Bombers FA Signings 2016

Noeller

Better than in the all-CFL thread.....

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed International offensive lineman Manase Foketi.

Foketi (6-6, 310, West Texas A&M, September 18, 1990 in Hesperia, CA) signed as an undrafted free agent with Denver in 2013. He spent part of 2014 with the Buffalo Bills on their practice roster, and was with the Saints through the 2014 preseason. Foketi played collegiate football at West Texas A&M, and attended the Blue Bombers mini-camp in Florida in 2014.

Manase Foketi

OT  West Texas A&M

Overview

In high school, Foketi lettered for two seasons. In his 2007, after not allowing a single sack, he was named all-league, all-county and all-Southern California. Foketi went to Mt. San Antonio College after his high school days were over. In 2009, he was named a Second Team All-Southern California Football Association offensive lineman. He helped his team earn a combined 15-3 record over Foketi?s two seasons there, including a 13-1 mark and a national championship as a sophomore.

Moketi transferred to Kansas State in 2010, and started every game at left tackle for the Wildcats. He helped the Wildcat rushing attack gain 200.0 yards per game, which ranked second in the Big 12, 20th nationally and 11th in school history. Foketi missed most of 2011 with an Achilles heel injury, and took a medical redshirt. He engaged in somewhat a battle with Kansas State after the season, as they denied his transfer request. Eventually, the issue was settled and Moketi ended up at West Texas A&M, where he strong finish to his college career.

Analysis

Strengths

Stout frame with long arms. Good balance, and nice knee bend. Has the agility to move well laterally. Has the strength to control his opponent and ride him out of plays when he gets his hands inside their chest. Aggressive as a run blocker, seeks to knock people over.

Weaknesses

Limited experience. A bit of a guard/tackle tweener. Feet may not be quick enough to keep him at tackle. Isn't versed in deep pass sets. Maturity is a question after a somewhat hostile exit from Kansas State.

NFL Comparison

Jermon Bushrod

Bottom Line

Teams will be split on whether or not Foketi can remain at tackle, but they will be sure to agree on his physical skill set and upside. While his lack of experience will prevent him from going as high as his talent might indicate, he could be a well worthwhile risk late in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/manase-foketi?id=2540248

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Bombers add another o-lineman:

http://www.bluebombers.com/2016/03/09/bombers-add-offensive-lineman/

Travis Bond, 6'6 329 lbs, a 7th round pick by Minnesota in 2013 with 51 NFL games (29 starts) under his belt.

That's not accurate.  Those games were in his NCAA days, not pro.  He played very little in the NFL during his time there and bounced around quite a bit. 

We might be looking at an import guard, but that will not be this guy. In my opinion anyways ... that's a real CFL tackle frame. I could see Martin and Hardrick getting looks at guard though. Maybe though ... who knows ... I'm really just guessing.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

We might be looking at an import guard, but that will not be this guy. In my opinion anyways ... that's a real CFL tackle frame. I could see Martin and Hardrick getting looks at guard though. Maybe though ... who knows ... I'm really just guessing.

You really need this as a sig line.....