Jay Richardson to Winnipeg radio as he is doing the morning show along with Jolene Lebsack.

Worked out good for Jay.  Good for him.  He took his dismissal the right way and was a professional and got a second kick at it.  Thats the right way to handle things.

I also listen to BOB more than any other station when Im listening to music in the car because they generally play more tunes Im familiar with.  But definitely Im a channel surfer.

Most of the local 1290 stuff is good and easy to listen to.  i draw the line at Jim Rome.

I have 1290 (sports radio) on most of the time when in the car, but I will only listen to the local content.  The morning show on the drive in to work, Hustler & Lawless on the drive home.  Some of their Saturday content isn’t bad either, either a recap of the week’s programming (hear stuff you missed) or the Illegal Curve guys who bring an interesting perspective to their shows.

Yes, they are self-important media types, and can get caught up in some pretty silly things at times, but the content is primarily targeted to the Jets and Bombers.  And that makes it interesting for me.  I find their guests to usually be more informative then the hosts.  Being part of TSN gives them access to a lot of the high profile analysts.  Lawless is also fairly well-connected and can get some big names onto his show. I also like Shane Hnidy, being a former player, he always brings an interesting perspective to what is going on.

For the Bombers, other than Bob Irving doing the play-by-play, I find TSN 1290’s pre and post-game shows better than CJOB (WAY too many commercials on CJOB, but it has been that way for years).    As soon as the coach’s interview is done on CJOB, I switch back to TSN.  Walby, Westwood, and Bauming (I believe), do a pretty good job.

I have no patience for the syndicated shows like Jim Rome, or anything out of Toronto.  

As far as syndicated shows go, Gino Reda actually runs a good show where he talks about junior hockey prospects.  He will have interviews with guys like Morrissey and Petan, and he'll have Craig Button on talking about prospects.  I think they run it at noon on Sundays when there is no football.