Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yet you enjoyed the Nolan trilogy which had long periods of boredom and terrible acting by Christian Bale?  

aka the best batman there's ever been...?  ...Also, by far the most talented actor they've ever got to play Batman....

Edited by Noeller

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

aka the best batman there's ever been...?  ...Also, by far the most talented actor they've ever got to play Batman....

When the bar is set at Arnold saying Time to Chill.... it doesn't take much to surpass that low bar. 

Bale is talented,  but his voice and acting when dressed as the Bat made me laugh non stop.   Absolutely terrible acting on his part.   

I have not watched anything with Affleck as Batman so I could not compare,   Keaton I found to be better.

Affleck to me is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne hands down.  Wasn't a big fan of Bale.  He was a good Bruce Wayne but not a good Batman.

As for Wonder Woman.  I enjoyed the movie except for the bad guy.  They don't need to turn every god or super powerful bad guy into a behemoth of a character.  Ares did not need to be a CGI giant.  Just took me right out of the movie at the end.  Turned what could have been a good movie, into a meh one.

I really don't get fanboys getting upset and butthurt over inaccuracies in a movie adaptation. It's gotta be challenging as hell, if not impossible. to get everything exactly spot on from the comics.

I saw Justice League last night and it did exactly what I expected of it: to entertain for a couple of hours with superheroes vs. a common foe battling it out in epic fashion with amazing special effects and mind-blowing visuals. The story didn't flow well (much in the same way as Batman v. Superman) - I'm sure content will be added to the video release - but I enjoyed it all the same. It didn't drag, either.

It's a good, fun movie. If you enjoyed the previous DC installments, you'll enjoy this one.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Nolan's Batman trilogy was fantastic.....maybe the last time I've enjoyed DC stuff. I really liked all 3 of those movies and I enjoy the Gotham TV show.....that's about it for me and DC.

If I was DC, I would have based the DC Universe off of *that* Batman's universe.  Throw whatever money you have to at Bale and Nolan.  As it is, didnt Nolan stick around to produce Man of Steel, so he stayed with DC.  Doesnt make sense.  Choosing the vastly inferior Superman film to base the universe on was awful.

Barring that, cast a younger Batman and either skip the origin (since we know it) or recap it in some easy way and go from there.  Im not sure what the reasoning of this aged Batman is other then 1) wanting to catch up to Marvel or 2) wanting to use the Batman characters without establishing them, like Nightwing, Joker and Batgirl.  The new Joker sucks.  Batgirl and Nightwing could either be established in the first wave of Batman films or kick it off with like a 30 year old Batman who's been around for a decade. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Yet you enjoyed the Nolan trilogy which had long periods of boredom and terrible acting by Christian Bale?  

I thought Batman Begins was pretty slow.  Dark Knight Rises had its poor moments too.  The Dark Knight was a masterpiece.  All in all, the trilogy was really good but I agree, Wonder Woman was better than BB and probably comparable to Rises.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

When the bar is set at Arnold saying Time to Chill.... it doesn't take much to surpass that low bar. 

Bale is talented,  but his voice and acting when dressed as the Bat made me laugh non stop.   Absolutely terrible acting on his part.   

I have not watched anything with Affleck as Batman so I could not compare,   Keaton I found to be better.

I agree Keaton was good.  I only disliked that he wasnt physically right for the role.  I didnt believe that this skinny guy was able to throw guys around and have this impressive strength just because he was wearing rubber.  As a physiologically disturbed Bruce Wayne, he was excellent.  His Batman films were definitely 80's films though.

Affleck is really good.  He has the pretty boy charm Bruce Wayne needs and is physically imposing.   Bale is a better actor by far though and made Batman seem REALLY physical in a real world way.  But between the three DC leads currently, Gadot is the best of the three as an actor.

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought Batman Begins was pretty slow.  Dark Knight Rises had its poor moments too.  The Dark Knight was a masterpiece.  All in all, the trilogy was really good but I agree, Wonder Woman was better than BB and probably comparable to Rises.

See, I thought Begins was much better then the other two.  It finally told the Batman story how I wanted to see it.  The Dark Knight was alright to me.  I didn't think it was that great.  And rises was just not good.

16 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I really don't get fanboys getting upset and butthurt over inaccuracies in a movie adaptation. It's gotta be challenging as hell, if not impossible. to get everything exactly spot on from the comics.

I saw Justice League last night and it did exactly what I expected of it: to entertain for a couple of hours with superheroes vs. a common foe battling it out in epic fashion with amazing special effects and mind-blowing visuals. The story didn't flow well (much in the same way as Batman v. Superman) - I'm sure content will be added to the video release - but I enjoyed it all the same. It didn't drag, either.

It's a good, fun movie. If you enjoyed the previous DC installments, you'll enjoy this one.

No one cares about beat for beat.  They care about accuracy of the character's that they love and a good story.  No one wants to see a brooding Superman.  That's not who Superman is.  If you want to make someone brooding, make it Batman.  Or just make up a new story with characters we've never heard of.

Marvel doesn't follow everything exactly, yet they're succeeding because they get decent writers and directors and they have someone in charge who knows how to make a proper plan.  WB/DC is just so all over the place.  There's no plan it seems and they keep changing things every 5 minutes.  It's just a shitshow over there.

6 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

No one cares about beat for beat.  They care about accuracy of the character's that they love and a good story.  No one wants to see a brooding Superman.  That's not who Superman is.  If you want to make someone brooding, make it Batman.  Or just make up a new story with characters we've never heard of.

Marvel doesn't follow everything exactly, yet they're succeeding because they get decent writers and directors and they have someone in charge who knows how to make a proper plan.  WB/DC is just so all over the place.  There's no plan it seems and they keep changing things every 5 minutes.  It's just a shitshow over there.

I agree.  The issue is bringing in directors/producers who say "I have a great new idea for Superman..." Ummm, no.  Superman is Superman.  Can you bring Superman to life in a great way?  Great!  If you need to change him, hit the bricks.

Superman Returns was infinitely better than Man of Steel.

23 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

After watching Thor Ragnarok 2 weeks ago it really dawned on me that Marvel's success heavily revolves around its infusion of comedy into the movies. If you took that out or at least the better delivery of it than DC does for the most part,  I think both Marvel and DC would be pretty even keel. I will admit that Marvel movies seem to have a better flow to them,  but I do think getting a good joke in and there every 15-20 mins alleviates some of the boredom a superhero movie trying to take itself too seriously inevitably causes.  I think DC tries once in awhile to add some humor but it's bland in comparison to the way Marvel executes their jokes

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

After watching Thor Ragnarok 2 weeks ago it really dawned on me that Marvel's success heavily revolves around its infusion of comedy into the movies. If you took that out or at least the better delivery of it than DC does for the most part,  I think both Marvel and DC would be pretty even keel. I will admit that Marvel movies seem to have a better flow to them,  but I do think getting a good joke in and there every 15-20 mins alleviates some of the boredom a superhero movie trying to take itself too seriously inevitably causes.  I think DC tries once in awhile to add some humor but it's bland in comparison to the way Marvel executes their jokes

Yeah I agree.  They made the charm of the characters an important part.  So that translates to humor.  But its really in the charm and chemistry of the cast and the solid writing.  I loved The Dark Knight which was decidedly unfunny but tremendous.  BvS sucked, not just because it was joyless, but because it was convoluted, disjointed and boring.

That trailer looks alright, but I have such low expectations of it. Looks like one of those movies you can turn your brain off for a few hours and just watch a lot of anarchy.  I'm surprised they made this movie amidst movies like Kong, Pacific Rim 2, Godzilla..etc coming out recently and upcoming. If there was a time for this movie I'd have said 10 years ago, but now it'll likely get lost and forgotten pretty quickly

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I agree with you on that. Marvel has definitely done a better job in that regard. I just don't think JL is as bad as some critics (and fanboys) are saying.

8 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

For sure. Post your thoughts after and how it stacks up to other recent DC movies.

Ok. Just watched it and I liked it. Not sure why it got that low of a score from the critics. Just gotta say, I really like Affleck as Batman.

Movie wasn’t perfect but it entertained me all the way through. Story could have been a bit better and the cgi was definitely sub par compared to anything made by Disney. Not a huge fan of how they portrayed Aquaman, and Barry acted more like Wally as far as his humour. But other then that I really enjoyed it. Yes there were plot holes but I didn’t think they were that big. If I’d rate this with Marvel movies, I’d say it was a little below Age of Ultron but higher then Thor 2.  Actually I think I liked it better then Ragnarok as I thought Ragnarok was a little hokey at times.  

I cant say any more as I don’t want to spoil anything. 

On 11/17/2017 at 7:21 AM, Logan007 said:

See, I thought Begins was much better then the other two.  It finally told the Batman story how I wanted to see it.  The Dark Knight was alright to me.  I didn't think it was that great.  And rises was just not good.

I really liked Begins and thought it deserves a better reputation in history. Also really liked Rises...much more than most. Dark Knight, though....that's about as close to a perfect movie as it gets. Both entertaining and critically acclaimed....Ledger's performance took it over the top. Bale, Caine and Freeman were already crazy good...

23 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I'll let you know in a few hours.

I thought BvS was better then Man of Steel.

Yeah but being punched in the face is better than being kicked in the nuts...

I haven't seen wonder woman yet but it strikes me that most of the praise for that movie stems from the fact that it wasn't a steaming pile like the two aforementioned movies. Damning with faint praise if you ask me. I think people really want to like these movies because they feature popular characters. I dunno I'll watch eventually and judge for myself but I really have no high hopes. I thought before watching Suicide Squad well it's no way it can be as bad as people say, in fact some people are defending it... nope worse than cancer, so I don't trust these people to put out anything half assed decent. 

I think part of the reason Marvel has worked is they've done a better job at casting. RDJr works as Stark and I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone who can do it better. Same for Thor, Cpt America, Black Widow and Ruffalo as Hulk (finally got that one right). Kinda like Stewart as Prof X and Jackman as Wolverine. Oh, And Reynolds as Deadpool.

Affleck as Batman is okay, but not a slam dunk. Can't even think of the actor's name playing Superman, that's how memorable he is in the role. Gadot as WW works very well.

Ahh. Got no plans tonight. Maybe I should see JL for something to do.

On 2017-11-18 at 11:08 AM, 17to85 said:

Yeah but being punched in the face is better than being kicked in the nuts...

I haven't seen wonder woman yet but it strikes me that most of the praise for that movie stems from the fact that it wasn't a steaming pile like the two aforementioned movies. Damning with faint praise if you ask me. I think people really want to like these movies because they feature popular characters. I dunno I'll watch eventually and judge for myself but I really have no high hopes. I thought before watching Suicide Squad well it's no way it can be as bad as people say, in fact some people are defending it... nope worse than cancer, so I don't trust these people to put out anything half assed decent. 

Maybe to a degree. Expectations were probably lower.  Gal Gadot is so likeable and such a solid actor that even if everything sucked, she’s still be great. I thought every scene she was in in BvS, she stole

Seeing JLA today...