The Star Trek Thread!

29 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Think you mean season 3 of ENT with the one story arc.

No, season 3 sucked.  Season 4 was when Manny Coto took over as show runner and began writing Enterprise as a true prequel to TOS with the shorter 2-3 episode story arcs (Eugenics, Vulcans, Xenophobia, Mirror Universe etc).  Season 3 was the one long arc ending with the alien Nazi's but it still sucked.

What's with Space? All in on Star Trek showing all 4 previous series although the best one DS9 was in the middle of the night so only a few could watch it. Enterprise (which I always liked, sorry) came on at 4 am... Star Trek TOS, Star Trek TNG 7 Voyagerin the afternoons followed by Voyager again in the late evening. Voyager was never may favourite, actually my least favourite of all 4 as I had issues with Janeway who really should have been opposed & replaced by Chakotay after the first season. For someone who constantly preached the Prime Directive to her crew she constantly cherry picked & never used the PD if it interfered in her agenda.

Now Space has removed all 4 series & replaced them with Face Off & Castle? Like WTH? How can they be all in & then all out in a week? Methinks Space expected the new series to roll out this past January & wee using these episodes to build up interest & now it's fizzled out. So they removed all 4 from programming. It's my theory & it belongs to me.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Now that The Walking Dead season is over (I haven't watched it yet though), CBS has officially announced Sonequa Martin_Green has joined Discovery as First Officer Michael Burnham (odd name choice).

Double duty I guess. STD is only 10-13 eps so she can fit it in.

Odd but Michael Learned was an odd name too and she turned out fine as Mrs. Walton.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 1 month later...

^^^I thought it sounded stupid but the trailer has some decent moments (and stupid ones).  Seth is an unabashed Trek fan though.  How long until Shatner guests on this?  Probably sooner then him guesting in Star Trek.

But how come the effects and designs look better in this than in Discovery?

Hopefully we get a Discovery trailer soon (rumors of something coming Wednesday actually) with updated everything...

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

have to say, this gives me hope.  On location filming. Large flip communicator. Large TOS style tricorder. Great costuming. And Sonequa looks great. 

Expect more info dumps today. 

Yeah, very reminiscent of the old Trek series.  Those costumes almost look like the stuff Khan's crew wore on Ceti Alpha V.

I'm not really feeling it.  I agree with most people, it still feels more Star Wars and not enough Star Trek.  I hate the look of the Klingons.  It looks like they turned them into some generic race rather then the rich history and honor their race had, and all the quirks and what not that came with them.

The effects are great, but it's looking like a very generic space show to me.  Should have just continued on years after Voyager.

The trailers (I prefer the Netflix version) gives me more hope.  We cant make judgements about the Klingons yet because we dont know if they were changed as a creative decision or if there is an in-Universe reason.  I have a feeling there is a reason.  I also get the sense they held a lot back from the Trailer (we didnt even see the Captain of the Discovery and, in fact, I dont think we saw the Discovery at all).

Its a very good cast.  Remember this is just a first-look trailer. 

Im a canon junkie, but a sensible one.  There are things you can change due to modern SFX technology and things that should be respected.  Im seeing a lot of commitment to canon.  The uniforms look like reasonable follow-ups to Enterprise.  The ship in the trailer looks very much like the NX-01 from Enterprise.  The flip communicator, tricorder etc.  Red Alert Klaxxon etc. 

We can speculate on some of the story elements.  Assuming the main character is a human raised by Vulcans.  I was very worried about recasting Sarek but from the limited clips, he seems perfectly fine.  Although others have said the acting all seemed stiff.  One thing about Sarek, people will say "play him unemotional" but he actually seemed mildly annoyed at all times.  Thats how he should be played...lol

The big worries were that the production was "troubled", was cheap etc.  Well, clearly it isnt cheap.  And CBS must think its great to extend the first season.

Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I'm not really feeling it.  I agree with most people, it still feels more Star Wars and not enough Star Trek.  I hate the look of the Klingons.  It looks like they turned them into some generic race rather then the rich history and honor their race had, and all the quirks and what not that came with them.

The effects are great, but it's looking like a very generic space show to me.  Should have just continued on years after Voyager.

The Space trailer shows a lot more. Klingons have the JJ look.

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The Space trailer shows a lot more. Klingons have the JJ look.

My friend said the same thing - JJ Klingons.  My understanding is that is not the case.  ie. they resemble them but are not related at all.  CBS is producing this show and Paramount does the films and they dont exactly get along.  CBS would never pay a licensing fee to Paramount or Bad Robot to use their elements when they already own the originals.  I think the look of the Klingons are for a specific reason (some say "ancient" Klingons).

Its possible its just creative license and they are meant to be the same old Klingons.  But we shall see.