Darren Cameron Blog (for discussion): "Patience Is A Virtue"

Noeller

12 hours ago, IC Khari said:

He also said we "won free agency" so no worries :)

First of all... Darren Cameron didn't write this blog, it was written by Rhéanne Marcoux (Social Media Manager).... and secondly... cfl.ca labelled the article "Bombers win Free Agency"... Cameron called it "looking back on free agency" (paraphrasing on those titles...)

Heck, I wouldn?t have written the above preluding many of the seasons I?ve been here. But something you develop over a long period of countless hours in the sports business, is a strong sense for what feels right or wrong heading into a new season; knowing when things are actually on the right track, or when they aren?t.

- Rheanne's been the Bombers Social and Digital Media manager for all of a year and 4 months. She manages the social media accounts, she doesn't write the blogs. She likely posted it. Not likely she wrote it.

17 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:
Heck, I wouldn?t have written the above preluding many of the seasons I?ve been here. But something you develop over a long period of countless hours in the sports business, is a strong sense for what feels right or wrong heading into a new season; knowing when things are actually on the right track, or when they aren?t.

- Rheanne's been the Bombers Social and Digital Media manager for all of a year and 4 months. She manages the social media accounts, she doesn't write the blogs. She likely posted it. Not likely she wrote it.

And this is your opinion.

Just because she's only been in her current position for 16 months does not mean she hasn't been with the org. longer.

In past years people have ripped the Bombers for their bush league approach to players, fan experience, cheapness, etc and how this was a reason that no free agents wanted to come here.  Therefore the points in this article (if true) are very relevant and do matter. 

Yes winning is ultimately the main thing that matters and this group still has a lot to prove but one of the main ways we get better is to get better players.  You get them by treating them the way this blog described.

If we kept losing good players in free agency because the organization treated them like garbage then people would be screaming about that.

All of this stuff matters

17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

*****, *****, *****, (female dog, female dog, female dog)

A soft article comes out in a flavour favourable to the Home Team and invokes such negative reactions. What these people are complaining about is the exact culture of losing that the Bombers are trying to change. As if the names spewed out here, don't want to win with all their being. 

yup. its entertaining to watch the people complain about the culture.. then complain about an article trying to convey the fact they have changed the culture and continue to try and make it a better place to draw in the best players and coaches..

negatrons.. hoooooo!

I dont think it's so much negative, but the P word (patience) has been used so much for so long, it's almost a sure fire way to piss fans off now and days. At this point in time,  I dont really care so much to hear about the good locker room nature. my eyes and interest are strictly on the field and its that and that alone that will be the focus of 2016 for me.  So i get why people get rubbed the wrong way when people mention patience, it only lasts for so long,  the more important thing for many after the last 2 years of futility with this regime, and even longer beyond them,  the only P word many of us want now is Produce

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I dont think it's so much negative, but the P word (patience) has been used so much for so long, it's almost a sure fire way to piss fans off now and days. At this point in time,  I dont really care so much to hear about the good locker room nature. my eyes and interest are strictly on the field and its that and that alone that will be the focus of 2016 for me.  So i get why people get rubbed the wrong way when people mention patience, it only lasts for so long,  the more important thing for many after the last 2 years of futility with this regime, and even longer beyond them,  the only P word many of us want now is Produce

Yea and I agree with you on the patience versus produce side of things.  its time to piss or get off the pot so to speak.  I just think that we do have the foundation in place now and it seems to be paying dividends in regards to bringing in some better FAs and players who want to be here a part of it.

Just read this...  I know its PR but this was funny...

Finally, this season we are starting to see that development come to fruition. Sukh Chungh (2nd overall, 2015) will return in 2016 after starting every game for us last season at guard. To put that in perspective, and to highlight just how challenging that is to accomplish as a rookie offensive lineman, Sukh is one of only five lineman drafted in the past three years to start ten or more games in a season. Over one spot, Matthias Goossen (2ndoverall, 2014) will take over at centre after being drafted as a 21-year-old.  Matthias is one of only three lineman drafted in 2014 who made a start (six total) in 2015. Meanwhile, Derek Jones had a career-high 15 special teams tackles (fourth round, 2014). An example of a what good drafting can do to help your club in time.

Sukh Chungh - yes, very excited about him but most teams didn't need to field a rookie.  Lavoie and Lavertu got hurt right away, Groulx and Beard played a handful of games...   this just means the Bombers had no OL depth, ha.

Mattias Goossen - only three linemen drafted in 2014 1st round...  There were only four drafted in the first two rounds, ha!!!  And one of them is in the NFL...  

Derek Jones - super excited about Jones... but example of good drafting?  Because he's playing ST?  Hartmann, Miles, Black - tons of late round draft picks play special teams... 

All this says is 'hey, look we're trying to run the bombers like an average team after five years of being a complete train wreck... have patience and someday we'll be 10-8 again.'

NOW THIS GETS ME EXCITED...  From Jesse Briggs Wikipedia ha

Jesse Briggs (born April 14, 1990) is a linebacker for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League. He was selected in the second round, 17th overall, in the 2014 CFL Draft. Briggs played college football at McGill University. Jesse started the trend of long hair in football. Additionally Jesse once nursed a baby bird back to health and named him Derek. Jesse also started the trend of the single arm sleeve, most famously emulated by Robert Griffin III.

Additionally, in an October 10th, 2015 game vs. the BC Lions, Jerry gained 11 yards on a 3rd and 10 fake punt run. After these late game heroics in a pivotal Western Division match up, coupled with a beautiful run in the Banjo Bowl vs. the Saskatchewan Roughriders, some have called Jerry the greatest fake punt artist of our generation. One spectator was heard saying, "his skills border on the supernatural," and another "#thekid moves the chains, period."

Edited by Floyd

39 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Matthias is one of only three lineman drafted in 2014 who made a start (six total) in 2015.

Mattias Goossen - only three linemen draft in 2014...??  There were only four drafted in the first two rounds, ha!!!  And one of them is in the NFL...  

How do you bold part of a post, and yet still not understand it?

42 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

How do you bold part of a post, and yet still not understand it?

I totally understand it.  It says Goossen is one of only three linemen who start six games in 2015...  i.e. the 3 OL drafted played more than six games in 2015...  what am I missing?

What it leaves out is that there were only four OL drafted in the top two rounds, one was bound for NFL and is a long-term prospect...

So, this stat just says that if you picked an OL in 2014, he played in 2015. (Lavertu 16, Player 9) Yay!

The stat is absolutely meaningless.

Not sure free agents potentially don't want to come here because players are treated poorly. Players want a winning environment and an organization that they believe is moving in a positive direction. You an wave the stability and patience flag all you want this boat has been sitting in the Atlantic waiting for the jet stream to push it for long enough. Produce or perish.

5 hours ago, Floyd said:

I totally understand it.  It says Goossen is one of only three linemen who start six games in 2015...  i.e. the 3 OL drafted played more than six games in 2015...  what am I missing?

What it leaves out is that there were only four OL drafted in the top two rounds, one was bound for NFL and is a long-term prospect...

So, this stat just says that if you picked an OL in 2014, he played in 2015. (Lavertu 16, Player 9) Yay!

The stat is absolutely meaningless.

It didn't say they were talking about linemen drafted in the first 2 rounds. There were 11 OL drafted in 2014. Goossen and 2 others were the only ones who started any games.

Edited by Jacquie

Jet streams are fast flowing, narrow air currents found in the upper atmosphere or in troposphere of some planets, including Earth. The main jet streams are located near the altitude of the tropopause.

So, that being the case, if the Jet Stream is going to move the ship, you better have one humdinger of a mast and sail. 

Doug Brown's (Sort Of) Response To Darren Cameron Blog:

"WHEN seven coveted free agents sign with your football franchise — such as what we saw happen a few weeks ago with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers — it is easy to infer they saw more benefits than potential pitfalls in doing so. What is much harder to pin down, however, is the exact rationale for making such a determination.

The local football team has recently promoted a couple of stories on its webpage that credit the appeal of its head coach as the critical factor in these signings, and that’s a valid point.

In spite of losing twice as often as they have won over the last couple of seasons, it has obviously not deterred new players from bringing their talents to Manitoba. In fact, this losing record and substantial coaching and player turnover on a yearly basis makes these free agent signings and comments all the more impressive.

It takes charismatic and strong leadership to not waver in the face of adversity and to still present an appealing environment full of possibilities in spite of short returns. The cliché tells us hard times reveal character, and there is seemingly no shortage of that on several rungs of the coaching staff in Blue and Gold.

That being said, there are simply too many factors involved in an athlete’s decision to come to terms with a team to conclusively say one factor superseded any other.

If you’ve been around the game long enough, you’ve come to learn the most loyal professional athlete is the one who just cashed his bonus cheque with his new team, but hasn’t yet played a down. He hasn’t been late for a meeting yet, he hasn’t fumbled a football or got a penalty, he hasn’t been benched, he hasn’t disagreed with the play calling or argued with a coach.

Once these inevitable moments surface — as reality television has taught us — people stop being polite and start being real, but even then you would be hard pressed to find out publicly what players truly feel about their superiors.

Having played for eight different head coaches in pro football, no matter what you end up thinking about them by the close of your time together, initially, you are always eager to play for them.

When a recruited athlete has yet to earn the money you’ve handed out, or played in a game, they tend to follow most any narrative or directive you put in front of them. When you hear comments from new players about an organization or coach they haven’t gotten into the weeds with yet, it’s better to attribute their comments to the jubilation of the moment.

There is no agreed upon order or priority list for what makes a player want to play in any given postal code. Each one factors in money, potential for success, coaches, exposure, teammates and location, and they all weigh differently with each individual.

It’s also been reported that free agents chose Winnipeg as a destination for reasons outside of simply a bigger payday, as comparable offers were on the table from multiple suitors. While that is a favourable endorsement of a franchise, few and far between are the occasions when teams can actually authenticate that kind of information, and even rarer, when an agent is completely forthcoming about what other proposals have been made to their client.

Not only is it an agent’s job to land his client the best opportunity for a maximum amount of compensation, and to play teams against one another, but it is also in their interests to make their clients look less dollar-driven and to come off as caring about things that will endear them to a community.

For what puts a player in a better light: the acknowledgement that he/she signed with the team that made him/her the most outlandish offer, or one that chose a team because of other humanizing considerations?

If you truly want to reveal the merit of any organization or coaching staff, you wouldn’t just ask the newly signed players and the people who work in the building. For every player that has just committed and cashed a big cheque, I would suggest you also speak with a player who has spent a season or two playing, and was just released. The same see-saw of opinion should also be weighed when it comes to narratives from employees: they should be measured against those whose positions no longer exist.

Most teams are in hype mode right now and eager to share their successes of the off-season, but there is often more to the processes than what is shared and simplified for public consumption.

No organization and its coaching staff is as wondrous as players that haven’t even broken a sweat for it yet say it is, and no franchise is probably as dysfunctional as those that are no longer employed claim it is, either. Like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle of competing agendas, so it’s too easy to only promote a single side of it.

Doug Brown, once a hard-hitting defensive lineman and frequently a hard-hitting columnist, appears weekly in the Free Press.

Edited by Noeller