Random News Items

Rich

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is as random as it gets but I stumbled across this tweet today. I was fortunate to have visited the experience before it closed. Anyone else? It was really really great. 

I saw it in Jan 08, shortly before it closed. I enjoyed it, thought it was neat. But it was sparsely attended so I wasn't too surprised when it got shut down. I wonder if the fact that it was based in the Hilton which was off the strip (but on the monorail line) affected the walkups. I'm a hardcore trekkie so I was going whether I had to walk, taxi or hop on one foot. The casual tourist who might wander in probably wouldn't have gone out of their way. Of course 2008 was sort of  a nadir for interest in Star Trek. Even if it stuck around they may have updated it to the Abrams universe, which I don't think I'd enjoy too much.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

There were rumours going around that he would have got part ownership in the team to come back and coach.    Is a guaranteed $100M a better deal then an ownership stake?

I think the NFL franchises are overvalued, so I would say, "yes". I guess we'll see what Carolina goes for but there are not a lot of "new" markets that you can pit your local governments against for leverage.

And, he'll probably be fired in three years, so he'll start collecting a second paycheque after that.

EDIT: Sounds like (from Hacksaw on TSN 1290) that $100M is not all cash and may include partial ownership.

Edited by JCon

@Brandon Blue&Gold Maybe it was the time of year you visited.  I went in August 2008 and it was busy.  Not crazy busy (like we didnt wait in a huge line, just a short line).  I do suspect lowering attendance is why it was cancelled.  Their costs must have been high with the cast and effects.  I thought it was wildly cool and entertaining.  We ate at Quarks after and it was jam packed with people.  It closed Sept 1st so it being busy when I was there might have been due to the impending closure and people checking it out.

We took the monorail since we wanted to experience that as well, so killed two birds (and we were staying South Strip so it made sense).

It was originally slated to re-locate to the Neonopolis (downtown) in time for the film in 2009.  But it was eventually cancelled instead.  The speculation is that Bad Robot was upset at CBS for marketing other Star Trek's and wanted everyone focused on the "new" Trek.

I really thought the technology of the "rides" were impressive.  Hopefully it re-launches eventually.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

@Brandon Blue&Gold Maybe it was the time of year you visited.  I went in August 2008 and it was busy.  Not crazy busy (like we didnt wait in a huge line, just a short line).  I do suspect lowering attendance is why it was cancelled.  Their costs must have been high with the cast and effects.  I thought it was wildly cool and entertaining.  We ate at Quarks after and it was jam packed with people.  It closed Sept 1st so it being busy when I was there might have been due to the impending closure and people checking it out.

We took the monorail since we wanted to experience that as well, so killed two birds (and we were staying South Strip so it made sense).

It was originally slated to re-locate to the Neonopolis (downtown) in time for the film in 2009.  But it was eventually cancelled instead.  The speculation is that Bad Robot was upset at CBS for marketing other Star Trek's and wanted everyone focused on the "new" Trek.

I really thought the technology of the "rides" were impressive.  Hopefully it re-launches eventually.

I went a day after New Years Day. Everyone was probably flying out that day after a crowded NYE I imagine. So probably a dead day by Vegas standards true enough.

1 hour ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I saw it in Jan 08, shortly before it closed. I enjoyed it, thought it was neat. But it was sparsely attended so I wasn't too surprised when it got shut down. I wonder if the fact that it was based in the Hilton which was off the strip (but on the monorail line) affected the walkups. I'm a hardcore trekkie so I was going whether I had to walk, taxi or hop on one foot. The casual tourist who might wander in probably wouldn't have gone out of their way. Of course 2008 was sort of  a nadir for interest in Star Trek. Even if it stuck around they may have updated it to the Abrams universe, which I don't think I'd enjoy too much.

If you were, you would be a trekker!

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

One of the better restaurants in Brandon. And they're getting some free advertising from this story so good on them. I'm not a beer snob but I enjoy trying new beers, especially if they're locally brewed. Bud Light would be my last choice if I'm at a place with a decent selection of beers on tap. 

ladies and gentlemen, your United States of America, greatest country in the world!

DETROIT (Reuters) - The warehouse of a Michigan man who sold donated body parts to researchers was littered with dead flies, dog bowls and human remains “frozen together in flesh-on-flesh chunks,” a federal agent testified Friday.

The grisly description came during the opening day in the federal trial of businessman Arthur Rathburn, who sold or leased donated body parts, including human heads, to medical researchers for two decades.

The buying and selling of body parts for research and education is legal under U.S. law, which does not govern the industry. Current regulations only cover body parts intended for transplant, such as hearts and livers.

Rathburn, however, is charged with defrauding customers by selling them body parts infected with hepatitis and HIV, and with lying to federal agents about shipments.

During opening statements, Assistant U.S. Attorney John Neal told jurors that human remains were stored so haphazardly that Rathburn needed a crowbar to separate frozen parts. Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Leslie Larson testified that during the 2013 search

Yahoo news

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Haven't read this yet but looking at the headline, I should probably be happy that my "fertility" days are behind me.

Apparently pregnant women taking it can decrease babies testicles.  They expanded that study, very small sample size, but men taking it every day showed irregularities.  They think it could have an effect on fertility over long periods of use.

I never use it.  My go-to is Naproxen unless its severe in which case I become a Perc junkie ;-)

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Apparently pregnant women taking it can decrease babies testicles.  They expanded that study, very small sample size, but men taking it every day showed irregularities.  They think it could have an effect on fertility over long periods of use.

I never use it.  My go-to is Naproxen unless its severe in which case I become a Perc junkie ;-)

I remember my boss, in a former life, who was also a medical doctor, refused to take ibuprofen, so that should have been a sign.

Only time I take pain meds is for headaches and I take what's around. Switched to Tylenol a few years ago but never experienced issues with ibuprofen.

I'm lucky to have avoided chronic pain in my life so far. Of course, I've never had to take any bumps either.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I remember my boss, in a former life, who was also a medical doctor, refused to take ibuprofen, so that should have been a sign.

Only time I take pain meds is for headaches and I take what's around. Switched to Tylenol a few years ago but never experienced issues with ibuprofen.

I'm lucky to have avoided chronic pain in my life so far. Of course, I've never had to take any bumps either.

I try to avoid taking anything.  But if I get a bad headache or my knee (broke it in half years ago) flares up, Naproxen works best for me.  I joke about Percs.  But I was given them for the first time when I broke my heel or knee (cant remember which) and it was like a magical pill.  Hospitals seem to horde them though, for good reason.  But one time, I had an ear infection so bad, it was swollen closed and I kept getting brushed off at the local ER, I finally got a doc who felt sorry for me and gave me Percs.  For an ear infection!  I think I took two or three over the day or two it was bad and kept the rest for "emergencies".

Which only happens when I ill-advisedly put my old ass in the ring for a match or something.  Then I need a perc or two.  ;-)   Never felt an addictive pull with them either, just enjoy the sweet sweet feeling that comes with them.  lol