The Star Trek Thread!

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I assume this isn't in the Abrams alternate universe but the CBS universe?

Correct and set roughly 10 years before Kirk helms Enterprise so it should exist and be captained by Pike but it could also be April at end of his term but that's all based on non-canon stuff like ST:TAS even if JJ used part of it. Granted the best ep of TAS and just a great one itself.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I'm guessing they changed the Klingons to make them look less human.  But now they just look generic and the same as all others.  But it could have something to do with the virus that is running through them like someone else pointed out before.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They changed the Klingons just because... they don't get it.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/17/star-trek-discovery-klingons-photo/

OMG...what a dumb answer.  "We're hoping the story is good enough that people overlook that fact that we butchered a well known species.  I mean, Abrams did it too you know.  And plus, Klingons have changed a lot though the Star Trek history".

Yeah...this producer knows what he's doing.

Fuller's original idea was to create an anthology series similar to American Horror Story.  Every season would be a new era, beginning with Discovery and going through Kirk's time, Picard's time and beyond.  CBS wouldn't commit until Discovery proves to be a success.

Fuller went over budget and fought with CBS about the pilot director as well as things like the uniforms (Fuller wanted something closer to TOS) and his time constrains due to his other series.

This jives with early speculation where the lead, Burnham, was kept more under wraps.  I have a feeling she would have been the common thread between all the series' so either she isn't fully human or that was changed. Perhaps she was Vulcan.

Im actually really excited for Discovery.

Regarding the Klingons, as much as I am a canon junkie, Im good with this.

Some people who are really opposed are over looking the fact that every version of Star Trek altered the design of the Klingons.  In fact, in TNG, Worf's make up changed from season to season.  I still think they might provide an in-universe reason for the difference with these being ancient or nomadic Klingons.  Not all humans look alike, why should all Klingons? 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Regarding the Klingons, as much as I am a canon junkie, Im good with this.

Some people who are really opposed are over looking the fact that every version of Star Trek altered the design of the Klingons.  In fact, in TNG, Worf's make up changed from season to season.  I still think they might provide an in-universe reason for the difference with these being ancient or nomadic Klingons.  Not all humans look alike, why should all Klingons? 

Yeah but after the ST:E explanation it all made sense.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah but after the ST:E explanation it all made sense.

I respectfully disagree.  Enterprise made a cute episode about it but it actually made things worse.  It made very little sense that people in Star Fleet would forget what Klingons looked like.  Both Enterprise and DS9 contributed to this by being cute.  The original intent was Klingons look how they look and despite make up issues in the 60's, we would ignore it. 

Regardless, Discovery Klingons look like Klingons in the same way different humans look like humans.  I have no issue with it.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I respectfully disagree.  Enterprise made a cute episode about it but it actually made things worse.  It made very little sense that people in Star Fleet would forget what Klingons looked like.  Both Enterprise and DS9 contributed to this by being cute.  The original intent was Klingons look how they look and despite make up issues in the 60's, we would ignore it. 

Regardless, Discovery Klingons look like Klingons in the same way different humans look like humans.  I have no issue with it.

Yeah pretty much.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Watched The Orville this evening. Never liked sci fi comedies but this series may be more Trek than Star Trek: Discovery. I have a feeling ST:D is going to be one big cluster.... . 

I went into Orville with an open mind and I've seen this three times now - people saying Orville is "Star Trek".  Im perplexed.  Its exactly what it looked like - a lame, cheap Trek parody filled with stupid jokes, 90% of which are not funny whatsoever.  The sets and costumes are cheap.  The CGI is "Cheap Enterprise" level. 

Star Trek releases these amazing promos, super slickly produced with great CGI and effects and have a line "this is cool" and everyone goes crazy about a person using "cool" in the future.  Yet in Orville, they dont even pretend.  It's all "dude this" and "friggen" that as if people from the 90's are transplanted to the 2400's.

If CBS was at all worried about Orville taking any Trek audience, they dont have to be.  Orville was terrible.  And if the show is expensive (I dont know where they would have spent much money), it wont last.  Its BORING.  30 minutes, maybe.  But a one hour "drama"?  So boring.

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Watched The Orville this evening. Never liked sci fi comedies but this series may be more Trek than Star Trek: Discovery. I have a feeling ST:D is going to be one big cluster.... . 

ST:D apparently will be one one story arc for the season so that should help but it wont be nearly as funny :mellow:

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its BORING.  30 minutes, maybe.  But a one hour "drama"? 

That might be it. Cut it down to 30 and split the eps if you have to.

While Star Trek has always had elements of humor, it isn't a comedy.  So certainly, I dont expect Discovery to be very funny.  I'd say the humour in Trek works more as "charm" and comes from the chemistry between characters.  Of course, The Voyage Home had humor that came from the setting.  In a way, Orville does the reverse of this, taking the dude bro 90's humor and putting it in the 2400's. 

But that would work better if it had more of a futuerama premise with someone from the 90's actually awakened in the 2400's so they could be OUR perspective.  Instead, it just looks like poorly scripted actors on a space stage.

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

While Star Trek has always had elements of humor, it isn't a comedy.  So certainly, I dont expect Discovery to be very funny.  I'd say the humour in Trek works more as "charm" and comes from the chemistry between characters.  Of course, The Voyage Home had humor that came from the setting.  In a way, Orville does the reverse of this, taking the dude bro 90's humor and putting it in the 2400's. 

But that would work better if it had more of a futuerama premise with someone from the 90's actually awakened in the 2400's so they could be OUR perspective.  Instead, it just looks like poorly scripted actors on a space stage.

It's a comedy. It's not going to win an Emmy for best writing or acting. It's a spoof. You seem really upset that it seemed to have crossed some kind of Star Trek canon.  The problem with Star Trek starting with Abrams is that everything has changed. Alternate Universe,  Vulcan destroyed. Kirk becomes Captain of the Enterprise on what looked like a lark. Now, we have the new ST series where the actors are forbidden to say the word God on screen. Yes, the Captain said the phrase, "Oh God" as an adlib during filming & one of the writers told him under no circumstance is any reference to religion to be allowed. The Klingons look totally different. The series from everything I've read, looks like it's going to implode with all the actors in the series telling their agents to find them a new gig after December as to a man & woman they expect it to be cancelled.. Star Trek fans seem upset with everything they've seen & read about the new series. The Orville is a spoof, But it does contain a lot of Trek references in it. It's tongue in cheek, nothing more. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's a comedy. It's not going to win an Emmy for best writing or acting. It's a spoof. You seem really upset that it seemed to have crossed some kind of Star Trek canon.  The problem with Star Trek starting with Abrams is that everything has changed. Alternate Universe,  Vulcan destroyed. Kirk becomes Captain of the Enterprise on what looked like a lark. Now, we have the new ST series where the actors are forbidden to say the word God on screen. Yes, the Captain said the phrase, "Oh God" as an adlib during filming & one of the writers told him under no circumstance is any reference to religion to be allowed. The Klingons look totally different. The series from everything I've read, looks like it's going to implode with all the actors in the series telling their agents to find them a new gig after December as to a man & woman they expect it to be cancelled.. Star Trek fans seem upset with everything they've seen & read about the new series. The Orville is a spoof, But it does contain a lot of Trek references in it. It's tongue in cheek, nothing more. 

lol  No, Im not upset.  Im disappointed Orville sucks.  I think there is merit to a spoof along the lines of Galaxy Quest.  Seth MacFarlane just isnt the right guy to pull it off.  If anything, Orville was not enough Star Trek, but it relied on people knowing Trek to think some of the humor was funny.  If you dont know "Worf" do you think the wooden delivery of the "Klingon-like" bridge officer is funny?

They also came pretty close to infringement with some of the music which isnt as protected under parody.  Doesnt bother me as I dont make money off music but I know people were talking about that the day after.

Abrams has nothing to do with Discovery so the changes he made to Star Trek really are moot.

The actors are not forbidden to say God.  The clarification came that that particular character, the writers didnt want saying God.  You know, cause actors are paid to read the lines written for them.

The Klingons have changed their look many times.  This is a red herring to me.  Its low hanging fruit for people who want to complain about the new series.  But they dont look that different and they've changed so many times it really doesnt matter.

I would strongly suspect the actors' agents have been instructed to find them work after December because its a 15 episode season.  So unless they want a big vacation between seasons, why wouldn't they work?  The writing and producing staff have begun work on a second season and have a loose idea for a third as well.

Given the nature of the business model for Discovery, whether it gets renewed will be up to CBS to continue to support a very expensive series.  Because traditional viewership numbers wont matter.  If it sucks and is critically panned, CBS might go back to the drawing board.  But they already extended season one by three very expensive episodes, so we can assume CBS liked what they were seeing.

The Orville is a spoof, yes, which makes Seth a liar because he's been everywhere saying its serious sci fi akin to Star Trek, with some humor.  Its not.  If you liked it, great.  Seth continues to get paid and his shows get watched so he has a fan base.  I grew tired of his comedy awhile back.  I watched Family Guy and American Dad religiously.  But its generally the same thing over and over again.  And I didnt see any new ground in Orville either.  Unless the characters or visuals are interesting, the old lame jokes wont be able to sustain it.  And so far, the visuals are average at best and the characters range from boring to obnoxious.

Seth isnt a leading man.  He's not a good enough actor.  And doesnt look the part.  Switching the Captain and First Officer would make a better dynamic.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm not a fan of sci fi comedies but prepared to give it a chance although lining The Orville up against SNF isn't the best idea. Space also slotted Discovery on Sunday night so we'll see how it goes. 

Space is airing it Sunday to match CBS in the US. I believe Netflix is actually airing it internationally a day later. Since it's on streaming in the US they won't be as concerned about live viewership.