Manitoba Moose

Goalie

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There were people very low on Morrissey last season  

players develop at different paces.  Could be a steal.  Nice to have some more kids to follow on the farm 

Who was low on Morrissey?   He was the Moose' best defenceman for most of last season...

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah for sure, I just didn't think it was allowed.

They have done it with a few draft picks now. Morrissey got an ATO as did Jansen Harkins last year. They sign the ATO because they aren't old enough to be allowed to play in the A. Exceptions for European drafted players playing junior in Europe apply hence why Nylander was a Marlie for a couple seasons and not in junior. He played junior in Europe 

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah there were people that thought he looked far too out of place in the pros and would be a project.  Definitely a great thing that he made the jump to a critical role.

One analysis I heard recently was interesting. It said that Morrissey was too smart and thought too fast for the AHL and couldn't adapt as well to the erratic paly . In the NHL, the players are smarter and doing things more predictably and at a higher level and Morrissey thrives in that situation.

Not sure I buy that but it is an interesting theory.

12 minutes ago, JCon said:

One analysis I heard recently was interesting. It said that Morrissey was too smart and thought too fast for the AHL and couldn't adapt as well to the erratic paly . In the NHL, the players are smarter and doing things more predictably and at a higher level and Morrissey thrives in that situation.

Translation:  All the rest of the Jets' D prospects are slow and don't make good decisions.  Great.

52 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's a pretty common thought applied to many "defensive defenceman" prospects.  Most of what they do is based on their "reads" and reads are a lot easier when the opposition is playing a coherent system.  The more "pond hockey" the other team is playing, the harder it is for a smart defenceman to do his job because it's difficult to read the next move of someone making it up as they go along.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

It's a pretty common thought applied to many "defensive defenceman" prospects.  Most of what they do is based on their "reads" and reads are a lot easier when the opposition is playing a coherent system.  The more "pond hockey" the other team is playing, the harder it is for a smart defenceman to do his job because it's difficult to read the next move of someone making it up as they go along.

The Jets must befuddle their opponents on a nightly basis.

It's always amazed me how dumpster fire like certain players look on the Moose but don't on the Jets or not as much... melchiori is awful but in the NHL he doesn't look as awful as he does with the Moose. Strait is a dumpster fire also and awful but less awful with the Jets. 

Even Petan Dano and Copp didn't look great with the Moose or Armia even. They are all capable NHL players tho. 

Keep in mind also... these guys grow up wanting to play in the NHL... not the AHL. 

As for people thinking Morrissey wasn't good.... well you had ppl calling Kyle Connor a bust also. Some people think if a guy doesn't make the NHL hid first year in pro he sucks... those people are wrong tho 

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

People called Kyle Connor a bust?  He wasn't ready for the NHL but that doesn't make him a bust.  I guess I don't listen to the radio much any more but I haven't heard anyone call him a bust.

Yeah not NHL ready and i wonder if the jets would have signed him to contract if they knew Laine was coming.  Perhaps another yeah in the NCAA might have been better.

20 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah not NHL ready and i wonder if the jets would have signed him to contract if they knew Laine was coming.  Perhaps another yeah in the NCAA might have been better.

Lol. You just don't really understand do you? 

22 goals now in the AHL. Played half the games there. He's doing quite well. Just because he's not nhl ready which he probably is right now anyway... doesn't mean he should have stayed In a lesser league. 

This idea that you seem to have about guys being rookies not being on the team so they should have stayed in college or junior ... just stop 

Edited by Goalie

On 3/23/2017 at 3:05 PM, Atomic said:

Also, if you are the kind of defenceman who makes quick reads and quick passes, playing with lesser skilled teammates means you often don't have the play you want to make available to you.  Your teammate didn't make the same read, and even if they did they might not be fast enough to get to that spot, and you're left fighting your instincts and looking for plan B a lot of the time.

So Morrissey may have been forced to dumb down his game just to be on the same page as the rest of the Moosekiteers, but I watched one Moose game last year, so I couldn't say if that holds any water.

On 3/23/2017 at 9:04 PM, Floyd said:

Moose torched again...

“They won the game on their powerplay.” said Moose head coach Pascal Vincent. “Scored three goals on their powerplay. Got to block some shots. We have to do a better job there for sure.”

Mike Ribeiro was playing for the Admirals?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...