Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

wasnt ali g / borat et al connecting to playing freddy mercury? iirc queen wanted it to be a movie about queen and not a biopic of freddy mercury and kept blocking the films from being made.

Watch ready player one last night. As an avid fan of the book, and despite being anal as all hell i very much enjoyed it. They stray from the path a considerable amount with the movie. Mostly with the games, specific references, and one or two sub plots. But If I still enjoyed it (and i very much did) none book fans and none anal people are probably loving it. More teen and older version of wreck it ralph.  

yeah when i heard they cut out the OKC part i was like well thats not good.

53mil seems a bit underwhelming but its 3x overseas.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

27 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

yeah when i heard they cut out the OKC part i was like well thats not good.

53mil seems a bit underwhelming but its 3x overseas.

Yeah they cut out soo much of the set up, and parzival  beating gates finding the first gate it softened things up a bit. Oh a portal opened up one day and we have a race now. A lot of the 80s type references in games moves music etc took a hit. Which is surprising because thats soo in fashion these days. I can get shifting some of his story around to other characters, and to making them more of a group though. 

over seas is always the big money in movies. Spielberg is pretty much a licence to print money any way. 

Interesting.  Doing Jason Todd makes sense but again if you’re going to do a story from the past why did you cast an older actor to play Batman in the first place?   It’s not that big a deal since it wouldn’t be *that* much in the past but why not tell the stories in a linear pattern rather then having a new Batman and then going back in time  

15 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Interesting.  Doing Jason Todd makes sense but again if you’re going to do a story from the past why did you cast an older actor to play Batman in the first place?   It’s not that big a deal since it wouldn’t be *that* much in the past but why not tell the stories in a linear pattern rather then having a new Batman and then going back in time  

Exactly.  They should have started with WW, then go from there to Batman, Superman, etc...

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

Exactly.  They should have started with WW, then go from there to Batman, Superman, etc...

Absolutely!!  So easy since she doesnt age.  She can be there for everything.  Of course, the idea that the female hero would be the best part of the DC franchise would have been laughed out of WB's boardroom a couple years ago.

A Sam Raimi-produced reboot of The Grudge Japanese horror franchise is preparing to shoot in Winnipeg.
John Cho (Star Trek; Harold and Kumar go to White Castle), Mexican actor Demian Bichir (The Hateful Eight, Alien Covenant) and English actress Andrea Riseborough (Battle of the Sexes, The Death of Stalin) are all attached to the project, according to Variety.

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

A Sam Raimi-produced reboot of The Grudge Japanese horror franchise is preparing to shoot in Winnipeg.
John Cho (Star Trek; Harold and Kumar go to White Castle), Mexican actor Demian Bichir (The Hateful Eight, Alien Covenant) and English actress Andrea Riseborough (Battle of the Sexes, The Death of Stalin) are all attached to the project, according to Variety.

I received a call about this actually about one of their shooting locations.  Should be shooting in June.

8 hours ago, Logan007 said:

OOoooo...my interest has now been piqued.

My expectations for star wars movies is low right now. but ill still see it for sure. 

Im off trailers now. They just show way too much. I used to watch the first half of trailers but even that doesnt work. 

• 2 weeks later...

New Avengers opening this week. I'm so excited. I'm going Saturday. 

Just posted this in the TV Thread...

...the last two nights to watch Spiderman: Homecoming. I still hadn't seen it and I'm going to Avengers on Saturday. 

Also re-watching Guardians of the Galaxy I & II. Love those movies. Watched Civil War last month. 

I couldn't finish Spiderman because the HBO app wasn't working last night but I've been relatively pleased. It's a bit silly but they tend to do that with Spidey films. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

New Avengers opening this week. I'm so excited. I'm going Saturday. 

Just posted this in the TV Thread...

...the last two nights to watch Spiderman: Homecoming. I still hadn't seen it and I'm going to Avengers on Saturday. 

Also re-watching Guardians of the Galaxy I & II. Love those movies. Watched Civil War last month. 

I couldn't finish Spiderman because the HBO app wasn't working last night but I've been relatively pleased. It's a bit silly but they tend to do that with Spidey films. 

I liked it a lot.  I thought the youth and humor was more touching and Tom Holland is the best Spider Man.  My only complaint was the upgraded suit.  Just a creative difference but what I like about Spider Man is that he's a normal kid with abnormal powers trying to figure out his place in the world but also brilliant enough to make some of the things he needs.  Having a high tech suit took some of that away for me.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I liked it a lot.  I thought the youth and humor was more touching and Tom Holland is the best Spider Man.  My only complaint was the upgraded suit.  Just a creative difference but what I like about Spider Man is that he's a normal kid with abnormal powers trying to figure out his place in the world but also brilliant enough to make some of the things he needs.  Having a high tech suit took some of that away for me.

I agree but it's certainly been the trend lately - to tie Spider Man to Shield and Tony Stark to give him a super-suit (and lots of 'cool' partners). It's the MCU.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was thinking it looked awful but Tom hardy might save it. 

Yeah, I should have said it looked meh.  I was trying to be hopeful, but I doubt it will be any good.  Sony is just trying too hard with their movies.  Amy Pascal is just a terrible producer.

41 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Yeah, I should have said it looked meh.  I was trying to be hopeful, but I doubt it will be any good.  Sony is just trying too hard with their movies.  Amy Pascal is just a terrible producer.

I dont see how you do it with Spiderman.  Even if he makes a cameo, why not make Venom a Spiderman character and then spin him off.  Especially with the Avengers going into space, you could easily have the alien symbiont.  Seems like Sony wanting to take advantage of Marvel stepping in and saving one of their characters.  Let Marvel produce ALL Sony's marvel character films and be happy they're good.

^^^^ SO looking forward to the Freddie Mercury film!

Things are spinning fast with Star Trek. with reports that Paramount has tapped SJ Clarkson to direct the next film.  She'd be the first female director of a Trek movie.  She does mostly TV work so its an interesting choice. 

Also, the next film looks to be the one JJ announced during the Beyond premiere with Chris Hemsworth back as George Kirk.  But Paramount is also in the script stage for another Trek film based on a Tarantino story. 

Its GOOD news if Paramount actually has two films in development because they waited too long between films when they re-launched Trek in 2009.  Churn them out quickly.  And it might make for a more cohesive story if Trek 4 ties into Trek 5 better than in the past.

Interesting side note is, after STID, writer Bob Orci was tapped with writing and directing Trek 3.  He wrote a story with JD Payne and Patrick McKay that would include Shatner & Nimoy and was something like, Kirk could fix things OR have everything he wanted...something like that, sacrifice etc.  Paramount rejected the script and Orci submitted a second one.  It was also rejected and he was fired (and then went on a tirade on a Star Trek fan forum.

So this idea of Hemsworth returning sort of sounds like it could have similar themes.  And its being written by...Payne & McKay.  So basically, they kept those guys and ditched Orci.  I wonder if they will avoid any similarities to Orci ideas or if he might end up with a credit. 

When Simon Pegg & Doug Yung were brought in to clean up after Orci's departure and wrote Beyond, they claimed Paramount would not let them see or know anything about Orci's rejected stories.  But Orci claimed some ideas DID make it into Beyond (he seemed annoyed by this as he should).

Star Trek politics.  lol

Keep in mind, Discovery was prevented from doing anything until six months after Beyond was released.  No word on if there are any other contractual considerations between Paramount and CBS as far as their two properties.  If the Viacom merger goes through, Star Trek will finally be back under one roof (Currently, Paramount owns the movie side and CBS owns the TV side, hence no cohesive strategy between the two).