Pac vs Mayweather

I think it would have been more one-sided if they had fought 5-6 years ago.  Pacquiao's team was banking on Mayweather being too old to keep moving like that for 12 rounds last night, I'm not sure what they're strategy would have been back then.

I think it would have been more one-sided if they had fought 5-6 years ago.  Pacquiao's team was banking on Mayweather being too old to keep moving like that for 12 rounds last night, I'm not sure what they're strategy would have been back then.

Mayweather's group were the ones dragging their feet on this. Manny had a lot more power back then than he does now. The reason for that power was under suspicion, which I think had a lot to do with Mayweather not really wanting to fight him. He hasn't knocked anybody out in years, which has only fueled speculation that he used to be juicing.

Mayweather also had more speed back then, so I think things would have more or less stayed the same, except the chance of Manny landing a monster shot would have been greater.

Mayweather is such a boring fighter. I get he's great at what he does, and it's hard to say no one wants to see it with the ppv draws he gets, but if boxing is ever going to be relevant again there's gonna have to be some fighters that are exciting to watch.

Other than Mayweather's retirement fight, I can't think of any fight that will draw mainstream attention for boxing again.

Mayweather is such a boring fighter. I get he's great at what he does, and it's hard to say no one wants to see it with the ppv draws he gets, but if boxing is ever going to be relevant again there's gonna have to be some fighters that are exciting to watch.

Other than Mayweather's retirement fight, I can't think of any fight that will draw mainstream attention for boxing

Canelo who lost to mayweather at 22 is the next big thing. Dont think team money would fight him again. He just boxed this weekend in an amazing 3 round fight, more action in a round than may vs pac. Check out the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LehQX1bbGQk#t=12

The fight is really an amazing study in how many people "follow" the crowd because they want to belong.  The sheer volume of people are arent boxing fans that bought the PPV or went out and watched it is really stunning.  It became an "event" not to be missed where you had to see it if you were "cool". 

I've bought a couple of boxing PPV's in my life but not a big fan by any means.  I had friends whom I never knew even watched a match before, asking me if I was going to see it.  I was intrigued by the hype and interested in the outcome but Mayweather is pretty distasteful.  Didnt watch it.  Caught the details on twitter for free.

Now they are both being sued by various people.  It will be a good test case on how much health information they are obligated to release prior to the fight.

Well I think most of the followers were simply Asian people wanting to fit in. A whole bunch of non sports asian people that I worked with suddenly became interested in boxing and then had no clue what was going on during the fight.

Hence the lame hugging excuses.

The whole law suit things are ridiculous. Nearly every fighter in all combat sports go into the fights hurt.

Well I think most of the followers were simply Asian people wanting to fit in. A whole bunch of non sports asian people that I worked with suddenly became interested in boxing and then had no clue what was going on during the fight.

The whole law suit things are ridiculous. Nearly every fighter in all combat sports go into the fights hurt.

Well yes but these lawsuits are interesting because it really does impact the odds which ofcourse impacts money and viewership.  Im too lazy to look up details but one of the states where a lawsuit was filed has laws about holding back important information.  It's essentially fraud.  But you're right in the sense that for this fight, it had a massive impact but if anyone actually wins a lawsuit, how does that impact "everyday" sports?  No more "Upper body" injury stuff during the playoffs?

The lawsuits will go nowhere.  They'll make lawyers richer and that's about it.  There's a good blog from a lawyer in BC about combat sports law you can read about it.

http://combatsportslaw.com/2015/05/05/proving-fraud-in-nevada-following-mayweather-pacquiao-record-ppv-bout/

In short, based on his legal opinion, they will have a tough time winning based on the fact the plaintiffs will have to prove that they would have changed their plans if they had known about the injury (how do you prove something that didn't happen?) and that there is no law that states the fighters have to make their injuries known to anyone other than the commission.  I don't know the Nevada medical privacy laws but the NSAC may not have been able to release that info with out Pacquiao's consent, even if they were aware of it.

That being said, the lawsuits referenced in the article are in Nevada, every state has different laws so maybe they've got better luck elsewhere.

It was very easy to tell during the fight who actually follows boxing (and had seen Mayweather fight before) and who hadn't.  Floyd didn't do anything in that fight that he hadn't done many times before.

Other than Mayweather's retirement fight, I can't think of any fight that will draw mainstream attention for boxing

Canelo who lost to mayweather at 22 is the next big thing. Dont think team money would fight him again. He just boxed this weekend in an amazing 3 round fight, more action in a round than may vs pac. Check out the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LehQX1bbGQk#t=12

Yeah, I know who he is. I follow boxing casually, and actually saw his fight with Mayweather. It's too bad he couldn't have had a few more fights before that much of a step up in opponent. His fight with Kirkland was a million times more exciting than Mayweather-Pac. The Russian guy, GGG, is pretty good too. Those are about the only current names I pay any attention to now. I'd love to see Mayweather fight GGG, but I'm not sure he'd want to go up another weight class.

I think Alvarez will be hugely popular with Mexican fight fans, but I don't think he'll ever reach the Pac or Mayweather level of popularity with mainstream NA audiences.

The lawsuits will go nowhere.  They'll make lawyers richer and that's about it.  There's a good blog from a lawyer in BC about combat sports law you can read about it.

http://combatsportslaw.com/2015/05/05/proving-fraud-in-nevada-following-mayweather-pacquiao-record-ppv-bout/

In short, based on his legal opinion, they will have a tough time winning based on the fact the plaintiffs will have to prove that they would have changed their plans if they had known about the injury (how do you prove something that didn't happen?) and that there is no law that states the fighters have to make their injuries known to anyone other than the commission.  I don't know the Nevada medical privacy laws but the NSAC may not have been able to release that info with out Pacquiao's consent, even if they were aware of it.

That being said, the lawsuits referenced in the article are in Nevada, every state has different laws so maybe they've got better luck elsewhere.

Injuries would surely have changed the odds, if not the bets people were making.  Complicating matters is that Pac checked off "no" on the pre-fight questionnaire asking if he had any injuries.

This week's Golovkin vs Monroe Jr. bout should be a good one. GGG is fighting not even 90 days since his last title defense (that went 11 rounds) and Monroe Jr. is in his first 12 round bout of his career. 

Looking forward to it. 

GGG whooped Munroe pretty easily tonight. He wants Canello next (which would be a fun fight to watch). If Mayweather is serious about only having one fight left in him, I can't see him fighting someone as dangerous as GGG.