The Star Trek Thread!

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

With a Constitution like ship going back 75 years in the past that should have changed the future more so.

I agree. I subscribe to the traditional time travel in Star Trek where changes to the past change the present, not the JJ Abrams "every choice creates a new universe".  So the question is, if the Defiant went back in time 100 years, why was the Mirror Universe technology equal to Prime Universe when Kirk and Co. crossed over in "Mirror Mirror"?

The simple answer is, it hadnt happened yet.  Mirror Mirror was episode 39.  The Tholian Web (when Defiant went back in time and crossed over) was episode 64.  So when Kirk crossed over, the past hadnt been altered yet.

A more complicated answer is that it still should be different because we saw Enterprise-era Mirror Universe from their perspective.  If Empress Sato kept the Defiant all to herself and did not allow any reverse engineering or research to be done on it, then the advanced tech would not have spread.  As soon as she allows others to control comparable tech, she gives up her advantage.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree. I subscribe to the traditional time travel in Star Trek where changes to the past change the present, not the JJ Abrams "every choice creates a new universe".  So the question is, if the Defiant went back in time 100 years, why was the Mirror Universe technology equal to Prime Universe when Kirk and Co. crossed over in "Mirror Mirror"?

The simple answer is, it hadnt happened yet.  Mirror Mirror was episode 39.  The Tholian Web (when Defiant went back in time and crossed over) was episode 64.  So when Kirk crossed over, the past hadnt been altered yet.

A more complicated answer is that it still should be different because we saw Enterprise-era Mirror Universe from their perspective.  If Empress Sato kept the Defiant all to herself and did not allow any reverse engineering or research to be done on it, then the advanced tech would not have spread.  As soon as she allows others to control comparable tech, she gives up her advantage.

Sato could still be alive :)

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

Good call on him being the Klingon and them going to the Mirror Universe.  I think you're dead on about him being from there.

Also, did not seeing one of the main characters like the doctor getting killed.

Lol I said the same thing to the girlfriend and her reply "he was kind of a hanger-on B character..."

55 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yep. Quite the surprise at the end.

Meanwhile the other Discovery is roaming a friendly universe?

I made a joke that the good guys will be so desperate to get back and when they finally do, maybe they see that the Mirror Discovery won the war for the Federation! lol

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:38 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I made a joke that the good guys will be so desperate to get back and when they finally do, maybe they see that the Mirror Discovery won the war for the Federation! lol

Plot Swerve. The Captain Lorca on Discovery is the parallel universe Captain Lorca who is using the crew & Burnham to kill the Emperor & become Emperor of the Terran Empre himself. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Plot Swerve. The Captain Lorca on Discovery is the parallel universe Captain Lorca who is using the crew & Burnham to kill the Emperor & become Emperor of the Terran Empre himself. 

Im surprised they did it because it opens up some issues.  Such as, who's Captain next season?

But it was ballsy.  And really interesting.  The cool twist is that its not a bad guy or at least we dont know.  Is he a bad guy trying to over-throw the Emperor to become emperor himself?  is he a rebel who wants reform?

They also have to wrap all this up pretty neatly because by the time of Kirk, there is no knowledge of the Mirror Universe and we know the Emperor of that time is a bad guy (because Spock ends up over-throwing him).

12 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Would have hated to have this spoiled if I didn't see the episode before reading the above...

It's the DISCO thread, if you come into the forum on a Sunday night be prepared.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im surprised they did it because it opens up some issues.  Such as, who's Captain next season?

But it was ballsy.  And really interesting.  The cool twist is that its not a bad guy or at least we dont know.  Is he a bad guy trying to over-throw the Emperor to become emperor himself?  is he a rebel who wants reform?

They also have to wrap all this up pretty neatly because by the time of Kirk, there is no knowledge of the Mirror Universe and we know the Emperor of that time is a bad guy (because Spock ends up over-throwing him).

Hate to miss Lorca as I like Isaacs. Peeps dying left n right on this show. Now im not sure if Tyler is Tyler or Tyler is fake Tyler but no Voq.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It's the DISCO thread, if you come into the forum on a Sunday night be prepared.

Hate to miss Lorca as I like Isaacs. Peeps dying left n right on this show. Now im not sure if Tyler is Tyler or Tyler is fake Tyler but no Voq.

Why can't the parallel universe Lorca die replaced with the one from our universe?

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why can't the parallel universe Lorca die replaced with the one from our universe?

They certainly can do that.  Its an unanswered questions, where is Prime Lorca.  One theory I have is that the crew being held captive (they killed one of them in front of Lorca) is PRIME Buron crew.  And the two ships traded places.  I seem to be in the minority with that opinion though lol

But for me, the issue is still similar.  If they keep Isaacs as Prime Lorca next season, we still get the wonderful actor.  But we dont get the really interesting character.  He would be different.  One other possibility is that Michael keeps his secret and we get Mirror Lorca forever.  But the preview for next week shows Saru addressing the crew saying its no longer Lorca's ship...so I assume she spills the beans to everyone and Lorca is considered a bad guy.

It would be more nuanced if he was a rebel and thus a "good guy" in the Mirror Universe.  We'll find out soon enough. 

I thought this was interesting.  The screenwriter of the episode was answering questions and responded to one about the Emperor's name.  This is from Trekmovie.com

“All Hail her most Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Kronos, Regina Andor, All Hail Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius.” But what’s it mean??!?

When we began digging into the Terrans last year, I had just read a newer history of Rome and was excited to use it as inspiration. (SPQR by Mary Beard, check it out.) Here’s some of the titles Roman Emperors used: [LINK]

So into her titles: – Father of the Fatherland is easy, we turned that into Mother of the Fatherland (even tho we de-gendered Emperor, it felt right) – Overlord of Vulcan: an early conquest of the Terrans, they see themselves as their protectors. It’s paternalistic / delusional.

– Dominus of Kronos: Terrans are very proud of conquering Qo’noS. Dominus is a harsher title the Emperor at the time took as a result (and Georgiou kept for herself). “We OWN them.” Qo’noS mispronounced out of cultural chauvinism.

– Regina Andor: Andoria is a jewel in the Terran crowd. Subjugated warrior race. Early Terran conquest, pre-Sato. The title was created to celebrate this achievement. Now as for Georgiou’s many names…

“Philippa Georgiou Augustus Iaponius Centarius” Philipa Georgiou: her given name and her family name, just like Prime. Augustus: the Terrans see themselves as inheritors of the Roman Empire so their Emperors take the title of its first Emperor.

Iaponius is Latin for Japanese. This (in my fever dream) is a title Hoshi Sato adopted when she named herself Empress, to honor her homeland. “So is Georgiou descended from Hoshi!?” Well…

Hoshi was Empress. 100 years later, Georgiou is Emperor. Georgiou took one of Hoshi’s titles as her own to connect them. So Hoshi’s legacy as Empress must be good and Georgiou must either be connected to her in a chain of succession or might want to create that connection…..

But they have different ethnic backgrounds. Hoshi is Japanese, Philipa is Chinese-Malaysian. So I don’t think it’s likely Philipa is a direct descendant like a great-grandchild. Cousins is possible. More likely tho…

…whoever inherited Hoshi’s throne was someone she adopted as a child & heir, the way most Roman emperors did. And that Emperor adopted his/her heir, and so on, until we get to Georgiou. And she is proud of the connection and flaunts it with the title Iaponius. But…

…it’s not canon until it’s on screen so that’s just one writer’s opinion. As for Centaurius, I figured it was the first system colonized by the Terrans since it’s closest to Sol so it was a title the Emperor at the time took in tribute. Hope someone found this informative!

22 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

me thinks that Tyler is dead and gone.. Voq is a humanized Klingon and his mind has been intermingled with Tyler's "mind" out of his brain by some crazy wizardry.

24 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

me thinks that Tyler is dead and gone.. Voq is a humanized Klingon and his mind has been intermingled with Tyler's "mind" out of his brain by some crazy wizardry.

The explanation of Tyler by L’Rell was thus...

"We harvested his DNA, reconstructed his consciousness and rebuilt his memory. We modified Voq into a shell that appears human. We grafted his psyche into Tyler's. And in so doing, Voq has given his body and soul for our ideology. "

Total confusion. When does Orville start up again?

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The explanation of Tyler by L’Rell was thus...

"We harvested his DNA, reconstructed his consciousness and rebuilt his memory. We modified Voq into a shell that appears human. We grafted his psyche into Tyler's. And in so doing, Voq has given his body and soul for our ideology. "

Total confusion. When does Orville start up again?

Please no Orville! Lol

Getting back to ST:Discovery. I think they find a way to keep Issacs & make him interesting as well. here's a thought... Was Lord Garth from a parallel universe? He went from being an honoured & decorated starship Captain to a crazed, sadistic killer seemingly very quickly. He would fit into the other universe. Was he an invader?