Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

Just now, Noeller said:

It really did.....it's honestly incredible how DC was able to **** this up so badly.

Not to mention the 90s batmans. At one point if you listed the top 5 comic book movies ever, theyd all be batman movies. Even the cartoons, marvel had more but batman was the peak of those as well. Smallville had a large fan following (though it lost me quickly) the comics today arent even comparable dc owns the rags. They really pooped the bed and need to make drastic changes. 

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Not to mention the 90s batmans. At one point if you listed the top 5 comic book movies ever, theyd all be batman movies. Even the cartoons, marvel had more but batman was the peak of those as well. Smallville had a large fan following (though it lost me quickly) the comics today arent even comparable dc owns the rags. They really pooped the bed and need to make drastic changes. 

That’s true. Their decision to hand Snyder they keys to the kingdom and thus base the DC universe on the terrible Man of Steal was bad idea number one. 

Aging Batman and casting an actor that almost immediately had his commitment to the role questioned was bad idea number two. 

Catching up to Avengers by putting the JL together without properly building it up and giving the characters time to breath was bad idea number three. 

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That’s true. Their decision to hand Snyder they keys to the kingdom and thus base the DC universe on the terrible Man of Steal was bad idea number one. 

Aging Batman and casting an actor that almost immediately had his commitment to the role questioned was bad idea number two. 

Catching up to Avengers by putting the JL together without properly building it up and giving the characters time to breath was bad idea number three. 

No kidding. When marvel struck gold with iron man, they took a step back and started developing great stories to work with iron man. Its not even that the first wave of supporting movies are great. Maybe only iron man is the best in its own series.  But they made them fun, and committed to a supporting story. If dc had taken its time and done a momoa  aqua man, the WW movie, cyborg, etc it would have been way better. But the whole dccu is soo over rushed, over bloated, and still under developed its just sad. Its like a 1000$ a plate meal, in a fancy setting, with half great half frozen ingredients executed with the attention to detail and precision of macdonalds, served half raw. 

I love the dc universe. Imo batman is the best hero, with the best stories. Hands down. At some point DC has to stop wiping their @$$ with the material and making transformers quality movies. 

46 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

About the only thing that could revive interest in the current Trek film franchise would be someone like QT driving it. Good for him. 

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

About the only thing that could revive interest in the current Trek film franchise would be someone like QT driving it. Good for him. 

You think they would let him direct a non R rated film?  Because I can't see JJ letting Star Trek go to the R side.

Edit: a word...I need to learn to spell.

Edited by Logan007

30 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

You think they would let him direct a none R rated film?  Because I can't see JJ letting Star Trek go to the R side.

QT is interested enough that he's taking the time to pitch a story and sit in a room with other writers.  If he's a fan, he might do it.  It would never be R rated.  QT is a big fan of the episodes "City On The Edge Of Forever" and "Yesterdays Enterprise".  So its possible its along those lines.  JJ already announced just before Beyond came out that he had Chris Hemsworth attached to a sequel reprising George Kirk.  The easy answer is some sort of time travel story where George survives but maybe James Kirk has to fix things and in doing so, let his father die.

I love QT though not all his films.  If someone else wrote a Trek film and I heard QT did a punch up, I'd be super excited (like what he did for Crimson Tide).  This sounds sort of like that in the sense QT has an idea but JJ is assembling other writers to make it happen.  It would vastly improve the dialogue which was an issue on the previous Trek films.  Paramount is broke though so who knows.  They need to bring the budget way down.  QT can do that too.

I hadnt heard of this but it sounds intriguing:

Bohemian Rhapsody is an upcoming 2018 British-American biographical drama film written by Anthony McCarten.[3] It focuses on a 15-year period from the formation of Queen and lead singer Freddie Mercury up to their performance at Live Aid in 1985, six years before Mercury's death. The film stars Rami Malek, Ben Hardy, Gwilym Lee, Joseph Mazzello, Allen Leech, and Lucy Boynton. Queen guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor are serving as the film's music producers.

Robert De Niro is a producer as well.  Bryan Singer was just canned as director though.

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Paramount is pretty broke. So while it’s exciting and Jj and QT have stroke, I doubt they will green light until they see what it will cost.  If they allow it to be R rated I can only imagine it comes with a much reduced budget. 

Curious if this had anything to do with QT needing a new studio and if Paramount are leveraging this to entice him. 

5 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Old news? Thought Reeves was setting it before MoS.

Is he?  I think its in development hell with director and script changes. 

The whole basis for the problems with DC were choosing to base it on the Man of Steel universe, aging Batman and forcing the Justice League together.  And Im not really sure they undo all of that because they're all so linked together, without doing something crazy like having Flash change the timeline.

18 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Sounds like that Star Trek Universe is warp speeding into the dirt.  I can just imagine what QT will come up with.  I mean, I'm not a big fan of his, but I'm interested in seeing his take on it.  I just think the JJ ST is sinking.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. But reportedly they will recast Batman for the stand alone Batman film but keep Affleck or the Flash film. Ugh. 

They really seem to be missing the point. 

Yay...there goes DC...overreacting again.  Seriously, just take what you did with Justice League and run with it.  Stop restructuring.

I guess I'm a minority, but Justice League has so far been my favorite of the DCEU.  I hope they do an ultimate cut just so I can see a longer version of it because it just felt too short for me.  I always want more.

2 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Sounds like that Star Trek Universe is warp speeding into the dirt.  I can just imagine what QT will come up with.  I mean, I'm not a big fan of his, but I'm interested in seeing his take on it.  I just think the JJ ST is sinking.

There were lots of issues.  I cant remember them all and too busy to loop up but there was some speculation about how Bad Robot used the money and a bad feeling of how much JJ took off the top of what amounted to under-performing films.  But I believe Paramount re-upped with Bad robot so they couldn't be that upset.  They have other series' with him.

I think part of the problem was JJ's loyalty to his pals.  Orci was all wrong for Star Trek, at least as the creative driver.  And the studio didnt provide enough oversight to JJ.  To me, it sounds like the same thing could happen here except its JJ over-seeing QT.  At least QT is a Trek fan.

Star Trek has been a cash cow for Paramount so they will never really abandon it.  My hope was Discovery would be successful enough that Paramount would work with CBS to produce the next film (keeping it in the prime universe and uniting the film and tv divisions).

I like most of QT's work and what he does best is what Star Trek needs - characters, drama, tension, smart dialogue, even a sense of nostalgia.  So Im more excited for this than the usual Bad Robot dreck.  And the writers they are looking at to craft the screenplay all seem much better than anyone who worked on the previous films.

Bow get Shatner and Stewart involved!

3 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Yay...there goes DC...overreacting again.  Seriously, just take what you did with Justice League and run with it.  Stop restructuring.

I guess I'm a minority, but Justice League has so far been my favorite of the DCEU.  I hope they do an ultimate cut just so I can see a longer version of it because it just felt too short for me.  I always want more.

I liked Justice League.  But it still had issues.  But DC's reaction doesnt correct any of that, in my opinion.  And I dont think they can really do anything that will reset their universe to the extent it can ever compete with Marvel.  Although getting away from a Justice League sequel probably would help.  If they are willing to go younger with The Batman, then thats cool...tell those stories (Nightwing, Jason Todd etc) and you could have Wonder Woman in the film too, though it wouldn't explain how they "met" in BvS. 

Batman in Flash makes sense too but the real story element there, I think, is Bruce's relationship with Barry in the shadow of his failed relationships with Grayson and Todd.  But I bet they wont go there at all.