Manitoba Moose

Goalie

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting that the Jets have been preaching a draft and develop model, Chevy often talked about "over-ripening" players in the AHL.  But this is not happening.  It did with maybe Chiarot, and it is with Morrissey.  

Now you look at who is on the Jets this year Ehlers - never played in the AHL, Copp - Never played in the AHL, Petan - Never played in the AHL.

Now of course Ehlers would have had to of gone back to juniors if he wasn't playing for the Jets, so I'm fine with him being on the team, but how many young rookies can you really absorb and not experience what we are right now.

You have to start to wonder if we didn't do The Jets, The Moose, as well as Copp and Petan a disservice by not re-signing players like Stempniak and Tlusty and letting them "ripen" in the AHL.

It is interesting that the Jets have been preaching a draft and develop model, Chevy often talked about "over-ripening" players in the AHL.  But this is not happening.  It did with maybe Chiarot, and it is with Morrissey.  

Now you look at who is on the Jets this year Ehlers - never played in the AHL, Copp - Never played in the AHL, Petan - Never played in the AHL.

Now of course Ehlers would have had to of gone back to juniors if he wasn't playing for the Jets, so I'm fine with him being on the team, but how many young rookies can you really absorb and not experience what we are right now.

You have to start to wonder if we didn't do The Jets, The Moose, as well as Copp and Petan a disservice by not re-signing players like Stempniak and Tlusty and letting them "ripen" in the AHL.

This is why I was so certain Petan would go to the Moose.  It flies in the face of the Jets' code of development.  Ehlers, like you said is a special case.  Copp to a degree might be special in that he was American and had to be "convinced" to turn pro, no?  And part of that convincing might have been some assurances he'd play for the big club rather than the Moose.

It really makes you wonder if it came down to budget.  I mean, its not that much money, but why else would you not explore re-signing guys like Tlusty and Stepniak who could play bottom six effectively and put rookies in those spots?  Im not even arguing they should have signed those two guys....but it seems they made a conscious decision to go younger and cheaper and accept the risks that come with it.

There has to be at least 3 guys on the Moose right now that can play 5 minutes a game on the 4th line and probably be more effective in that role, than Petan where as Petan would likely benefit a lot from being a top line Center with lots of ice time in all situations.  Westwood talked about this today with Trouba saying the difference between a player hitting expectations and being a "flop" can be confidence.  I wonder where Petan's confidence is right now.

And there still must be a plethora of bottom six guys the Jets could swing a trade for that would cost them next to nothing.  If the idea was to not be committed to guys past this year, I find it difficult to believe they couldnt sign anyone for one year.

Unless they are waiting fro Raffl to return and feel he's a better bottom six option... but again, it's robbing the Moose of talent and hindering development there.

This is why I was so certain Petan would go to the Moose.  It flies in the face of the Jets' code of development.  Ehlers, like you said is a special case.  Copp to a degree might be special in that he was American and had to be "convinced" to turn pro, no?  And part of that convincing might have been some assurances he'd play for the big club rather than the Moose.

It really makes you wonder if it came down to budget.  I mean, its not that much money, but why else would you not explore re-signing guys like Tlusty and Stepniak who could play bottom six effectively and put rookies in those spots?  Im not even arguing they should have signed those two guys....but it seems they made a conscious decision to go younger and cheaper and accept the risks that come with it.

There has to be at least 3 guys on the Moose right now that can play 5 minutes a game on the 4th line and probably be more effective in that role, than Petan where as Petan would likely benefit a lot from being a top line Center with lots of ice time in all situations.  Westwood talked about this today with Trouba saying the difference between a player hitting expectations and being a "flop" can be confidence.  I wonder where Petan's confidence is right now.

And there still must be a plethora of bottom six guys the Jets could swing a trade for that would cost them next to nothing.  If the idea was to not be committed to guys past this year, I find it difficult to believe they couldnt sign anyone for one year.

Unless they are waiting fro Raffl to return and feel he's a better bottom six option... but again, it's robbing the Moose of talent and hindering development there.

Herein lies the problem, IMO. There isn't 3 better players. Who have they looked to in the past? John Albert & Patrice Cormier? Lipon isn't ready. Armia hasn't shown nearly enough in ours or Buff's organization to warrant NHL time. Raffl hasn't been healthy. Who am I missing?

Posted in the NHL thread but better here.

Let me reiterate, its nice to be right.  (me and others) 

Because bragging once isn't good enough?

No, I like the most amount of people to see it as possible!

But really just being facetious because we as fans always say "this is what the Jets should do" when 99.9% of the time the coaches and management know better.  So it's just shows you that something a lot of fans said from day one turned out to be the right decision for a change!  :P

The moose were much better last night. Didn't go but my buddy did and said eventho they lost they played much better. 3 9 1 1 Is their record. But the last 2 weeks they have been getting better. Very young team. Apparently petan stood out. The goalie was very good again. He's had 1 "bad" game all year.