The Star Trek Thread!

Voyager was mostly boring.  Great concept on paper but they never executed it.  They over-used the Borg.  In the first couple episodes they set up a great story where they were alone with limited resources (the whole point of Neelix being the cook was because they were rationing replicator power) and two crews coming together that hated each other.  But every episode the ship would get beat up and be fine for the next episode, they needed a cook but used the holodeck all the time, and the hated Maquis just became immediately assimilated into the Starfleet crew.  boring.

Enterprise was similar.  Great concept but never executed well.  I love Scott Bakula but he was badly miscast as Archer.  The whole Xindi war arc was terrible and boring and ended with Nazis...ugh.  By the time Manny Coto came aboard to showrun the final season and begin paying off the prequel concept, it was too late.  Even then, Coto got too focused on explaining canon violations, like why the Vulcan's were jerks and why the Klingons looked different.  basically answering questions that nobody asked.

And Enterprise had the single worst finale in Trek history.

DS9 had the best cast, best writers and best stories.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'll just say it.  I still love Commander Ryker.

When it first aired, I actually couldn't stand Picard as Captain and hoped every time he got captured and Will took the Captain's chair that he would just remain Captain.  I would have loved to see a spinoff with Riker as Captain of his own ship.

13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Tough one . It's pretty close tie for DS9/VOY. Although DS9 had great ending and VOY bad. I just can't watch TNG anymore.

Or ENT first 2

ENT last 2

Not all of season 2, it got pretty good at the end.

I'm pretty much the same... I liked DS9 the most followed by Voyager (took me a while to get into it though and also wasn't a fan of the ending).

I could never get into Enterprise so that's my least favorite.

Edited by bigg jay

On 10/3/2017 at 8:06 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Michael Learned (also played Katherine Chancellor on Y&R when the original actress was sick) is always the example used.  Which sort of proves the rule.  She's the only one anyone can think of lol. 

Watching Airport 75 on Netflix i forgots about Christopher Norris. So that's two.

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Watching Airport 75 on Netflix i forgots about Christopher Norris. So that's two.

Good one!  The Airport movies are on Netflix?  I bought the Blu Ray a couple of years ago.  LOVE those films.  Scared the hell out of me as a child and made me afraid to fly.  I miss the old 70's style movies with the sappy relationships and drama.  They made you care about the characters. 

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Good one!  The Airport movies are on Netflix?  I bought the Blu Ray a couple of years ago.  LOVE those films.  Scared the hell out of me as a child and made me afraid to fly.  I miss the old 70's style movies with the sappy relationships and drama.  They made you care about the characters. 

Just 75, I've seen 77 in the past on NF.

39 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Just 75, I've seen 77 in the past on NF.

Im sorry for going off topic but let me say I love these films.  If people havent seen them, they should:

Airport (starring Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Burt Lancaster, Jacqueline Bissett): The film is about an airport manager trying to keep his airport open during a snowstorm, while a suicidal bomber plots to blow up a Boeing 707 airliner in flight. It takes place at fictional Lincoln International Airport near Chicago, Illinois.

Airport 75:(Starring Charlton Heston, Erika Estrada, George Kennedy, Sid Caesar, Linda Blair, Karen Black): The plot concerns the dramatic events aboard an airborne Boeing 747 when a small aircraft crashes into the cockpit causing the fatalities of senior crew and the blinding of the pilot with no one aboard qualified to take the controls.

The one I remember the most as a kid:

Airport 77 (Starring George Kennedy, Jack Lemmon, Christopher Lee, Lee Grant, James Stewart) The plot concerns a private Boeing 747 packed with V.I.Ps and priceless art that is hijacked before crashing into the ocean in the Bermuda Triangle, prompting the survivors to undertake a desperate struggle for survival.[3][4]

There was also Airport Concord where Kennedy is now a pilot (promoted from maintenance worker) but it wasnt very good.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Im sorry for going off topic but let me say I love these films.  If people havent seen them, they should:

Airport (starring Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Burt Lancaster, Jacqueline Bissett): The film is about an airport manager trying to keep his airport open during a snowstorm, while a suicidal bomber plots to blow up a Boeing 707 airliner in flight. It takes place at fictional Lincoln International Airport near Chicago, Illinois.

Airport 75:(Starring Charlton Heston, Erika Estrada, George Kennedy, Sid Caesar, Linda Blair, Karen Black): The plot concerns the dramatic events aboard an airborne Boeing 747 when a small aircraft crashes into the cockpit causing the fatalities of senior crew and the blinding of the pilot with no one aboard qualified to take the controls.

Airport 77 (Starring George Kennedy, Jack Lemmon, Christopher Lee, Lee Grant, James Stewart) The plot concerns a private Boeing 747 packed with V.I.Ps and priceless art that is hijacked before crashing into the ocean in the Bermuda Triangle, prompting the survivors to undertake a desperate struggle for survival.[3][4]

There was also Airport Concord where Kennedy is now a pilot (promoted from maintenance worker) but it wasnt very good.

Lee Grant is uber great in 77.

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I remember that movie....freaked me out.

The original 1970 Airport with Kennedy, Dean Martin & Jacqueline Bissett was a good movie. Check out Marooned also filmed in 1969 about a doomed Apollo flight stuck in orbit when the thrusters won't fire to start their descent starred Gregory Peck. One of my personal favourites. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

There is a great theory going around about something (and someone) from this episode.  Ill spoiler tag it in case people want to go in cold because it MIGHT be a spoiler:

Spoiler

Some have theorized that Ash Tyler is actually the Klingon Voq.  I dismissed the idea.  But we have some clued. 

- The actor who plays Ash Tyler is named Shazad Latif.  He was originally announced as playing a Klingon but it was later said he swapped roles with someone due to a reaction to make up.

- The actor who plays Voq is Javid Iqbal who has no other credits and seemingly doesnt exist.

- Shazad Latif was born Shazad Khaliq Iqbal

- In the episode, Tyler tells Lorca he's been imprisoned since the original battle and alludes to being a sex slave of L'Rell.  However, we know L'rell was essentially stranded on T'Kuvma's damaged ship for six months (last episode) so Ash is lying.

- L'Rell told Voq she had a plan and was taking him to the maternal leaders of her House where he would have to sacrifice "everything".  Could that mean his Klingon-anity? 

The theory is that perhaps they used the Augment Virus seen on Enterprise to make Voq human looking to infiltrate Disovery.  This would explain why they targeted Lorca and why his excape was rather easily accomplished.

Raine Wilson was great as Harry Mudd.

When Saru asked the computer to display the most decorated Captains, it listed Robert April, Jonthan Archer, Philippa Georgieou, Matt Decker and Chris Pike.  This "canonizes" Robert April for the first time (first Captain of the Enterprise).  April had previously appeared in The Animated Series and in the comic prequel to STID (both pseudo-canon).

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Raine Wilson was great as Harry Mudd.

When Saru asked the computer to display the most decorated Captains, it listed Robert April, Jonthan Archer, Philippa Georgieou, Matt Decker and Chris Pike.  This "canonizes" Robert April for the first time (first Captain of the Enterprise).  April had previously appeared in The Animated Series and in the comic prequel to STID (both pseudo-canon).

The Captain who went insane & called himself Lord Garth was told by Kirk that he was a legend when he was at Starfleet Academy so I was surprised he wasn't on that list. Even though he became a sadistic murderer Kirk still respected him.  Then upon further thought, Discovery is set a decade before Kirk's encounter with Garth so his exploits may not have occurred yet so who knows? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Captain who went insane & called himself Lord Garth was told by Kirk that he was a legend when he was at Starfleet Academy so I was surprised he wasn't on that list. Even though he became a sadistic murderer Kirk still respected him.  Then upon further thought, Discovery is set a decade before Kirk's encounter with Garth so his exploits may not have occurred yet so who knows? 

yeah, I dont think its ever been canonized when the Battle of Axanar took place, which is one of the things Garth was most known for.  So its possible he hadnt been highly decorated yet.  Although didnt Kirk say Garth's exploits were required reading at the academy, which would imply when HE (Kirk) was at the academy and at the time of Discovery Kirk would be graduated. 

Then again, it was also never established, I dont think, that Garth was a last name.  It would make sense to be but perhaps his name was Garth Zulu and Saru didnt get to the second page (it went alphabetical and stopped at "P", when Saru cut off the computer.  Or, Garth was good, but not more highly decorated than those shows.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They did mention his real name in the episode in question on TOS I believe, but I can't recall.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Garth_of_Izar

I dont think his name was mentioned.  It was based on the real person Thomas Garth and in novels was called Kelvar Garth.  I guess if he was left off the list its simply because he wasnt as decorated.  He was known as an explorer so while  that might be legendary, it might not earn him the medals.  His boasts to Kirk about being a great military tactician could just be boasting.

He was also nuts.  So perhaps his "decorations" were revoked.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont think his name was mentioned.  It was based on the real person Thomas Garth and in novels was called Kelvar Garth.  I guess if he was left off the list its simply because he wasnt as decorated.  He was known as an explorer so while  that might be legendary, it might not earn him the medals.  His boasts to Kirk about being a great military tactician could just be boasting.

He was also nuts.  So perhaps his "decorations" were revoked.

After the second Discovery episode where Captain Lorca was introduced to us some here speculated he may have been Lord Garth. Lorca is not Lord Garth. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

After the second Discovery episode where Captain Lorca was introduced to us some here speculated he may have been Lord Garth. Lorca is not Lord Garth. 

Yes I heard that speculation for awhile.  I liked the idea.  But clearly its not now.  Lorca is good though.  I have a sense he doesnt come back for Season 2 but hopefully I am wrong.  He's great.

It would have been interesting if they had used Garth as the Captain of the Discovery as we would have known that he was a decorated Star Fleet Captain who would soon descend into madness in the coming years. Might have added even more of an edge to the character. I wonder if we'll ever see (even if it's just a brief scene or two) a young Ensign or Lieutenant Kirk serving in Star Fleet?