Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

There was rampant speculation earlier this week that Warners was cancelling the DC Extended Universe due to the below-expected box office of Justice League.  But reportedly that is not the case.  Who knows what they are doing.

Seems like common sense issues with that franchise.  I've whined enough about how they should have built up to JL slower.  Perhaps the most compelling aspect of JL was the

Spoiler

bad Superman

(Do we need spoilers still?)

So I'd have gone with that concept as the main plot of a JL film and the threat that brings all the heroes together.

Spoiler

Have the bad guy (Lex or whomever) resurrect Superman and Batman knows he alone cannot stop him...voila

RE: JL.

One of the most marketable characters in JL is Superman. So, they "kill" him off before JL limit the JL marketing to the other characters that have much less appeal. Geniuses, the lot of them.

Hard core fans will go regardless, but Marvel reached well beyond their traditional fan base by relying on the big name characters.

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

RE: JL.

One of the most marketable characters in JL is Superman. So, they "kill" him off before JL limit the JL marketing to the other characters that have much less appeal. Geniuses, the lot of them.

Hard core fans will go regardless, but Marvel reached well beyond their traditional fan base by relying on the big name characters.

Yup.  That was an odd decision, killing Superman in BvS.  The use of Doomsday in that film was odd too.  The root of DCs issues are creatively.  The films are slickly produced, well casted and well acted (for the most part, notwithstanding the debate over Affleck and the terrible casting of Luthor).  They just had awful creative ideas from the beginning.

Doomsday should have been a far bigger deal.  The Death of Superman (and resurrection) could have been a multi-film arc (especially true if you ever needed to recast the role).  A "bad" Superman should be a film on its own.  And the mystical elements of Steppenwolf and Darkseid should have been saved for when the team was fully established so that those characters (the heroes) carried the film and it wasnt brought down by a hokey villain.

And none of these things are crazy ideas.  Basic common sense.  Its the people at the top of DCEU that need to be changed.  Bringing in Whedon was a good choice but if all he's doing is trying to improve someone else's garbage, its not going to work.  Its going to be hard to truly have Marvel style success now since they cant put the genie back in the bottle and start over.

Snyder's son:

“On a more serious note I did enjoy the movie, although it is clearly not what it could have been due to the meddling of Warner Bros and the forced comedy. The run time was my biggest gripe with the movie, with events that should take a long time over in a flash;$ but still definitely a fun movie to watch, and would recommend it.”

I can imagine he is biased against changes to his dad's vision.  But I cant even imagine JL without the infused comedy and charm.  It would have been like a two hour kick in the nads. 

Also a theory going around.  In the opening credits, a homeless man is shown holding a sign that reads "I tried" just as Whedon's name appears on screen.  The theory goes this was a bit of sarcasm from Whedon saying that he tried to save the film but couldnt.  Surely not true but I thought the "I tried" sign was a bit odd.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There was rampant speculation earlier this week that Warners was cancelling the DC Extended Universe due to the below-expected box office of Justice League.  But reportedly that is not the case.  Who knows what they are doing.

Seems like common sense issues with that franchise.  I've whined enough about how they should have built up to JL slower.  Perhaps the most compelling aspect of JL was the

Hide contents

bad Superman

(Do we need spoilers still?)

So I'd have gone with that concept as the main plot of a JL film and the threat that brings all the heroes together.

Hide contents

Have the bad guy (Lex or whomever) resurrect Superman and Batman knows he alone cannot stop him...voila

You thought Supes was bad in JL?  I thought that was the best iteration of him from the DCEU.  That's the first time in the DCEU that I saw an actual Superman.

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

You thought Supes was bad in JL?  I thought that was the best iteration of him from the DCEU.  That's the first time in the DCEU that I saw an actual Superman.

No I said it was the most compelling part. The entire film should have been his resurrection and struggle to find his true identity while fighting the other heroes. 

On 11/24/2017 at 5:44 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

No I said it was the most compelling part. The entire film should have been his resurrection and struggle to find his true identity while fighting the other heroes. 

OH lol..  I thought you meant he was bad.  I was totally forgetting about when he came out and was going nutso.  Sorry.

that Avengers trailer looks insane. When Panther gives the speech about batten down the hatches, get the defenses ready....AND GET THIS MAN A SHIELD..... I almost started clapping. This trailer, alone, is better than anything DC has done since Dark Knight Rises...

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that Avengers trailer looks insane. When Panther gives the speech about batten down the hatches, get the defenses ready....AND GET THIS MAN A SHIELD..... I almost started clapping. This trailer, alone, is better than anything DC has done since Dark Knight Rises...

Was going to say, as much as I enjoyed JL, THIS is how JL should have felt.  It just felt too small and not really epic.  Just felt like no one was in any real danger.

Edited by Logan007

5 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Was going to say, as much as I enjoyed JL, THIS is how JL should have felt.  It just felt too small and not really epic.  Just felt like no one was in any real danger.

I feel like a lot of that is just that nobody gives a **** about those characters. The thing about Marvel is we CARE about these characters....I mean, bearded Cap looking like he's been living as a hermit since Civil War? "Tell me more....*popcorn*..."

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

Thanks for that.

45 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Shut up and take my money marvel. Just hook it right into my veins. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thanks for that.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Shut up and take my money marvel. Just hook it right into my veins. 

Part of it is we know all the Marvel characters.  We have an emotional attachment to them.  And they've slowly built to this.  Steppenwolf's CGI looked better than Thanos but we accept Thanos because its been built to.

DC threw all these characters together and no one cares.  That's the big difference.

28 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Part of it is we know all the Marvel characters.  We have an emotional attachment to them.  And they've slowly built to this.  Steppenwolf's CGI looked better than Thanos but we accept Thanos because its been built to.

DC threw all these characters together and no one cares.  That's the big difference.

Really, I thought Thanos looked better.  I'll check both trailers side by side and see later.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess this is back on. Sure, uniting the Marvel universe would be nice (I’d reboot X-Men) could this also get the traditional fox fanfare back to the beginning of Star Wars? Lol

Are they not on the 2nd reboot still or do we call it 3rd reboot with Dark Phoenix next year.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess this is back on. Sure, uniting the Marvel universe would be nice (I’d reboot X-Men) could this also get the traditional fox fanfare back to the beginning of Star Wars? Lol

I believe they only want the Marvel and Star Wars stuff.  They don't want the TV deal or anything like that.

36 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Technically it's never been rebooted.  They only changed the timeline with the Days of Future Past.

Thats true.

I havent given it a lot of thought, but if I was Disney, I'd utilize the Fox properties to sort of recharge the MCU.  Reboot X-Men so you can cast a new Wolverine and start over.  Then the question of "where have the X-men been" doesnt need to be answered.  They, along with the Fantastic Four can be "new" heroes to the MCU in their next phase.

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats true.

I havent given it a lot of thought, but if I was Disney, I'd utilize the Fox properties to sort of recharge the MCU.  Reboot X-Men so you can cast a new Wolverine and start over.  Then the question of "where have the X-men been" doesnt need to be answered.  They, along with the Fantastic Four can be "new" heroes to the MCU in their next phase.

I kinda like this idea. I think once the 4th and final Avengers movie is done, they should do a whole new thing....some actors will have aged out of the role (RDJ) and some might just want to do other stuff, so why not go in a mostly-new direction featuring players yet-to-be-seen like X-Men and others.....that could be fun.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

More flashy sure, better idk. Thanos in this trailer looks great. Some of the previous cgi, yeah not terribly good. 

Its funny too, nolans batman had DC miles out in front of marvel. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I kinda like this idea. I think once the 4th and final Avengers movie is done, they should do a whole new thing....some actors will have aged out of the role (RDJ) and some might just want to do other stuff, so why not go in a mostly-new direction featuring players yet-to-be-seen like X-Men and others.....that could be fun.

I imagine they will. And I bet they have the full rights to all MCU properties sooner rather then later. 

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

More flashy sure, better idk. Thanos in this trailer looks great. Some of the previous cgi, yeah not terribly good. 

Its funny too, nolans batman had DC miles out in front of marvel. 

I imagine they will. And I bet they have the full rights to all MCU properties sooner rather then later. 

It really did.....it's honestly incredible how DC was able to **** this up so badly.