Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Superman Returns was 100 times better than Man of Steel.

Horrible casting IMHO other then Spacey but then they ruined spacey but having comedy sidekick fem like 78 Superman.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They made two mistakes that have snow-balled.  1) Decided they needed to catch up to Marvel.  Where Marvel took a slow world-building approach to get to the Avengers, DC skipped everything and went right to the team up.  2) Handed the keys to Zack Snyder.

Handing the keys to the director of 300 and The Watchmen did not seem so bad at the time and I liked MoS.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah, ledgers joker handily saves it for me but DKR was not a fan of at all.  It feels like they just wanted to rush into the frank miller story line knowing how epic it was but then half arsed it. They didnt have to keep the nolan verse, I think it would have been safe to move into the more supernatural especially with ras al ghoul. That with the gritty, dark feel of batman vs what we saw prior to batstiffler nolan would have gone a long ways. 

Ehh, idk. fantastic 4, most of the xmen movies, hulk wasnt great, and the majority of comic book / spiderman fans did not like those movies either. And they didnt age or end well. Going into iron man marvel was in a hole. Their approach was to use fantastic casting, and slow methodical story/world building + a fantastic pile of back stories to lure people in. They went candy in a van. DCCU went crazed flasher in a trench coat. 

But DC has certainly dug out of a ton of holes in the past. The comic crash, comic code crack down, batman and robin etc. If they take a breather from the movies, then come back in a couple years with that same awesome casting taking time to tell a few characters stories they could salvage it. But they wont. money money money money!

I actually liked the first 2 sam raimi spider mans, especially the 2nd,  the 3rd could have been much better but they killed it with venom.

I thought they were better then the Andrew Garfield version anyways

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I rewatched the reboot of Conan not that long ago and Momoa isn't that great of an actor IMO,  looks great, but given any real dialog and it's cringe worthy.

I checked out the Conan reboot because I thought Momoa was phenomenal as Khal Drogo in Game Of Thrones but God was that movie terrible. Not sure if he was saved in GoT by not speaking a real language and looking the part or Conan was just a giant mess all around

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I actually liked the first 2 sam raimi spider mans, especially the 2nd,  the 3rd could have been much better but they killed it with venom.

I thought they were better then the Andrew Garfield version anyways

Too whiny and emo for my liking. Even the first 2. The 3rd was fantastic 4 bad. Couldnt come near close to finishing it. Im not a fan of the really young portrayal of peter parker.  

13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Horrible casting IMHO other then Spacey but then they ruined spacey but having comedy sidekick fem like 78 Superman.

Handing the keys to the director of 300 and The Watchmen did not seem so bad at the time and I liked MoS.

I liked Kevin Spacey and Brandon Routhe.  I also liked the guy that played Jimmy and Perry.  The rest of the cast was meh.  And Returns would have been really good had they removed the kid from the story.  Just wasn't a good idea to start with a kid in your reboot.

First 2 X-Men movies, First Class and Days of Future past were all met with good reviews and did well.  Raimi's Spiderman 1 and 2 also did really well and was met with good reviews.  X3 and Spiderman 3, although they did well, were met with very bad reviews.

Personally, I enjoyed F4 1 and 2, but that's just a guilty pleasure. 

15 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I liked Kevin Spacey and Brandon Routhe.  I also liked the guy that played Jimmy and Perry.  The rest of the cast was meh.  And Returns would have been really good had they removed the kid from the story.  Just wasn't a good idea to start with a kid in your reboot.

I could see the argument that Kate Bosworth wasnt right for the role.  But none of the casting bothered me. Spacey and Routhe in particular were good.  Routhe looked like Chris Reeve in a spooky way and really captured his mannerisms, which was the point ofcourse as this was a sequel to Superman II.

Another bonehead move on Warner Brother's part.  Even though Returns made money, it didnt make what WB's wanted so they re-booted.  I could see THAT Superman and Bale's Batman existing in the same world because they seemed so opposite.  Whereas in Snyder's world, Superman is dark and gritty...Batman is dark and gritty.  Everyone is humorless and depressed.

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

First 2 X-Men movies, First Class and Days of Future past were all met with good reviews and did well.  Raimi's Spiderman 1 and 2 also did really well and was met with good reviews.  X3 and Spiderman 3, although they did well, were met with very bad reviews.

Personally, I enjoyed F4 1 and 2, but that's just a guilty pleasure. 

Jessica Alba guilty pleasure.

Just to expand on Superman Returns, I always had an idea I wish they had used.  Start the film with newsreel coverage of Superman vs Doomsday fight.  CNN live style.  What a start to a film.  Use CGI within the shaky news footage to make it Reeve's Superman.  He seemingly defeats Doomsday but is critically wounded.  Cut to a hospital where Reeve now playing the injured and crippled Superman/Kent.  He gives a tearful goodbye and "dies".

If they had wanted, this would have been a good way to bring in Batman.  Meanwhile, they do whatever they do that results in Superman's return and rejuvenation (in-universe explaining why he's the same but sort of different).  And a great farewell to Reeve as Superman.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Just to expand on Superman Returns, I always had an idea I wish they had used.  Start the film with newsreel coverage of Superman vs Doomsday fight.  CNN live style.  What a start to a film.  Use CGI within the shaky news footage to make it Reeve's Superman.  He seemingly defeats Doomsday but is critically wounded.  Cut to a hospital where Reeve now playing the injured and crippled Superman/Kent.  He gives a tearful goodbye and "dies".

If they had wanted, this would have been a good way to bring in Batman.  Meanwhile, they do whatever they do that results in Superman's return and rejuvenation (in-universe explaining why he's the same but sort of different).  And a great farewell to Reeve as Superman.

That's pretty good.

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

That's pretty good.

Thank you.  In Superman Returns, the idea was "does the world need Superman" based on the belief he abandoned Earth.  Instead, if he had sacrificed himself to save Earth, they can still ask that same question but from a much more interesting perspective.  How would the world face the threats they must face without Superman.  How does someone like Batman try to fill the boots of a God or inspire others to do the same?

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Isn't that what is the difference? People die in the DCU?

I guess we will see, I personally don't think he is the right guy to do a superhero movie.  War movies absolutely, but he doesn't strike me as the type who is too into comics which I think is essential when trying to incarnate a potentially iconic fictional character(s)

I know there are other directors being considered as well but I like Gibson as a director so I'd be ok with him getting a shot.  His not liking those kinds of movies doesn't concern me... DC has hired a lot of guys who do like comics and look how that has worked out for them!

The thing with Gibson and DC is, DC would want to have their hands in what's going on and Gibson is not the kind of director who lets people meddle in his projects.  Now if DC can back off and let him do his thing, then I think this will work out.  But if they're going to try and mess with Gibson's vision...it won't happen.  You'll see Gibson walk away.