Random News Items

Rich

I suspect work will happen rather quickly, especially with the Kenaston widening.  I dont think the local community will have much luck in fighting the development.  Sure, they will be scared about the idea of an "Urban Reserve" without having a clue what it means.

Treaty One isnt going to just erect a half assed gas station and smoke shop on 65 hectares of land in a prime location.  They will bring in some significant developers.  And as others said, unless you know the land is owned by Treat One, you wont know its anything but another area in the city.

I'd expect Winnipeg to move very quickly on acquiring the land they need as they've had their plan for Kenaston ready for awhile.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

My prediction.... a massive dollarama,  money mart,  giant tiger,  sals,  7-11,  and another subway for good measure.  

I'm shocked there isn't a dollarama out there (don't get me wrong I've been in the area several times) or a giant tiger even

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup, city will likely move quickly to get Kenaston done.

Did you see the estimate on this project? Who's got $500M to put into this project?? I don't see Kenaston happening for a while. Time to move tractors to the Perimeter where the infrastructure is better suited. 

Edited by JCon

10 hours ago, JCon said:

Did you see the estimate on this project? Who's got $500M to put into this project?? I don't see Kenaston happening for a while. Time to move tractors to the Perimeter where the infrastructure is better suited. 

I agree they should move the big rigs to the perimeter and the province should quickly get to fixing it (adding inter-changes at St Mary's & St Annes for example).  But I bet we see Kenaston announced sooner than later.  Havent they already started some of the work clearing houses?

33 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree they should move the big rigs to the perimeter and the province should quickly get to fixing it (adding inter-changes at St Mary's & St Annes for example).  But I bet we see Kenaston announced sooner than later.  Havent they already started some of the work clearing houses?

Yes and no. Yes, there are houses being cleared but those had not been maintained and needed to come down. Everything is pointed towards widening Kenaston but there's no "official" plan on the table. 

Here's a link the the Route 90 Improvements Study. This is an unfunded major capital project. 

From the FAQ: 

7. When will construction take place?

Construction on Route 90 would begin only after preliminary design is complete, and City Council has approved the project and funds for a detailed design and construction.

They expect to hold Open Houses in June 2018, per the timeline (in the link). 

Seven inmates are dead and 17 are injured after the worst US prison riot for 25 years.

Prisoners armed with homemade knives fought each other for about seven hours over territory and money at the Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, South Carolina.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seven-inmates-dead-17-injured-deadliest-us-prison-riot-25-years-072413710.html

horrifying.

At the link is video from inside the plane.  Crazy story.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/04/17/southwest-flight-passenger-todd-dnt-tsr.cnn/video/playlists/southwest-airline-deadly-emergency-landing/

Sounds like metal fatigue resulted in engine explosion.  Debris strikes a window which shatters and a passenger sitting there is sucked out the hole up to her waist.  Her seat mates grab on and struggle to hold her.  Finally two guys are able to pull her back in but she died.

The first post I made about it above had the audio of the Captain and ATC.  Interesting side note is the Captain is a female pilot, formerly of the US Military.  Very very calm.

Always wear your seat belts folks.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/04/17/southwest-flight-passenger-todd-dnt-tsr.cnn/video/playlists/southwest-airline-deadly-emergency-landing/

Sounds like metal fatigue resulted in engine explosion.  Debris strikes a window which shatters and a passenger sitting there is sucked out the hole up to her waist.  Her seat mates grab on and struggle to hold her.  Finally two guys are able to pull her back in but she died.

The first post I made about it above had the audio of the Captain and ATC.  Interesting side note is the Captain is a female pilot, formerly of the US Military.  Very very calm.

I believe the pilot was the first female F-18 in the US military. 

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Truth!

I'm a big fan of Mayday Air Crash Investigation, I watched an episode not too long ago were they lost the front window of a DC-10 and the pilot got sucked out flying  800 km/hr at 23,000 ft. only to catch the leading edge of the canopy with his lower legs which the First Officer grabbed hold of.  He was beaten like a rag-doll and lost consciousness but miraculously survived an emergency landing draped backwards over the top of the canopy. 

Flight-5390-2.jpg?resize=400,246

Another one, an Aloha Airlines flight lost the skin covering the entire business class section shortly after take off from Maui but managed to turn around and land safely with only one soul lost.

aloha%201.jpg

maxresdefault-17.jpg

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Truth!

I'm a big fan of Mayday Air Crash Investigation, I watched an episode not too long ago were they lost the front window of a DC-10 and the pilot got sucked out flying  800 km/hr at 23,000 ft. only to catch the leading edge of the canopy with his lower legs which the First Officer grabbed hold of.  He was beaten like a rag-doll and lost consciousness but miraculously survived an emergency landing draped backwards over the top of the canopy. 

Flight-5390-2.jpg?resize=400,246

Another one, an Aloha Airlines flight lost the skin covering the entire business class section shortly after take off from Maui but managed to turn around and land safely with only one soul lost.

aloha%201.jpg

maxresdefault-17.jpg

Im a big fan of the series too.

The Hawaiian flight was truly remarkable.  I believe the one fatality was a flight attendant who was walking through the passenger area.  Everyone else was buckled in and survived.  Truly amazing.

This is really something.  It’s noted in the story that they were in jail for several hours and released after midnight when the DA declined to prosecute. What the heck was the charge?? Not buying a Latte?

Terrible.  And huge thumbs up to these two guys for handling the situation in a very calm manner. More calm than I’d have been. They are going to be very good spokespeople for change.