Jets Prospects

Ducky

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I always love it when people make these big, definitive statements. I have no idea where Stanley's going to end up, in terms of ceiling, and I'm okay with that.....I do know that D take a lot longer to develop than any other position.

exactly.  He has so many detractors already calling him a bust, a wasted pick, etc etc.. the kids 19.  he didn't ask to be drafted where he was.  Obviously someone saw something in him that leads them to believe he has a higher ceiling then people are giving him credit for.   I have no issue giving him 4-5 years of seasoning in the ECHL or wherever they want him to develop.   If he plateaus during that time or shows that he doesn't have it.. so be it.. but to start in on him already?

makes no sense to me.   hes a worthwhile gamble.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It wasnt long ago that some people thought Morrissey was a bust...

very good call.. I remember the calls for him to be demoted, cut or traded because he was no good.   People get so hung up on players slow development these days.  Its just the nature of the beast with players in Hockey.  Its quite the step up and takes a bit to figure it out.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It wasnt long ago that some people thought Morrissey was a bust...

Hell, I'll eat a small portion of crow here.  After preseason last year I didn't think he was ready.  Proved me wrong and then some.....though to be fair, I don't know anyone who expected him to be that solid, that quickly.

Edited by Jimmy Pop

25 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Comparing Morrissey to Stanley is ridiculous. Morrissey has more skill in 1 hand than Stanley does his entire body. I know its hard for ppl to believe but... Stanley was a bad pick. Hes years... Years... Yearrrs away. 

And you do realize that the Jets are completely ok with the fact that he is years away and have said this on many occasions. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Comparing Morrissey to Stanley is ridiculous. Morrissey has more skill in 1 hand than Stanley does his entire body. I know its hard for ppl to believe but... Stanley was a bad pick. Hes years... Years... Yearrrs away. 

No one is comparing the players. Just comparing the silly histeria of writing off a player this early. LOL

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

And you do realize that the Jets are completely ok with the fact that he is years away and have said this on many occasions. 

Yeah it's weird. Like whatever he is today is all he is?  

Jets took him right around where he was forecast to be taken. Jets liked him and wanted him. Down the road we can decide if that was good or not. But he would not have been there much longer. 

Plus jets already had a pretty decent pick in the first round so could afford to gamble a bit more with this pick. 

It was not an off the board pick at all. And it sounds like the player is exactly what he was scouted to be. Big with low offensive skills and "vision" issues. Has improved mobility which is good. Now he will either learn and develop or not. 

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Not sure where all the Stanley hate comes from, if its from the stats crowd or what?  When I watch him play he is a dominant defenceman.  He might spend some time with the Moose next year but he'll be on the Jets very soon.  ECHL?  Lol!  He won't play a single game in the ECHL.

I think people get caught up in offensive numbers.  If Stanley plays a physical game, is responsible in his own end and never scores a goal?  So what.  Its that pass out of the zone you want him to be able to make.  And thats the criticism I've seen from scouts is that he has to make quicker decisions, but has improved on the "first pass" aspect.  Has to keep getting better to play every day in the NHL though. 

But his size and mobility is definitely something worth spending time developing.

39 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think people get caught up in offensive numbers.  If Stanley plays a physical game, is responsible in his own end and never scores a goal?  So what.  Its that pass out of the zone you want him to be able to make.  And thats the criticism I've seen from scouts is that he has to make quicker decisions, but has improved on the "first pass" aspect.  Has to keep getting better to play every day in the NHL though. 

But his size and mobility is definitely something worth spending time developing.

He was averaging .5 points per game last season before getting injured.  Fine numbers for a guy who isn't necessarily an "offensive" defenceman.  He's got a cannon from the point and he plays an aggressive big-man style game.  I expect his numbers will increase this year as well.  There's nothing to be worried about.  He will be an NHL defenceman.  Probably not a top-pairing guy any time soon but he'll be a 3rd-pairing guy for the Jets within 2 years and top-4 within 5 years.  Just has to keep working on his footwork.  And that will come in time.  Being 6'8" at 18 years old isn't easy.  

The usual criticism comes from non-athlete stats guys and older guys who had a taste of junior hockey who now think they're experts but I don't take that very seriously.

On 9/15/2017 at 11:22 AM, Atomic said:

I just try to offend as many people as possible and see who wants to dance

I watched Stanley last year at the Young Stars tournament in Penticton and he was pretty brutal.   I didn't bother going this year.  That being said, I watched Tyler Myers here in Kelowna look like Bambi out there on the ice with the Rockets and he's turned out pretty well.  So I will reserve judgement for another year.

• 2 weeks later...