Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

8 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It will be interesting to see which joker they are going to run with and what origin they run with, as there seems to be a few interpretations.

I get the feeling if Scorsese is involved, it will likely be akin to Leto's mob boss version (without Leto) and be him rising up through the ranks, probably as some kind of IRA bomber or something

46 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

There is a Joker origin movie, its called Batman: The Killing Joke. Came out last year.

I've seen that and it's one version of his origin (down on his luck guy trying to be a comic but no one finds him funny and he snaps) but I think the Joker's origin is likely more like the original Tim Burton film where he's a thug. I doubt he's the one who kills Thomas and Martha Wayne like in that movie, but starts off as a low level criminal, gets into a gang/family,  eventually assumes control. They could go into his past with things like how he became so good at explosives (maybe one went off on him and it F'd him up) or they make it like he's a bipolar nut job that's just crazy AF

I like the idea of a gritty crime drama about the joker. But WB's really risking the golden goose with this unfocused vision for DC. 

I maintain their error was in wanting to catch up to Marvel by skipping ahead to Justice League with an older batman etc. 

They should have started from scratch.  And moved slowly forward.  Essentially have Bruce Wayne as the tony Stark of DC. 

They already have issues with affleck. 

Now they want to go backwards with an unrelated joker origin. They want to give us nightwing without the established drama of why he even exists. And the best thing they've got, Wonder Woman, is at risk because she's connected to a boring superman and an aging batman. 

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Michael K Williams dropped out of the Han Solo film, which is unfortunate since he's a really good actor.  He claims he filmed his scenes with the old directors but they needed him for re-shoots as his performance didnt match the new tone under new director Ron Howard.  And he was unavailable.

That sucks.  Says he was supposed to be a half human half animal character.  I wonder if he was going to be a Bothan.  We'd finally get to see what they looked like if that's what he was playing.

Edited by Logan007

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

What the hell is WB doing??

That's just ridiculous. They're criticized for years for not doing creating what Marvel has done, then they start a universe, only to abandon it after it starts to take hold?

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's just ridiculous. They're criticized for years for not doing creating what Marvel has done, then they start a universe, only to abandon it after it starts to take hold?

I thought the bigger story was the Joker origin movie would be set in 80s. As for The Batman i wonder if they will clarify it as a prequel.

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

You;re looking for another steelbook?

No I said "did you get a second copy".  I've read some people buy two copies to make sure they don't get one that's dented and return the other one to the store.   I didn't get any copy.  I'm very sad.

44 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought the bigger story was the Joker origin movie would be set in 80s. As for The Batman i wonder if they will clarify it as a prequel.

That's what I'm thinking.  I think they just mean that it's before Justice League.

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As someone who hasn't watched most of the DC movies yet... this confuses me and makes me even less inclined in checking out the movie. 

Exactly.  How can they gain traction with a bunch of films with various actors playing the same characters in unconnected movies?  Makes zero sense. 

They friggen goofed when they have Snyder the keys to the kingdom. They goofed when they decided to have an old batman.  They goofed when they cast the joker so soon and in suicide squad of all places. They goofed with Jesse Eisenberg as lex. 

At some point they have to just stop. Re-evaluate the plan and start over if need be. 

At least lex was cut from justice league. That's a step in the right direction. And reportedly the film was "unwatchable" until Whedon was hired to fix it. 

It's too bad because I really liked Ben as Batman/Bruce Wayne.  I think he's my favorite as that character as he just has the look and stature.  I liked Michael Keaton but he just didn't have the size and Christian Bale just didn't do it for me.  He always has this "I'm clueless" look on his face.  Great actor but just not Batman for me, although I did enjoy the first and second movie.  Val was a good Batman/Bruce Wayne but Joel Schumacher just ruined the Batman movies with all the goofiness.

50 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

It's too bad because I really liked Ben as Batman/Bruce Wayne.  I think he's my favorite as that character as he just has the look and stature.  I liked Michael Keaton but he just didn't have the size and Christian Bale just didn't do it for me.  He always has this "I'm clueless" look on his face.  Great actor but just not Batman for me, although I did enjoy the first and second movie.  Val was a good Batman/Bruce Wayne but Joel Schumacher just ruined the Batman movies with all the goofiness.

I really like Affleck in general and he's a good Batman.  Bale is a better actor and they havent asked Affleck to do much as the character so its not like his acting talents are being pushed.  But I thought the excuse to go with Affleck over Bale was odd.  They said they wanted an older, grittier Batman.  Affleck is only two years older than Bale.  And one could argue Affleck looks younger.

But for me, I was concerned because the plan was to have a multi-year arc and you cast an actor in his 40's for a physical role.  And Affleck has had trouble getting into shape before.  But he is physically imposing, more so than Bale as Affleck is much larger. 

If they want to tell stories of the younger characters, fine, but tie it into the larger world, like with Wonder Woman.  It would make sense to show us batman with **** Grayson to prelude the Nightwing film.  And you can then move on to Death in the Family with Jason Todd's Robin and show us how/why Batman became the angry guy he was in BvS.  They just seemed to skip over so much.

they fell in love with Zack Snyder for some reason, even though Man of Steel sucked.  And they decided to build the world around Snyder's vision.  Now they are scrambling.

I only liked Affleck as Bruce Wayne. Maybe because I grew up with the 90's Batman: The Animated Series, i got used to a batman cowl with the solid white eyes (no actual eyes seen) and every time I see the campy batman with west, or the movies with keaton, kilmer, clooney, bale and affleck as batman but with make up around their eyes to the darken it up, it still gives off too much emotion - as Logan said with Bale, it emphasized a "I'm clueless" look.  That would be my 1 change I'd do to batman if i had the power anyways

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

3 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I still think the speech by Ben at the beginning is the best part of the movie. The Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney films were tongue in cheek so none should be considered but Clooney would have made a great Batman if the film was serious. Schu's first film with Kilmer was up to par with the Burton ones.

Bale films are pretty close to the best we will ever get as they had the most realism.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg