Random News Items

Rich

16 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So....a call centre?

Yes, but a pretty large one and I believe its an additional 500 person call centre, not moving people from their other locations (I could be wrong though).  But 500 people (plus management etc) is a good number of people to feed the local retail and restaurants every day.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'll take a call center over nothing...    the building is such an odd layout that it really limited the options for big box retailers wanting to move in.  

Don't forget that they are adding another building in front of it now which is probably the call center.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

Amazon has short listed 20 cities for their 2nd HQ.   Toronto is the only Canadian city to make the cut. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/18/amazon-reveals-top-20-city-candidates-for-its-second-hq/

The 2 that are interesting are the no-name ones - Montgomery County, MD and Northern Virginia, VA.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'll take a call center over nothing...    the building is such an odd layout that it really limited the options for big box retailers wanting to move in.  

They’re building a new entrance. It’s quite large. To allow entry of the different businesses.  

I know there was a thought Lowes might be interested but with the building being on the second floor, it didn’t have the correct weight allowance for a big hardware story.

a terrible scenario.  Amazing they found anyone to take the space. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They’re building a new entrance. It’s quite large. To allow entry of the different businesses. 

q45FIGR.jpg

They adding on to the south side of it and I guess the employees(= of the 3 businesses can use the underground parking.

An elevated Target, ******* stupid design.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I know there was a thought Lowes might be interested but with the building being on the second floor, it didn’t have the correct weight allowance for a big hardware story.

a terrible scenario.  Amazing they found anyone to take the space. 

I couldn't imagine customers buying large and long objects and then having to somehow maneuver them down an escalator to take it to the car. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I couldn't imagine customers buying large and long objects and then having to somehow maneuver them down an escalator to take it to the car. 

Exactly! I assume target had an elevator for their own use. I never went so I don’t know if there was one for consumer use. 

Doesn’t homesense sell larger items too?  

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Exactly! I assume target had an elevator for their own use. I never went so I don’t know if there was one for consumer use. 

Doesn’t homesense sell larger items too?  

I only went once during the clearence sale.   From my memory which of course is fuzzy... the entrance reminded me alot like Ikea with very long escalators and a couple of over-sized elevators.  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I only went once during the clearence sale.   From my memory which of course is fuzzy... the entrance reminded me alot like Ikea with very long escalators and a couple of over-sized elevators.  

Speaking of IKEA, I have not been there lately but have they fixed the entrance so that the main floor looks accessible now or is it still behind 2 plain closed doors?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

15 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is a big talking point among tourists especially as the violence began to creep into the tourist areas more and more.  Although my experience was a good one (there were many soldiers driving around).  But they have to get it under control or it will impact their tourist trade.   Jamaica too, just issued a state of emergency for Montego Bay

AUSTIN — A trio of monster hurricanes and a ferocious wildfire season led to the costliest year for natural disasters on record in the U.S. in 2017, with nearly a third of a trillion dollars in damage, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced Monday.

The U.S. endured 16 separate weather and climate disasters with losses that each exceeded $1 billion last year, with total costs of about $306 billion, a new record for the country. It broke the previous record set in 2005, when Hurricane Katrina and other disasters caused $215 billion in damage to the U.S.

Last year's disasters killed 362 people in the U.S., including Puerto Rico,

usatoday

Build a wall, to keep out unwanted hurricanes!

Edited by Mark F

Oscar noms.

Best Picture

Call Me By Your Name
    Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Get Out
    Lady Bird
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    The Shape of Water
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Lead Actor

Timothée Chalamet, Call Me by Your Name
    Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
    Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
    Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
    Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Lead Actress

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
    Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
    Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
    Meryl Streep, The Post

Supporting Actress

Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
    Allison Janney, I, Tonya
    Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
    Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
    Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water