Around the NHL

Catch all thread for discussing other NHL teams/news.

Up first:  Pittsburgh Penguins, my secondary team to cheer for.

I guess their worst start since Sid's rookie year could be because of their lousy defense.  Or bad coaching.  Or Kessel.

But in reality its because I took Fleury in my pool every year for 10 years until last year when I was fed up, he has his best year ever and then I took him this year and now he sucks. 

But really, whats the deal?  They might be the first to can their coach.

Jets had Chevy and two scouts in Philly last night:

Hockeybuzz:

There were several scouts in Philly last night to take in the game between the Flyers and Hawks and the most well represented were the Winnipeg Jets who had their GM and two top scouts in the building. Often times I get to talk to scouts and the reality is they are just taking in the game because they take in games every night and if they are nearby they will attend...

And in regards to probably 5 of the 9 teams in Philly last night I would say that was the case...However, not Winnipeg.

Sources tell me they were scouting "3 to 5 players on the Flyers squad" including Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, and Sam Gagner....bu before we assume this all about Byfuglien, with whom the Flyers have always had interest, I am told in this case it was not about Byfuglien...at least not at this point.

"The Buff deal could happen at some point this season or the Draft," but I am hearing the teams are talking about a different, albeit pretty big, deal.

The Flyers are definitely interested in moving some salary and would like to get help in their own end as well as secondary scoring...

One of the comments I found amusing as when I read it I immediately thought...yeah I might do that.  Throw in a prospect/pick

Today @ 1:37 PM ET  
The schenns and Vinny for Buff

Unless Sanheim or Provorov is involved it makes no sense to the Jets. At all

Ive been a believe in Buff as having lots of value but I dont know... I guess it depends on what offers the Jets get.  Im not sure why getting two or three roster forwards helps the Jets right now.  if Buff goes, a depth D man, sure.  But prospects/pics are better.

if its Ladd, then yes, we'd want a top forward in return.

If both signed they won't be traded. Not this year anyway.

Both have more value at the deadline now if they remain unsigned. That's when teams who think they are one piece away and loaded for a run will love a pending UFA and give up a lot to get them. And by a lot I mean picks and prospects.

Problem is, the deadline is when we need them too. But quite honestly if both are unsigned I don't care where the Jets are and I don't care how big a role they have. If they are unsigned at the deadline you trade both for maximum return. You simply can't lose them for nothing. The return could set the jets up as a Contender for years

If both signed they won't be traded. Not this year anyway.

Both have more value at the deadline now if they remain unsigned. That's when teams who think they are one piece away and loaded for a run will love a pending UFA and give up a lot to get them. And by a lot I mean picks and prospects.

Problem is, the deadline is when we need them too. But quite honestly if both are unsigned I don't care where the Jets are and I don't care how big a role they have. If they are unsigned at the deadline you trade both for maximum return. You simply can't lose them for nothing. The return could set the jets up as a Contender for years

I don't really agree. If you are entrenched in a playoff hunt you don't trade away two key pieces. No team does and I'm pretty sure the Jets wouldn't.

Hypothetical here. If we are in 1st or 2nd in the Central, do you still trade them?

Just trying to figure out what the cutoff is.

You trade them both to set us up for years but by the point those pieces become contributing members of the team, you have the same decision with Wheeler and Myers ( or Scheifele and Trouba).

What is your point when the Jets become buyers?