UFC

Goalie

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Looks like Brock Lesnar is returning to UFC, hence the fast track of the Roman/Brock issue for Summerslam.

Jon Jones is a distinct possibility and both he and Brock say they want the fight.

does jones want to get smashed that badly?  I can't imagine he will be able to compete with a behemoth like Lesnar.. even if lesnar is slow and plodding..

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

does jones want to get smashed that badly?  I can't imagine he will be able to compete with a behemoth like Lesnar.. even if lesnar is slow and plodding..

My money would be on Jones in that match. He's a giant lhw, so he wouldn't be undersized at hw. I think he'd keep his distance and pick Lesnar apart. His wrestling is good enough to keep Lesnar off of him imo. He held his own wrestling against Cormier, and he was an Olympian.

For whats it worth Jones said he would *not* try to out wrestle Brock that much.

Speculation is UFC wants Brock vs Jones in December.  Jones needs to win this weekend.  Any fights before WrestleMania, Vince McMahon has to approve and it sounds like WWE doesnt want Brock fighting.

My instinct is that its posturing by both sides.  Before Brock signed his current three year WWE deal, he had all but said he was going back to UFC, said all the right things about feeling he was robbed by medical issues and had something left to prove.  He was booked to go on ESPN to announce his return to UFC and instead announced he was officially retired and signed a deal with WWE.  So it was posturing to get a better deal.

Brock is the highest paid guy in WWE next to Cena.  And has told WWE he will not be re-signing after WrestleMania but its probably posturing.  Vince is always open to special deals with Brock and I think they will let him fight sooner than later as part of a deal to resign with WWE.

There is literally no reason to have suddenly changed the planned Roman/Brock Wrestlemania match and moved it to Summerslam (adding Joe and Stroman because they were suddenly more over and because everyone heard the UFC news and assumes Brock is losing) unless you're letting Brock fight and want the title off him in case he loses.

Jones would likely beat Brock.  Brock likely doesnt care.  He got over $5 million for his last fight.  So to go and make that much again for one fight?  No sweat.  UFC looks at it as "making" Jones who isnt as big a draw as his name would make you think.  But beating Brock could do it.

16 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

My money would be on Jones in that match. He's a giant lhw, so he wouldn't be undersized at hw. I think he'd keep his distance and pick Lesnar apart. His wrestling is good enough to keep Lesnar off of him imo. He held his own wrestling against Cormier, and he was an Olympian.

held his own against a bigger, stronger opponent.  Hes going to step into the octagon with an even bigger and stronger one? I can't see it ending well for Bones in this one.  he has proven me wrong in the past though but I'd put money on Lesnar.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:59 PM, bigg jay said:

thatd be fantastic. The event here prior was a bit under whelming but the gate was awesome, and so was the crowd. FOTN went to two women who went at it with one trying to grab a chair and go all wwf.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:30 AM, Fraser said:

Best card  of the  year coming up on Saturday. 

hell ya i cant wait!

On 7/27/2017 at 9:12 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

For whats it worth Jones said he would *not* try to out wrestle Brock that much.

Speculation is UFC wants Brock vs Jones in December.  Jones needs to win this weekend.  Any fights before WrestleMania, Vince McMahon has to approve and it sounds like WWE doesnt want Brock fighting.

My instinct is that its posturing by both sides.  Before Brock signed his current three year WWE deal, he had all but said he was going back to UFC, said all the right things about feeling he was robbed by medical issues and had something left to prove.  He was booked to go on ESPN to announce his return to UFC and instead announced he was officially retired and signed a deal with WWE.  So it was posturing to get a better deal.

Brock is the highest paid guy in WWE next to Cena.  And has told WWE he will not be re-signing after WrestleMania but its probably posturing.  Vince is always open to special deals with Brock and I think they will let him fight sooner than later as part of a deal to resign with WWE.

There is literally no reason to have suddenly changed the planned Roman/Brock Wrestlemania match and moved it to Summerslam (adding Joe and Stroman because they were suddenly more over and because everyone heard the UFC news and assumes Brock is losing) unless you're letting Brock fight and want the title off him in case he loses.

Jones would likely beat Brock.  Brock likely doesnt care.  He got over $5 million for his last fight.  So to go and make that much again for one fight?  No sweat.  UFC looks at it as "making" Jones who isnt as big a draw as his name would make you think.  But beating Brock could do it.

idk bout that fight. I worry when i see guys giving up that much weight. I dont even like JJ very much. I think its a lose lose cash grab fight, so it will probably happen. 

26 minutes ago, Fraser said:

No love  for maia hey

I reeaalllly want maia to win. But idk twood is a beast. Also my least favorite fighter in the ufc though. Not a fight i would bet on. jones, cybro, and lawler are about as much a lock as you can get. 

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

thatd be fantastic. The event here prior was a bit under whelming but the gate was awesome, and so was the crowd. FOTN went to two women who went at it with one trying to grab a chair and go all wwf.

The UFC has it up on their coming events page now but it's still not 100%.  They're trying to workout the logistics (jets game Thursday and moose game sunday) with the MTS centre.  Haven't talked to the commission yet either but that shouldn't be an issue.

Just now, bigg jay said:

The UFC has it up on their coming events page now but it's still not 100%.  They're trying to workout the logistics (jets game Thursday and moose game sunday) with the MTS centre.  Haven't talked to the commission yet either but that shouldn't be an issue.

awesome, i hope its a decent card. 

My hope for the next UFC in Winnipeg....

Much better security... they need Winnipeg Police big time.  Last time I saw way to many fights where tiny volunteer security ladies tried to break up two rival reserves duking it out.  

No Rashad Evans.....

No need for every fight to have a Canadian fighter...  

I'll take a joanna jedrzejczyk main event please!  

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

My hope for the next UFC in Winnipeg....

Much better security... they need Winnipeg Police big time.  Last time I saw way to many fights where tiny volunteer security ladies tried to break up two rival reserves duking it out.  

No Rashad Evans.....

No need for every fight to have a Canadian fighter...  

I'll take a joanna jedrzejczyk main event please!  

omg JJ would be soooooo gooooooood!

They allways do that schtick with the home fighters, its meh at best. They will prolly ring up roland delorme or some one again.

Gaethje would be good too. Korean zombie too if he was healthy >.< I hope they bring good style match ups and some guys who are game to fight. 

Rolly is retired now I believe.  There aren't any active locals in the UFC at this point so unless they sign some (I think there are 2 guys that have a shot), there might not actually be too many Canadians on the card.  A lot of them are fighting in Edmonton in September as too so while a December fight is still possible, it might rule some of them out.

Fight Night cards might lack some of the star power but they usually have guys hungry to make a name for themselves & move to the next level.  Saskatoon's event had Max Holloway in the main event a couple years ago and look at him now.

32 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Rolly is retired now I believe.  There aren't any active locals in the UFC at this point so unless they sign some (I think there are 2 guys that have a shot), there might not actually be too many Canadians on the card.  A lot of them are fighting in Edmonton in September as too so while a December fight is still possible, it might rule some of them out.

Fight Night cards might lack some of the star power but they usually have guys hungry to make a name for themselves & move to the next level.  Saskatoon's event had Max Holloway in the main event a couple years ago and look at him now.

Imagine youre right on him being retired. If they are gonna dig up some one id rather that then say doerksen. I dont follow the local scene at all (shame) Edmonton and alberta in general is allways a hot bed for combat sports. That, and montreal/quebec. 

Ya the FNs are about pushing up and comers. Which is why gaethje would be great. Or Re pushing a guy like showtime. 

Doerksen retired a while back too.  We don't have much of a local scene right now (1st MMA event in like 3-4 years is booked for September) so local guys have to stay busy elsewhere but the entire Canadian scene is pretty slow right now.  If they want a couple locals on the card, I'd be putting money on Brad Katona & Mariusz Ksiazkiewicz getting the call, both are undefeated & are one of the top guys in Canada for their weight classes.  They have a hell of a time getting fights because of how good they are and it means a promoter has to pay to bring them in from out of town (usually to beat up a local - not good for business! lol)

Gaethje won't be here.  He's currently coaching TUF 26 against Eddie Alvarez so he'll be fighting on the Finale (probably in Nov or Dec).  So many fights between now & December, it's almost impossible to guess what the card will look like.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Doerksen retired a while back too.  We don't have much of a local scene right now (1st MMA event in like 3-4 years is booked for September) so local guys have to stay busy elsewhere but the entire Canadian scene is pretty slow right now.  If they want a couple locals on the card, I'd be putting money on Brad Katona & Mariusz Ksiazkiewicz getting the call, both are undefeated & are one of the top guys in Canada for their weight classes.  They have a hell of a time getting fights because of how good they are and it means a promoter has to pay to bring them in from out of town (usually to beat up a local - not good for business! lol)

Gaethje won't be here.  He's currently coaching TUF 26 against Eddie Alvarez so he'll be fighting on the Finale (probably in Nov or Dec).  So many fights between now & December, it's almost impossible to guess what the card will look like.

yeah he coaches / teaches now. Hear good things about that. think hes still at cfc. 

That niche exists in all combat sports. too good to get the fight you need, not good enough to take the next step forward yet. One of the many down sides to the way fight match ups happen. 

Never got into following tuf i used to say one day ill give it a shot. Then i saw how many seasons it was.  

Joe teaches at WAMMA Brandon now but he's an OG so he is welcome at any gym.

Yep, not having a local promotion to build these guys up really slows down their progress.  Hopefully the new promotion does well and can put on regular shows.

TUF is alright but it's also terrible a lot of the time too.  There has been some great talent come from the show but way too many horrible fighters on there for the simple fact they make good tv.  If I had to rewatch, I'd stick to seasons that had people who went on to good careers (Rashad, Bisping, Dillashaw, etc).

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Didn't the last Winnipeg card also have 5 fights change because of injuries?

I will take Max Holloway,   Yair Rodriguez,   Mark Hunt,  Carlos Condit on the card please and thanks...

Yeah a whole lot, iirc DJ? was supposed to be the main event.  Man condit and or holloway would make for a great card. but itll prolly be lesnar JJ which gets cancelled cus they both piss hotter then the sun.