Jets Prospects

Ducky

Kyle Connor has 48 point in 27 games an average of 1.7787 points per game .

Dylan Larkin had 47 points in 35 games for the same team last year for an average of 1.343 points per game .

Jack Eichel had 71 points in 40 games in his last year of college for  an average of 1.775 points per game .

I see Connor making the team in the fall and actually signing in March and getting a couple of weeks on the Jets roster at the end of the season.

I am hoping to see Connor on one wing with Wheeler or Ehlers or Armia on the other wing with Scheif or Matthews at center.

Going forward... Connor Scheif Wheeler Armia Ehlers and Matthews/Laine/Puljujärvi look like a pretty solid top 6 for a few years.

Lemieux, Roslovic, Petan, Copp, Lowry, Harkins, De Leo,  Lipon, and Spacek will be fighting for roster spots sooner or later.

We have Comrie and Helle and Phillips for depth in goal and look to be set for some time.

Our D, on the other hand, needs some help on the depth. Besides Morrissey, there isn't much coming up the pike on the left hand side and I fully expect the Jets to take some LHD at this draft or trade for one by this time next year. There is Sami Niku and not much else. The RHD right now is very good but not a great deal coming up the pike. Hopefully Kostalek makes the team in at least a 3rd pairing position and hopefully Glover and/or Poolman and/or Nogier turn out.

If we keep adding to many young guys to our roster at once we wont get better. As good as they are they need time.

Not only do they need time but so do guys on the big team now. Guys like Ehlers, Armia, Copp.. Id even add in Trouba, Myers... Still really young players and are still learning the NHL. We need to give these guys a bit of time to find their game and role at the NHL level before we start adding more rookies.

As much as id luv to see our young guys up here doing well id like to see them develop and learn from our more experienced players. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

not sure why they would rush Connor into the line up.  I'd like to see him stay in college one more year and show us his stuff at the World Juniors.  Why wasn't he on the US WJ team this year?

I'd think Connor himself would want to stay in college & get his degree. If I was his father that's what I'd want him to do. All it takes is 1 injury & his career's over. Or hockey career doesn't pan out so education should come first.

6 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I'd think Connor himself would want to stay in college & get his degree. If I was his father that's what I'd want him to do. All it takes is 1 injury & his career's over. Or hockey career doesn't pan out so education should come first.

Nice though but most want to turn pro asap. One contract and they are looking pretty good financially.  

Just now, iso_55 said:

Unfortunately the current NHL and NCAA rules regarding these players are not conducive to this.

First because NCAA athletes are not allowed to accept professional money in any capacity, they can't even be given a plane ticket and lodging to attend NHL training camp.  They basically need to pay their way to training camps themselves, even if they are going "for the experience" and have little chance to make the team.  

Second, an NHL team is at risk of losing the rights to an NCAA player if they go unsigned for too long.  It is something like if they aren't signed a year after their 4th year (or when they get their degree or something  like that), then the player becomes a free agent.  So a player who stays at College to finish his degree doesn't have to wait very long to circumvent all the RFA rules and gets to pick where he wants to play, and for more money then a typical RGA contract.

So this puts NHL clubs in a position to pressure these players to sign early and before they finish their degrees.  The NHL teams want them in their system, with their trainers and training camp to make sure their development progresses.  Also they will dangle NHL contracts / money to have them leave college early so they don't risk losing their draft picks for nothing.

As more and more NCAA players make their way to the NHL, both the NHL and NCAA need to revamp these rules for the benefit of the young players.

My son plays football at SFU at the qb position & yeah the rules compared to CIS are ridiculous. He finished his senior year in 2015. CIS qbs can take part in CFL training camps yet if my son did that he'd be considered a professional & suspended by the NCAA. He'd have loved to spend an entire training camp learning & getting better like other CIS qbs are doing but the rules prevented that. Even eating lunch with a CFL team is considered payment & he'd be considered a professional. Yet the NCAA makes hundreds of millions off the back of college players. It's too bad.

Edited by iso_55

2 hours ago, iso_55 said:

One year in the big leagues and he can buy a college degree.

Develop players correct and they understand the first contract they sign aint their last. The long term will come.

If we trade away or give up on players before they are ready we will end up like ****.

We drafted these guys. Develop them correctly.

Trouba should get 5 years at 20-25 mil. Then hes 26-27 years old and can as for more.

If Connor is ready and the Jets feel he is ready he will be here next season. It's that simple. Some guys are just ready when they are ready. Connor is very good and all about the speed. He's pretty much proving that he's 2 good for the NCAA and is ready for the next step. 

He pretty much has nothing to prove playing in the NCAA next year 

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not in Junior. His eligibility is up. He's a Jet or Moose next year 

You want to force him into the NHL for some reason.

It seems you want him to just produce or trade him for another prospect. Seems to me thats what your deal is. Trade them all

We should develop our players before we give up.

Seems stupid to just go about trading away guys for others we have no clue about.

Edited by New_Earth_Mud

3 minutes ago, New_Earth_Mud said:

You want to force him into the NHL for some reason.

It seems you want him to just produce or trade him for another prospect. Seems to me thats what your deal is. Trade them all

We should develop our players before we give up.

Seems stupid to just go about trading away guys for others we have no clue about.

Well if his junior eligibility is up there is no option other than turning pro. Moose or Jets.