UFC

Goalie

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Hate friday/sunday ufc cards. Gokhan saki was fun to watch. Wonder how high he will go. Essentially no grappling game, cant see him against dc or if rumble comes back. Gus could be a fun match up. Though i imagine they will feed him some low rated cans for a while. 

he was gassed badly after 4 minutes

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah he admitted afterwards that he's got to be in better shape next time.   Not the 1st guy to have that issue and won't be the last.

thats the truth. especially coming off such a long lay off. Makes me a lil nervous for GSP. i really really really dont want to see him lose to bisping. His cardio is generally excellent, but being out of the ring that long is a huge detriment. 

The transition from kickboxing to MMA is a huge transition...   as they alluded on the broadcast...   grappling and the amount of energy that it drains is massively different then clinching in boxing/kickboxing.   He would have to have several years of dedicated MMA training and lots of fights against cans to build him up to be a true contender.     

I say they cherry pick his fight against pure strikers and have exciting Melvin manhoef type fights

On 9/23/2017 at 7:25 PM, Brandon said:

The transition from kickboxing to MMA is a huge transition...   as they alluded on the broadcast...   grappling and the amount of energy that it drains is massively different then clinching in boxing/kickboxing.   He would have to have several years of dedicated MMA training and lots of fights against cans to build him up to be a true contender.     

I say they cherry pick his fight against pure strikers and have exciting Melvin manhoef type fights

Idk about several years. Striking is the art that takes the longest to hone, and doesnt have a hard diminishing returns.  (though i am pretty biased towards striking, I dont think the finite levels of grappling/bjj translate much or at all to mma) But at this age time is not on his side any way.  That division is bordering on putrid now though too. 

In a case like this, im all for having exciting money fights. Id rather that then him be pushed as a serious contender. Give me saki vs belfort,silva, and or lyoto. God knows belfort sans trt looks rough. Maybe a return to LHW would suit him well. Hell have the fight in brazil with all the Brazilian supplements and testing. :lol:

If gus loses to dc then thatd be a good one, money for gus. I love that match up.  Glover? sign me up for that too. 

FOX's exclusive negotiating period with UFC has expired.  So UFC can negotiate with other outlets for their next TV deal.

Current deal expires end of 2018 and is about $140 million for next year.  When UFC was bought, the idea was they could get $400 million per year on the next deal but internally, they actually hope and expect to get close to $250 million.  Which is obviously very significant.

The event is looking pretty bloody good. especially considering it isnt a PPV. 

I was looking at the earnings for the last ufc PPV. Made me sad. I could think of 3 times or so jack dempsey earned more in one fight (in the 1920s) then any one on the card. Then trying to think how many fights itd take DJ to equal some of those classic fights. Forget the ALI act the ufc fighters need an Ebeneezer scrooge christmas carol level of divine intervention. 

Edited by wbbfan

Santiago Ponzinibbio taking on Mike Perry in a welterweight clash and Jordan Mein against Erick Silva in the welterweight division have also been added to the Canadian card, UFC president Dana White confirmed to TSN.

Lots of straight up brawlers on this card.   It should turn out quite different from the last time they came to the Peg.    

On 10/14/2017 at 1:35 AM, Brandon said:

Lots of straight up brawlers on this card.   It should turn out quite different from the last time they came to the Peg.    

Last time it had some intriguing names, but not a lot of substance, and a bunch of injuries.  This is looking like an murders row of a card. Like one of the best TV events in years. Im excited af for this card.

Darren till said he was gonna ktfo cerrone. And he did it. I hope this is the end of cerrones run at WW.  He looked defeated early, and nothing like the cowboy that is soo beloved by mma fans. Back to LW please. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was kinda mixed on paulo costa in his debut. Looked good but not great. Just put on a clinic though against hendricks. hendricks with out juice is a shell of his former self but borrachinha is a bad bad man. 

Wow thug rose. holy crap. 

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW GSP!

He came in swole af.  Crazy explosive in the first round. His cardio at that weight looked some kind of rough in the 2nd. Joanna wasnt able to find the range against thug rose. Constantly missing jabs and every thing she threw. GSP was finding the range instantly.  When jon jones was suspended (previously) and came back after bulking up he was slow, and herky jerky. GSP came in and looked incredibly smooth, fast and dangerous. He has to address the cardio at that weight (understandable with his time off, and going up a division) but if he does he is one scary scary mfer. 

That round was really interesting for scoring. Damage doesnt score of course, but the ground position where bisping got the better to the point gsp had to stand up to stop the bleed is interesting. If that was a whole round that should be a round for bisping. In reality its very likely GSP would have won that round. 

Gsp talked about his size and going up, and doesnt sound like he intends to stay and defend. I wonder if he is gonna stay big and go back to fight tyrone. 

Edited by wbbfan