Manitoba Moose

Goalie

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The third line is not a checking line.  At least it shouldn't be.  I see no issue with a third line consisting of Connor - Roslovic - Armia.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler

Perreault - Little - Ehlers

Connor - Roslovic - Armia

Copp - Lowry - Dano

Thats a solid forward line up.  Probably losing Armia or Dano though.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The third line is not a checking line.  At least it shouldn't be.  I see no issue with a third line consisting of Connor - Roslovic - Armia.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler

Perreault - Little - Ehlers

Connor - Roslovic - Armia

Copp - Lowry - Dano

Only way thats your line up is if Myers is traded before the expansion draft. I'd flip Lowry with Roslo. Kinda want Roslo on the RW too.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

28 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The third line is not a checking line.  At least it shouldn't be.

Not a checking line, but often a shut-down line to match up against the best of other teams.  It doesn't specifically have to be the third line, but one of your top three lines needs to be capable of doing it.  You don't want to leave that to your 4th line and have them playing 18 minutes a game.

Looking over the potential roster for next year it shouldn't be too difficult to pull the 3 best 2-way players out of the top nine and task them with that role.

Then again, outside of the playoffs (oh the memories), the Jets have never put any noticeable attention into matching lines.

29 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Not a checking line, but often a shut-down line to match up against the best of other teams.  It doesn't specifically have to be the third line, but one of your top three lines needs to be capable of doing it.  You don't want to leave that to your 4th line and have them playing 18 minutes a game.

Looking over the potential roster for next year it shouldn't be too difficult to pull the 3 best 2-way players out of the top nine and task them with that role.

Then again, outside of the playoffs (oh the memories), the Jets have never put any noticeable attention into matching lines.

Little, Perreault and Ehlers can be a shutdown line, I believe.  Little and Perreault are both responsible defensively and Ehlers is coming along.  He had a wonderful backcheck at one point last night.

23 hours ago, Atomic said:

Little, Perreault and Ehlers can be a shutdown line, I believe.  Little and Perreault are both responsible defensively and Ehlers is coming along.  He had a wonderful backcheck at one point last night.

Those are the same 3 names that popped into my head.

That said, the best shutdown lines usually pound and grind the other teams' top line.  Ehlers, Little and Perreault average 5'11" and 184 lbs.  Lowry, Matthias and Armia average 6'4" and 215 lbs.  Food for thought.

18 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Those are the same 3 names that popped into my head.

That said, the best shutdown lines usually pound and grind the other teams' top line.  Ehlers, Little and Perreault average 5'11" and 184 lbs.  Lowry, Matthias and Armia average 6'4" and 215 lbs.  Food for thought.

hmm I'm not so sure that's true.  Sounds nice, but not sure it's true.  Some of the best defensive forwards in the league don't do it with size but with relentless pursuit and smart play.  Toews, Bergeron, etc.

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Luke Green on an ATO with the Moose!!

Is Poolman's season over yet?

Here's the problem as I understand it.  If they sign Poolman and he plays a couple of games, they've burned a year of his ELC.  Maybe thats part of the negotiations in signing these players, is they effectively get one less ELC year (one year closer to cashing in).

By the way, here is the Elite Prospects summary of Luke Green:

Right Handed

6'0", 187 lbs

An excellent offensive defenceman whose killer instincts in the offensive zone allow him to materialize scoring chances. Very shifty skater who is highly mobile. Good puckhandling ability and puck control; makes quick decisions with the puck in traffic and under pressure. Reliable defensively, but is much more effective when utilizing his offensive tools at the other end of the ice. All-in-all, a smart, smooth-skating defenceman who can play in most situations and excel in an offensive position. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

Also, Jets got him falling, in the 3rd round.  Early on he was a potential first round pick and mock drafts had him mid 2nd round.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Here's the problem as I understand it.  If they sign Poolman and he plays a couple of games, they've burned a year of his ELC.  Maybe thats part of the negotiations in signing these players, is they effectively get one less ELC year (one year closer to cashing in).

They did this for Copp.  

In the grand scheme of things, with the goofy rules for the NCAA players, you can use this as a carrot to get them to sign with your team rather than having them go to the market, it is a small price to pay.

Get some cash in the players pocket with a signing bonus, let them pull in a salary for a few months

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That's the only bargaining chip the Jets have is signing him now to burn a year of ELC...  

Looks like UND season is still going though

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/9/7/12815208/winnipeg-jets-2016-top-25-under-25-25-luke-green

Chevy snags another faller. Mocked as a mid-second round pick, the Jets snagged the offensive dynamo defenseman out of Saint John, Luke Green. Despite being the former 1st overall pick in the QMJHL draft, his stock isn't as high as it once was, but the talent is still definitely there. 

AIH Author's Thoughts:

"Luke's skating is noteworthy. He moves well and gains speed quickly - especially when moving forward. He also scores at a decent clip. He has the look of a new age puck mover, but he's still very raw." - Truck

"Green was a pleasant suprise to have fallen to where he did this past summer, but there's likely a reason. In fact, I saw one scouting report offer up the words "not coachable" and "undisciplined". His production was good though, and word is that he's a heck of a skater, so there is some potential. But I see red flags, and those moved him down my list." - Arby

"Green will likely go back and spend some more time with Saint John of the QMJHL. A righty D, Green scored 10 goals and 25 assists in 61 games last season and was a +18. The Jets felt he was worth a draft pick and selected him this past draft in the 3rd round." - Andy

"Another right handed shot in the Jets system. A speedy, puck moving defenseman that can put up points from the blueline. He will spend a few seasons with the Moose once his junior career is over. Most likely a project player." - Ian

Looks like he has a lot of offensive potential, but you have to wonder why he fell so far.    Be interesting to see what he can do.