UFC

Goalie

21 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Manitoba has regulations in place where the doctors can call off the fight if there's extreme dehydration.  Not sure if that was the case though as Elliot was offered a catch weight but declined it.

On bloody elbow they said it was all elliot declining the fight as a catch weight. Iirc they offered him full purse plus half. 

I dont understand that move. Years back at the amateur level when cutting wasnt wide spread (in some combat sports, it seems to have allways been present in wrestling) I could understand it. Facing a guy who is legitimately 2 divisions above you is a terrible idea. But in the modern era with every one cuttting, its strange to me. If he made the extra pounds and fought at the same weight he would have he would have still fought. Going through a camp then having a chance to still have the fight and saying no is mind blowing to me.  

Did anyone go?   I watched it on my computer and the crowd seemed pretty quiet for the most part.   

The fights were definitely way more entertaining then the last time they came.   

I think the only disappointment was Cirkunov having a terrible ground game and little to no heart...  the guy won't be winning any belts any time soon.   

My favorite fight was probably Stewart and Marquez   and maybe Taleb's beautiful knockout...   all around it was a great night of fights. 

The crowd was small (8.5k) but it was loud in the arena.

Misha is excellent on the ground  (at least his top game is) but I agree about the heart.  He fought the choke but made no attempt to get out of back mount.

I think Bamgbose had the worst showing... danced around for the entire 1st round and then got face planted quickly in the 2nd.

7 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The crowd was small (8.5k) but it was loud in the arena.

Misha is excellent on the ground  (at least his top game is) but I agree about the heart.  He fought the choke but made no attempt to get out of back mount.

I think Bamgbose had the worst showing... danced around for the entire 1st round and then got face planted quickly in the 2nd.

Wow only 8500?   I wonder if the number was down because of the time of the year,   because of the dull showing from the last show,  or because interest in the UFC is fading?   The card had some decent names on it...

On the tv you could hear the corner for Bamgbose telling him to push the action and to stop being so passive.... the moment he listened to his corner he gets clipped and then  a massive knee to the face...

I think multiple factors played into the crowd size - the last card here,  time of year and the fact it was a free card you could watch from home.  Over-saturation could also be a factor because the TV ratings were not great either.

Herb was warning both guys about timidity... Dan Miragliotta was saying he would have taken a point if he had been in there, because it was so bad.  It was just a weird fight for Bamgbose, because he's usually much more explosive than that.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:54 PM, wbbfan said:

On bloody elbow they said it was all elliot declining the fight as a catch weight. Iirc they offered him full purse plus half. 

I dont understand that move. Years back at the amateur level when cutting wasnt wide spread (in some combat sports, it seems to have allways been present in wrestling) I could understand it. Facing a guy who is legitimately 2 divisions above you is a terrible idea. But in the modern era with every one cuttting, its strange to me. If he made the extra pounds and fought at the same weight he would have he would have still fought. Going through a camp then having a chance to still have the fight and saying no is mind blowing to me.  

yea me too.. plus his own purse  plus half of Mengas?  thats substantial..  can't believe he wouldn't go for it.

38 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The buy rates were not as high as Dana White originally claimed (shocking),   but it definitely did very good business.     I wonder if anyone else in the UFC roster still has enough star power to even come close to getting that kind of revenue. 

4.3 million buys in the US.  So it certainly does make Dana's claims of 6.7 million world wide hard to come by.  Over 5 million for sure, but not nearly 7.

Mayweather in UFC against the right opponent maybe gets you a record buy for UFC but not going to beat what M vs M got.  GSP maybe is the best option.  As soon as Mayweather loses though, his drawing power in UFC is way down, certainly far less than what they'd be paying him.  A multi fight deal for Mayweather in UFC would likely have to be heavily tied to percentages and he's not going to do that. 

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sounds like Mayweather and UFC are talking a deal.  $1 billion for 4 fights.  Yowza.

Showtime Sports announced revenue for Mayweather vs Mcgregor at over $600 million.  So in one night made more than UFC does in 11 months

I have trouble imagining that working out. first fight, he loses every one goes oh right durr. And the sales plummet. Only way he wins is if they give him the cm punk treatment and dig up a lowbie, and one thats a puncher at that. That said Id pay to watch him get smacked around. There is a particular face a person gets, an Oh $^&* moment. Happens the first time some one gets rocked with a head shot, a liver/body shot, a leg kick and put in a choke. The choke is easily the scariest of em all. No doubt hes gone through the head and body shot early in his younger days of training. I also dont doubt he would get some decent ground coach in who'd push his comfort level. But leg kicks are risky, I could see him not taking a hard leg kick in training. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

4.3 million buys in the US.  So it certainly does make Dana's claims of 6.7 million world wide hard to come by.  Over 5 million for sure, but not nearly 7.

Mayweather in UFC against the right opponent maybe gets you a record buy for UFC but not going to beat what M vs M got.  GSP maybe is the best option.  As soon as Mayweather loses though, his drawing power in UFC is way down, certainly far less than what they'd be paying him.  A multi fight deal for Mayweather in UFC would likely have to be heavily tied to percentages and he's not going to do that. 

In this day and age you should not trust any ones alleged ppv buys, box office $, dvd/book sales etc. Its all far too fudged. 

Some stuff the foreign market is drastically bigger then the us. Movies, like transformers for instance have made huge bank in china alone.  That said mma isnt a draw like that atm in china. All I know and trust is, that ppv made a crap tillion dollars for a few guys. And the bald one makes most bad politicians look trust worthy. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

In this day and age you should not trust any ones alleged ppv buys, box office $, dvd/book sales etc. Its all far too fudged. 

Some stuff the foreign market is drastically bigger then the us. Movies, like transformers for instance have made huge bank in china alone.  That said mma isnt a draw like that atm in china. All I know and trust is, that ppv made a crap tillion dollars for a few guys. And the bald one makes most bad politicians look trust worthy. 

Those are Meltzer’s numbers which are just about as good as it gets for this kind of thing although he was reporting the Showtime numbers so who knows Lol

So gabi garcia is supposed to fight another old lady. A former JJ world champ, aged 53. Who hasnt fought in 17 years. Problem is, gabi garcia missed weight. Allegedly by over 26 pounds. Though gabi claims it was by just 8.8 lbs. Despite all this the fight has not yet been cancelled. Cus japan. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/28/16825734/gabi-garcia-badly-misses-weight-rizin-fight-with-53-year-old-shinobu-kandori

Im ready for MMA to move on from freak show exhibits. I really am. I know japan never will, they love stuff like this. But I hope in the future we see bellator and especially the ufc move away from silly stuff. 

34 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

So gabi garcia is supposed to fight another old lady. A former JJ world champ, aged 53. Who hasnt fought in 17 years. Problem is, gabi garcia missed weight. Allegedly by over 26 pounds. Though gabi claims it was by just 8.8 lbs. Despite all this the fight has not yet been cancelled. Cus japan. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/28/16825734/gabi-garcia-badly-misses-weight-rizin-fight-with-53-year-old-shinobu-kandori

Im ready for MMA to move on from freak show exhibits. I really am. I know japan never will, they love stuff like this. But I hope in the future we see bellator and especially the ufc move away from silly stuff. 

26 lbs?!  did she even try to cut weight?? I mean even 9 lbs is a ridiculous amount to miss weigh in by..  what  a joke.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

26 lbs?!  did she even try to cut weight?? I mean even 9 lbs is a ridiculous amount to miss weigh in by..  what  a joke.

No kidding. She cuts from a huge weight. But still. Even jonny hendricks shakes his head at that.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Why not at this point have Garcia against a dude? 

I could see rizin working towards that. But keep in mind she looks like a poor mans bob sapp against 50+ year old women who have been out of fighting for years while walking in like 50 lbs heavier. What guy could they toss in against her? Mighty mouse?

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

No kidding. She cuts from a huge weight. But still. Even jonny hendricks shakes his head at that.

I could see rizin working towards that. But keep in mind she looks like a poor mans bob sapp against 50+ year old women who have been out of fighting for years while walking in like 50 lbs heavier. What guy could they toss in against her? Mighty mouse?

I'd have to assume they would need to find a like sized guy stature wise but maybe not so built muscle wise to off-set the guy versus girl scenario..  at least to make it "fair" lol.

I just can't believe a pro fighter at this stage of her career would be so "whatevs" about the weight cut.  where's her head at.

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Even better idea... have Bob Sapp take a dive against her!