Oscars 2016

FrostyWinnipeg

I barely watch any of them either.  Most of the time none of them spark my interest.  Although I'm trying to find time to watch the Martian, that looks good.  And I saw Creed which was also good.  The rest...eh.  I may watch them at some time or another.  Although the Birdman is still sitting there collecting dust on Netflix so...

I watched the martian about a month ago, it was a good watch, considering it's mostly just a 1 man acting scene, Its been so long since i watched cast away, im not sure if I'd compare it to that other then it's tom hanks solo, but vastly different scenarios of survival.

movies on this like Joy, Brooklyn, Carol, room,  i dont think ill ever watch, even if they each won a wheel barrel  full of oscars

10 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

If he deserves one, yes. I had this convo with my dad yesterday on our way to see triple 9, other then possibly will smith in concussion, what other black actor had a real strong lead role in 2015 worth nominating?

Idris Elba and Michael B. Jordan did well in their respective films. (Creed not Fantastic 4 lol)

Michael B Jordan did not deserve to be nominated for Creed.  His performance was good, but nothing Oscar worthy.  To me he was just MBJ...again.  Like all the rest of his performances.  I didn't see the movie with Idris Elba so I can't comment on him.  Nor did I see Will Smith's performance.

If they were snubbed it sucks.  I know the Oscars do that a lot to certain actors.  Like how was Jim Carrey not nominated for his performance on Man on the Moon.  That one was just ludicrous.  I remember at the time he had said something that he didn't care about the Oscars.  I think a lot of people also wanted him nominated for The Truman Show, which he did a good job in as well...not sure if it was Oscar worthy, but at the time it was a really good movie.

I think because of Will Smith not getting nominated and nothing being nominated for Straight Outta Compton (being a huge hit in the black community), among other things, a lot of people were saying it was racist that no black actors were being nominated.  Amazingly the black community didn't seem to give a crap about any other ethnicity not being nominated.  Just something I noticed.

7 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

I think because of Will Smith not getting nominated and nothing being nominated for Straight Outta Compton (being a huge hit in the black community), among other things, a lot of people were saying it was racist that no black actors were being nominated.  Amazingly the black community didn't seem to give a crap about any other ethnicity not being nominated.  Just something I noticed.

I havent seen SOC yet, though I want to.  But whether its a hit or not doesnt mean someone should be nominated.  Dicaprio was widely considered to be "robbed" for having never won but no one said it was due to racism.  He finally won.  I think there are certain people out there that look for racism in everything.  If the academy is racist and wouldnt nominate any black actors, it makes no sense if they have before and will again.  I think its more a case of the academy not feeling the performance was worthy, regardless of ethnicity

Also, was the Academy racist when they nominated Will Smith twice, once in 2002 and once in 2007?  Jada Smith seems like a real ***** to be honest.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

While I enjoyed straight outta compton, who was the lead role, cube or eazy?  I cant see a rap movie being nominated for much tho tbh. Look at the type of music they nominate as it is, gangsta rap pioneers singing about **** the police, doesnt strike me as something theyd even have a 2nd thought about in any category

1 minute ago, Logan007 said:

I don't think it matters to them.  The fact that not one was nominated, to them, is a huge deal.  Even though I think, and I think most people think, the Oscars are a big farce anyway.

Yeah I could buy it if they said the Academy were a bunch of out of touch elitists.  But racist?  Come on. Thats such low hanging fruit.

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I am glad that specter theme song won best song in a movie oscar tho.  I remember going to the theaters to see specter and thinking wow this song is trying a little too hard, must want an award. in any case it was a far cry from madonna's die another day in the right direction

You liked the Spectre theme song?  I thought it was one of the worst Bond songs out there.  Live and let die, Die another day, Goldfinger, Skyfall, so many good ones.

I like a strong vocal performance.  I thought die another day was generic dance poop that madonna was so keen on spit out around that time,  like a 60 year old bar star, definitely didnt really follow suit with any other bond theme that i can think of where as Specter did. 

Would I say i liked it? not really my cup of tea, but I can see why it won or at least would be nominated.  it was a pretty elegant song from a musical point of view

just to show case lol