UFC

Goalie

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

If anyone still had thoughts of Fedor finally signing with the UFC, his fight today against Fabio Maldonado should put those to rest.

It will go down in the books as a win for him but it would have been a 1st round TKO loss had the fight been anywhere but Russia. Suspect reffing and judging.

This year will be remember for a few really good cards and tilts. Especially up sets. Luckily it wont be remember for some of the the worst fights/decisions in history. This year there have been some awful awful decisions and fights. Just 1919 black sox level of bad.

I could see Fedor fighting in the UFC.... however his days of having any leverage or big pay days are long gone (at least in North America). 

At this point I don't even really care to see him fight anymore.   Same goes with guys like Hendo.... no business fighting anymore. 

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

I could see Fedor fighting in the UFC.... however his days of having any leverage or big pay days are long gone (at least in North America). 

At this point I don't even really care to see him fight anymore.   Same goes with guys like Hendo.... no business fighting anymore. 

yeah hes a side show attraction now. A has been. It pains me to see some old guys still try n fight.

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

thats crazy. Im betting dana and joe rogan are gone.

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats crazy. Im betting dana and joe rogan are gone.

Surprisingly at least one of the groups bidding want to keep Dana as the figurehead.   They are reportedly even willing to give him a percentage of the company rather than jus to have him as an employee. 

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Surprisingly at least one of the groups bidding want to keep Dana as the figurehead.   They are reportedly even willing to give him a percentage of the company rather than jus to have him as an employee. 

I don't see why they would let go of Rogan  ,   he's a known personality and a decent ambassador for the brand and sport.

Dana White on the other hand.... completely unprofessional and an easy upgrade if they found any other normal person to run the show.  

17 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I dont think there is any chance dana stays to be a figure head. His ego is far too great for that.

13 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't see why they would let go of Rogan  ,   he's a known personality and a decent ambassador for the brand and sport.

Dana White on the other hand.... completely unprofessional and an easy upgrade if they found any other normal person to run the show.  

Joe rogan is only staying in place if the same owners and management stays in place. He had actually left the ufc gig when dana and co took over. He stays on as a favor to them. Much prefers to do his fight companion. He's been pretty forward about it. They sell he goes. Too bad mauro has a job with the wwe now. Having fight companion and mauro/bas at the event would be amazing.

Bas is useless these days... he was more amusing in Pride since things were more wacky back then and his ppv pranks he pulled were hilarious.

Mauro would be good if he cut down the cheesy one liners...  

The best team they have now is Anik and Stann.   Stann is definitely the best guy they have at this point and I hope he stays on.

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Bas is useless these days... he was more amusing in Pride since things were more wacky back then and his ppv pranks he pulled were hilarious.

Mauro would be good if he cut down the cheesy one liners...  

The best team they have now is Anik and Stann.   Stann is definitely the best guy they have at this point and I hope he stays on.

their podcast and break downs are still exceptional. Stann and anik are pure vanilla. Bas has some of the best insight on striking in the world.

CM Punk to debut in UFC September 10th

By Dave Meltzer | @davemeltzerWON | Jun 23, 2016 1:59 am

Wrestling Observer:

C.M. Punk announced tonight that he would be debuting in UFC on 9/10 against Mickey Gall.

Punk said he had just gotten clearance to train after back surgery and would debut on the UFC 203 show in Cleveland, which is headlined by Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem for the UFC heavyweight title.

The fight would be nearly two years since Punk signed with UFC, a time table far longer than expected, with delays due to trainer Duke Roufas not wanting him to fight too early, as well as due to shoulder and back injuries, both of  which date back to his days as a pro wrestler.

That's assuming that he does a full camp like a real fighter would.  Wouldn't be surprised if they eased up on the intensity, just so Punk could make it to fight day, given his history of injuries.

If/when he does fight, he'll be a one fight wonder... too old, too beat-up, too raw. 

21 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That's assuming that he does a full camp like a real fighter would.  Wouldn't be surprised if they eased up on the intensity, just so Punk could make it to fight day, given his history of injuries.

If/when he does fight, he'll be a one fight wonder... too old, too beat-up, too raw. 

No doubts... maybe he could of had a few fights in Bellator against complete jobbers... but in the UFC they can only protect him so much.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its a dream gig for Punk.  And for UFC, they see the value in his star appeal.  Ofcourse, it would have been a lot better had it not taken this long.  Punk will be one and done.

Its a dream gig for basically every one in the ufc. He doesnt have the appeal that brings in ppv buys like brock. If they brought some twitter boob gamer in they wouldnt see any fluctuation either in spite of having more fb/twitter/etc followers then every one in the ufc combined.

I doubt he ever fights. 

15 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its a dream gig for basically every one in the ufc. He doesnt have the appeal that brings in ppv buys like brock. If they brought some twitter boob gamer in they wouldnt see any fluctuation either in spite of having more fb/twitter/etc followers then every one in the ufc combined.

I doubt he ever fights. 

He did have the appeal when he left WWE.  But I agree its taken too long.  However, they are smart with the timing now because I assume they will heavily promote this at UFC200 so the Brock wrestling fans will all see it.

36 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He did have the appeal when he left WWE.  But I agree its taken too long.  However, they are smart with the timing now because I assume they will heavily promote this at UFC200 so the Brock wrestling fans will all see it.

I dont think he would have or will bring in any big shift in PPV buys.  People tune in to see brock because hes a massive musclebound freak athlete in the power division. Not because he was a wrassler.

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I dont think he would have or will bring in any big shift in PPV buys.  People tune in to see brock because hes a massive musclebound freak athlete in the power division. Not because he was a wrassler.

Brock brought new fans to UFC.  In fact, it's really a little-talked about part of UFC's past that they owe a big thank you to WWE for allowing TUF to follow RAW. 

In the past UFC has been reluctant to sign fighters with star appeal but no credible fighting ability.  But in today's market, they need as many marketable fighters as possible.  And Punk is marketable, has a fan base, knows how to talk and promote.  Will he bring in a ton of viewers?  Probably not.  Will he bring in some?  Certainly.

23 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its a dream gig for Punk.  And for UFC, they see the value in his star appeal.  Ofcourse, it would have been a lot better had it not taken this long.  Punk will be one and done.

Everyone knew Brock Lesnar from just past the attitude era when wrestling was popular.   Not to mention he is a genetic freak and did other things such as trying out for the NFL so he had broad appeal.

CM Punk....  I think he brings as many new fans to MMA as James Toney did.....  a few curious onlookers and nothing more.   The average person has no clue who he is.   I don't think any wrestler going into MMA now for the first time would really make any sort of impact for PPV buys.   WWE doesn't have any young guys who are massively popular outside of wrestling.   

Edited by Brandon

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Everyone knew Brock Lesnar from just past the attitude era when wrestling was popular.   Not to mention he is a genetic freak and did other things such as trying out for the NFL so he had broad appeal.

CM Punk....  I think he brings as many new fans to MMA as James Toney did.....  a few curious onlookers and nothing more.   The average person has no clue who he is.   I don't think any wrestler going into MMA now for the first time would really make any sort of impact for PPV buys.   WWE doesn't have any young guys who are massively popular outside of wrestling.   

UFC didnt sign CM Punk because he was the next great fighter or because of his impressive fighting record.  They signed him because he was CM Punk, one of the top stars of WWE.  The intent was to lure in new fans or those so-so fans that like wrestling and only occasionally buy UFC shows. 

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

UFC didnt sign CM Punk because he was the next great fighter or because of his impressive fighting record.  They signed him because he was CM Punk, one of the top stars of WWE.  The intent was to lure in new fans or those so-so fans that like wrestling and only occasionally buy UFC shows. 

But how many 12 year old boys really are going to order UFC ppvs?   :ph34r:

It was a weak attempt to get viewers that clearly wont work.   Its as bad as the James Toney ppv where they dropped a tonne of cash on a washed up has been which in the end didn't even increase the ppv buys.

The only guys who will push the ppv sales will be the guys who have mass appeal...  Kimbo Slice was a good example...

Edited by Brandon