Random News Items

Rich

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I read that this morning. This is troubling and disappointing. I love the development downtown but hope it's sustainable.

This one should be okay in the end. SkyCity on the other hand....

They have been talking about this development for years. The longer it went on the chances it would come to fruition became less & less.

• Rich unlocked this topic
On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

They have been talking about this development for years. The longer it went on the chances it would come to fruition became less & less.

It's still possible that it eventually gets built but... I've kind of said all along that I put those chances at less than 50 percent because the group that proposed it has a history of not having the money 

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I love this stuff

Pretty cool.  It's interesting that they are so close to the star that they may be tidally locked like the moon is to the Earth.... meaning the same side always faces the star.  I think that would kinda throw out any concept of livability as one side would always be hot and the other would always be cold.  But maybe not.  Nice discovery.  I wish I could live long enough that we could send some kind of probe there.

14 hours ago, iHeart said:

does this mean Popeyes Chicken will finally come to Winnipeg?

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Popeyes-Louisiana-Kitchen/108105082555182?source=whrt&position=9&trqid=6390077361835180357

but then again even if they do they'll probably be in the tuxedo or Kenaston area

The Skyscraper Forums indicate there is a master franchisee locked up for Winnipeg and they've been exploring coming here since last year.  So...yes!

14 hours ago, iHeart said:

does this mean Popeyes Chicken will finally come to Winnipeg?

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Popeyes-Louisiana-Kitchen/108105082555182?source=whrt&position=9&trqid=6390077361835180357

but then again even if they do they'll probably be in the tuxedo or Kenaston area

Or Transcona... we seems to get a lot of franchises opening their first locations out here (Wild Wing, Famous Dave's, 5 Guys, Mary Browns'). 

Either way, I'm there if they open one!

8 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Or Transcona... we seems to get a lot of franchises opening their first locations out here (Wild Wing, Famous Dave's, 5 Guys, Mary Browns'). 

Either way, I'm there if they open one!

well they have torn down the very first mcdonalds in winnipeg that was a Car World for several years, it would make a fine location

13 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did their brand of comedy just not translate to the US?  Speculation of a bidding war between Sportsnet and TSN for their services. 

Here's a quote from the Toronto Star:

FS1 has moved toward more opinionated hosts debating topics, and Onrait and O’Toole’s humorous take didn’t fit in with that plan.

Everything has to be adversarial to get the ratings it seems.

20 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Did their brand of comedy just not translate to the US?  Speculation of a bidding war between Sportsnet and TSN for their services. 

I've always been a big fan of Jay and Dan... disappointed when they left... I think a part of the problem with their "comedy" is at TSN it happened very organically and you could tell there was a natural rapport... so trying to translate some of their bits to a new market and new culture just didn't go over well...

but like @Atomic said, ESPN is still beating up FS1... and like @Jacquie said, they apparently need to be controversial or adversarial to get ratings... which is why they hired former ESPN employees like Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless (no idea how this clown gets ratings), and Jason Whitlock...