The Jets' RFA's after this year.

Ducky

The first five on the list of 2016 RFAs are the ones I want to discuss.

Trouba

Scheifele

Lowry

Hutchinson

Armia

Cormier

Lipon

Kichton

Brassard

MacWilliam

Melchiori

Trouba is the most important player to get re-signed. Barring a tragic year, he should forego the bridge contract and go straight to 6m per for 8 years. I would do 5.25m per for 8 years if he re-signed today.

Scheifele, if his development continues on pace, today is worth about 3.2m a year and should get 3.8m after this season.

Lowry, if his development continues on pace, should get 2.5 on a bridge contract and if he re-signed today, about 2.3.

If Hutch has a similar or bit better season than last year, he should get about 1.6m per.

Armia's next contract depends a LOT on this year. If he cracks the lineup and puts up 25-30 points on the 3rd line, I would offer him 1.75m per.

Most of the rest of the list REALLY depends on how they play this year and management's plans for them.

TROUBA = 7 X 5.5 MILLION

SCHEIF = 8 X 4.5 MILLION

HUTCH = Dunno. Depends on his year big time.

LOWRY = Bridge deal. So 2 x 2.5

ARMIA = Dunno. No comment. Need to see him play first. If does nothing this year I'd give him a 2 way 1 year deal.

The rest besides Cormier MacWilliam and Melchiori will get AHL deals. Those 3 tho, well it's time to **** or get off the pot really.

If I'm Trouba, I play my ass off and go for a Subban contract... $8 million for 7 years

Scheifele - at best 4.5 for five years, at worst 6 for six years

Lowry - $4.5 for 4 years

Hutch - gone

Armia- ???

Scheif a 60 point center paid as much as a 25 point one? Try again really. Trouba gonna have to put up way more points if he wants 8 million. He's good but not one of the best In the league

If I'm Trouba, I play my ass off and go for a Subban contract... $8 million for 7 years

Scheifele - at best 4.5 for five years, at worst 6 for six years

Lowry - $4.5 for 4 years

Hutch - gone

Armia- ???

Scheif a 60 point center paid as much as a 25 point one? Try again really. Trouba gonna have to put up way more points if he wants 8 million. He's good but not one of the best In the league

Whoa, Mr. Hockey has spoken!  And its a 50pt centre paid as much as a 40pt... that's why it says 'at best'

Trouba will be one of the best... doubt you can pin him down to a bridge contract

Lol. I'm not Mr Hockey that's for sure, that's Gordie Howe, I just think... It's pretty obvious that Scheifele is our future #1 center and right now he's the #2 center, he's improving every year, he's good in his own zone and he puts up points, a guy like that will not be paid the same as a 3rd line center, I like Lowry, i like him lots, i just think he's an ideal 3rd line center and or winger for that matter, I see a future 3rd line of Lowry on the wing with a guy like Harkins up the middle, strong defensive minded 3rd line... Also, Scheif has gotten better every year, This will be Lowrys second, at least with the big club ... I think if i was a betting man, i'd bet Scheif and Trouba both get long term deals and Lowry, depending on how he does this year, will get a bridge deal, if he improves lots like Scheif has, well, maybe he gets a long term deal too. But, no way in no universe will Lowry and Scheif be paid anywhere close to the same..

Scheifs gonna get a long term deal... like Couts did with Philly, Lowry might also but it won't be for as much cash as Scheif gets that's for sure. 

I think Scheif gets a bridge as does Lowry and Trouba gets signed for as many years as they can talk him into. No way in hell I sign that cnotract if I am Scheifele. If he is their 1C, he should get more than 4.5m per.....after his bridge deal. He'll command 6+ if his development continues on pace. Again, after his bridge deal.

Hutch will get a raise unless his game falls to pieces. I think we lose Hutch to the expansion draft.

Armia's next contract is up to him. He needs to show management he is ready or at least gets called up around the ASB or before.

I would lock up Trouba to 8 years. He is an UFA after a 7 year contract anyway so why not get the extra year? If he continues to improve this year while pulling that ball around his ankle (Stuart), he will deserve 48m over 8 years.

Flyers got Couturier at 6 years for 26 million...  I'm sure that's what Chevy will try for

I did price Lowry high, maybe they get him at a bridge for 2.5-3 million...  or maybe Chevy realizes that 6'5 possession centerman doesn't come around every day...  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing the cap stays around where it is and they really can't afford Buff. The Jets are going to see a wee bit of a salary cap issue after this season. I originally thought they could afford 13-14 a year on both Buff and Ladd and give Trouba a huge raise and a decent one to both Lowry and Scheif and Hutch. When you sit down with  a calculator, it doesn't look like they can do it. It'll put them too near the cap and I don't think True North is ready to spend to the cap yet. In the 2018, 2019 and 2020 season, this team looks like it could be a force to reckon with. They could get around it for a few years by signing Trouba to a bridge deal but I would lock Trouba up for 8 years if he would sign it. I'd easily give him 48m for 8 years.

Little 4.7

Wheeler 5.6

Stafford 4.35

Perrault 3

Burmi 1.55

Thorbs 1.2

Enstrom 5.75

Myers 5.5

Stuart 2.625

Postma .8875

Chiarot .85

Pavs 3.9

This is about 40m for 1 goalie, 5 D men and 6 forwards.

I will assume the following

Troubs 5.9

Scheif 3.9

Lowry 2.5

Hutch 1.5

Ladd 6.25

Morrissey 1.39

Petan .863

Ehlers 1.39

Copp .925

Armia 1.5

This is about 66.1m without Buff.

71 - 66.1 = 4.9m

This is 7 D men, 2 goalies and 14 forwards.

Armia might not get 1.5 and I might be a bit off on Morrissey's and Ehlers' contracts. Helle might play instead of Hutch and that would bring it down by .65m but I don't think I am far enough off to be unreasonable. If Buff signs for 6m per year, we are still OVER the cap by 1.1m.

The more I crunch the numbers, the more I see they cannot afford to re-sign Buff and Ladd.