The Star Trek Thread!

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Or we could just say...hey budgets change, technology changes, makeup changes. ENT explained the changing Klingon look and ST:DS9 did too :D

It would disappoint me if they changed the Klingon look that much just for the sake of change.  They have maintained the look and feel of the era with the devices, ships and uniforms.  Even the Vulcans.  Changing the Klingons that much seems more like a specific decision for a reason within the show.

There was no need to change the Klingon look.  They had developed them so well and this just looks like garbage, just like JJ's Klingons.  If this is them slowly getting that virus that changes them into more human looking Klingons, then that's fine, but if this is just their new look, that's just stupid.  You can evolve the look of the Klingons, but to destroy the look of them from what they had so awesomely developed to this lame look just stupid.  Not only that, but they all look pretty much the same.

I'm still wondering if Number One is the daughter of Trip and Topal (spelling?).

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

There was no need to change the Klingon look.  They had developed them so well and this just looks like garbage, just like JJ's Klingons.  If this is them slowly getting that virus that changes them into more human looking Klingons, then that's fine, but if this is just their new look, that's just stupid.  You can evolve the look of the Klingons, but to destroy the look of them from what they had so awesomely developed to this lame look just stupid.  Not only that, but they all look pretty much the same.

I'm still wondering if Number One is the daughter of Trip and Topal (spelling?).

Hmmm, I'd point out that Trip and T'pol are both white and Number One is black.  But maybe it doesnt matter in the future...lol  I also dont think Sarek was alive when that baby would have been a child.  There was also an episode that had the Enterprise stuck in the expanse for a while and the Captain was the SON of Trip & T'Pol...

There is a tradition for the previous Trek series to have a character appear in a cameo of the new series' pilot.  I bet that tradition ends with this but a lot of fans would like to see T'Pol show up in a cameo.  She's the easiest to explain...she'd be old but it works as a Vulcan.

Number One could be part Vulcan, not half.  The line "your tongue is too human" is sort of odd.  If she's a regular old human then of course her tongue is human. If she's part Human or something else going on, then it makes more sense to point out that her tongue is "too" human.

oh god I can't believe I'm posting this.  maximum nerd shame engaged.  please ready your mocking gifs.

The thing with the Klingons is even more interesting when you remember that the TOS Klingons were basically swarthy generic Asiatics.  TMP gave us the modern bone crested Klingons.  There are episodes of DS9 where Worf is asked about this and he says they don't talk about it.

So there's already canon established that the Klingons occasionally transform as a species (or wholesale kill off a subspecies, maybe) so it'll be interesting to see if they explain how Discovery Klngons became TOS Klingons became TMP-forward Klingons.

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

oh god I can't believe I'm posting this.  maximum nerd shame engaged.  please ready your mocking gifs.

The thing with the Klingons is even more interesting when you remember that the TOS Klingons were basically swarthy generic Asiatics.  TMP gave us the modern bone crested Klingons.  There are episodes of DS9 where Worf is asked about this and he says they don't talk about it.

So there's already canon established that the Klingons occasionally transform as a species (or wholesale kill off a subspecies, maybe) so it'll be interesting to see if they explain how Discovery Klngons became TOS Klingons became TMP-forward Klingons.

They explained it in Enterprise.  Some augmented humans (ala Khan) had their blood stolen or something and Klingons tried to use it to create an augmented warrior race. But it killed them. Phlox successfully cured it but not before it permanently altered millions of Klingons to look human. 

But the real reason they changed is TOS didn't have the budget for more advanced make up. The more subtle changes TMP and later films (and points in between) is acceptable in my opinion. 

But I do hope there is an in-universe reason for why they look so different  

12 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I'm not really feeling it.  I agree with most people, it still feels more Star Wars and not enough Star Trek.  I hate the look of the Klingons.  It looks like they turned them into some generic race rather then the rich history and honor their race had, and all the quirks and what not that came with them.

The effects are great, but it's looking like a very generic space show to me.  Should have just continued on years after Voyager.

Don't like what I saw of the Klingons briefly. Did they have another some other calamity that changed them prior to TOS?? (Sarcasm). Don't understand why Hollywood is so eager to change what has worked in the past. Add to the history & the characters as well as the different alien races. Or in this case, delve into the past to explain the present. Don't change them. Yet, they did.

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Again....there could be an in universe reason for the change. Everyone should relax until the show airs. 

WE CANNOT...WE MUST RAGE!!!

We are the Internet, your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Regarding Trip and T'Pol's child, it was a girl they named Elizabeth.  The theory on the Internet was that she didn't actually die and she was taken by Section 31 seeing as she was the first half human half vulcan child.  But yeah, after looking up dates, it doesn't line up with Sarek being older.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Any new Star Trek news?

Not a whole lot. 

Producer Kurtzman said many of Fuller's "big ideas" for this season and beyond are still being used even after he left. 

The character of Mudd played by Rainn Wilson is confirmed as being in more than one episode. 

They are putting episode 5 to bed now. 

I think there is secrecy surrounding the details because the details relate to some of the plot elements. 

Nick Meyer (one of the true legends of Trek writing/directing is a consultant on the show. He said Fuller chose this time period because he identified an opportunity to go off on a different stream. Not sure what he means (please not another time line)

also Meyer mentioned he is working on another Trek project that he can't talk about which got fans hopeful he was involved in writing a feature film 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

If nothing else the production value for Discovery looks top notch.  The Klingons look is very impressive but as a bit of a purist I much prefer the TNG/DS9/Voy look.  Maybe it will grow on me.  Nice that they did the Klingon death ritual in the clip.  Some of the writers know their canon. 

Though the death ritual was never seen till TNG.

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Though the death ritual was never seen till TNG.

True.  But it was said in "Heart of Glory" it was the first time outsiders were witness to it.  One can assume the Klingons had been doing it for a while at that point. Can't recall offhand if "Enterprise" ever mentioned it.

Just saying it's nice that the writers seem to be fans of and willing to reference previous Treks.  Unlike J.J Abrams who seemed more intent on making a hybrid Star Trek/Star Wars movie series.  And then he got his wish and made a Star Wars film.  (not that there's anything wrong with that)

4 minutes ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

True.  But it was said in "Heart of Glory" it was the first time outsiders were witness to it.  One can assume the Klingons had been doing it for a while at that point. Can't recall offhand if "Enterprise" ever mentioned it.

Just saying it's nice that the writers seem to be fans of and willing to reference previous Treks.  Unlike J.J Abrams who seemed more intent on making a hybrid Star Trek/Star Wars movie series.  And then he got his wish and made a Star Wars film.  (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I'm rewatching ENT and no mention up till end of S2 that i can recall.

Looks like they borrowing instant warp from JJverse @ 0:54.