Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

‘Avatar 2’ Release Date May Have Been Pushed Back from December 2017 to Avoid Clash with ‘Star Wars 8’

Last year, there were reports that the sequel to the most successful film of all time, “Avatar,” will have a release date of December 2016.

However, given the huge technical requirements of critically-acclaimed director, writer, and producer James Cameron for “Avatar 2,” it has been decided by Cameron and the executives of 20th Century Fox that the film will have a release date of December 2017 instead, Christmas Day.

That’s in addition to the fact that James Cameron will be filming not only “Avatar 2” but also “Avatar 3” and “Avatar 4” in one production, thus justifying the need for more time.

Towards the latter part of 2015, the reports were more or less consistent in saying that filming for “Avatar 2” and the two other sequels shall commence in April 2016, which would provide more than enough time before the movie gets to be shown in global theaters on December 2017. “Avatar 3” and “Avatar 4” will be shown one year after the other similar to what “The Hunger Games” has done in the course of four films, which shall also be adapted by the “Divergent” series also in the course of four movies.

However, the December 25, 2017 release date of “Avatar 2” has been recently taken off from the 2017 release schedule of 20th Century Fox sometime in February, leaving the film without a new official release date.

It remains to be seen whether the disappearance of “Avatar 2” from the release schedule of 20th Century Fox for next year was just temporary or for good measure.

Assuming that “Avatar 2” would not come out to theaters as planned on December 25 next year, it would sure douse cold water anew on the excitement of fans on the movie since its predecessor movie came out way back in 2009.

Avoiding a confrontation?

There are rumors going around lately that the reason why 20th Century Fox removed the December 25, 2017 playdate of “Avatar 2” is because it wanted to avoid a possible confrontation with “Star Wars 8,” which reportedly would have the same release date.

“Avatar 2” is vying to equal if not surpass the US$2.7 billion mark made at the box-office by “Avatar” in 2009. If the movie comes out exactly at the same time or just a week apart with “Star Wars 8,” “Avatar 2” would really be hardpressed to make better money at the box-office on its own.

It can be recalled that “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is now the third all-time highest grossing movie next only to “Avatar” and “Titanic.” Disney Pictures would leave no stones unturned in ensuring that “Star Wars 8” would also be good and worthy of making it to the list of highest-grossing movies of all time.

Pitting the two heavyweights at the box-office at the same time or about the same time would surely take a toll on the box-office potentials of each movie and they would surely find it difficult to make it to the top while trying to outdo each other.

The decision of 20th Century Fox to remove “Avatar 2” from its second playdate of December 25, 2017 may be a sublime statement that it does not want to compete with a possible blockbuster in the box-office because it would only ruin the chances of the sequel to gun for the record of the original film.

Jake and Neytiri’s family in the limelight

Based on latest reports, filming and principal photography for “Avatar 2” will begin on April 15 and it shall take place in New Zealand and Manhattan Beach, California.

The film’s new plot shall reportedly follow Jake Sully’s permanent embodiment of his Na’vi avatar and his new life with Princess Neytiri. Jake is to be portrayed by Sam Worthington while Zoe Saldana will reprise her role as Princess Neytiri, notes the Lawyer Herald.

There are also reports saying that the plot of “Avatar 2” shall focus on the children of Jake Sully and Neytiri and that Sully will soon be chieftain of their tribe while Neytiri will serve as a priestess.

James Cameron has come out recently to say that the three upcoming sequels of “Avatar” can actually stand alone on their own.

smart thinking not to go toe to toe with star wars in the box office

Calling it now but Avatar 2 is going to flop. Avatar got a lot of buzz as a showcase for 3D but seems like the fad for 3D is waning and let's be honest here, Avatar as a movie wasn't all that great. It made butt loads of cash but I don't really see the same demand for a sequel being there. 

space pocahontas wasnt a great story!? jk yeah i didnt care for avatar myself tbh.  I get the sense itll be similar to the matrix trilogy in response/results.  the first one was innovative with some special effects feature(s) but the story will get all dumb.  Like the humans will take the Na'vi's defiance against their military as an act of war and go all out in the upcoming movies.  i suppose it paves the way into introducing new creatures and places on Pandora but the story will get worse and worse just like the matrix

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

It's basically a movie that's only contribution to society currently is for people to show off 3D televisions... does anyone actually buy those? 

I've heard of so many people that get sick using those 3D tv's.  I would never buy one.  Just another gimmick to sell stuff.  Give me a sharper image over 3D any day.

7 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I've heard of so many people that get sick using those 3D tv's.  I would never buy one.  Just another gimmick to sell stuff.  Give me a sharper image over 3D any day.

Im somewhat in the market for a new TV (when I move anyways...which is hopefully soon) and at the TV's Ive been looking at, it seems 3D comes included.  I wouldnt buy a TV because it had 3D but I'd probably try it if it had it. 

this movie along with Gambit were pushed back, but here's a quick synopsis;

Alien: Covenant
2017 film
Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Initial release: October 6, 2017 (USA)
Genre: Fantasy

I for one am glad they are tying in the 2 movies.  It was pretty obvious watching Prometheus it had Aliens written all over it, nice they are actually going forth with it

Well I really enjoyed Deadpool. I had little to no knowledge of the comic and hadn't seen any previews.  Entertaining and really funny.

Had no idea Deadpool was Canadian, so hilarious surprise in the theater when he mentions he's from Regina, SK and then proceeds to hoof a bugger in the face while saying, "and this is why Regina rhymes with fun!".

On 2016-03-01 at 0:53 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah...sure...but the price point is awfully high for a smaller tv.  65" for $8000.  Dosnt OLED burn out after just a few years?

Im considering a Sony 75" thats under $6000 right now.  or an LG 84" but it's well over $8000 right now.  I want the screen size....

Projector?

See that's just it.  They were saying that it was a reboot of the franchise, yet Bill Murray and Dan Ackroyd were going to cameo.  And then the trailer makes it feel like it's a continuation...I'm kind of confused.  But they're not the kids of those guys from what I know.

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

Well, this doesn't look promising.  Just my opinion though.  I'm sure some will like it.  There was a couple of laughs but otherwise it felt very underwhelming.  Only the first trailer though so we'll see.

Ugh.... First of all Leslie Jones is not funny at all so that's a miss, second of all the trailer makes it seem like they're letting Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig try and carry the thing, haven't we seen enough of those two? Kate Mckinnon can do whatever the **** she wants and I'll probably laugh though. This whole thing just seemed like a bad idea from the get go and they haven't changed my mind at all. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Ugh.... First of all Leslie Jones is not funny at all so that's a miss, second of all the trailer makes it seem like they're letting Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig try and carry the thing, haven't we seen enough of those two? Kate Mckinnon can do whatever the **** she wants and I'll probably laugh though. This whole thing just seemed like a bad idea from the get go and they haven't changed my mind at all. 

That looks horrible.  McCarthy and Wiig are both cool but they seem mis-cast here.