Random News Items

Rich

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

My experience has been the same the few times I've been in there at night.  I guess it might depend on what they mean when they say they "see" one patient an hour on average.  Does that mean that's how many people come through the doors or the rate people are seen by the doctor?  If it's the latter, then that I can believe!

Thats a good point.  Or one person comes in per hour but by dawn there are 20 patients waiting to be seen.

Id love to know what the doctor does back there to see patients so infrequently.  Because my experience has been you get maybe 5 minutes with a doctor. So I assume has to write up some info in your file.  But even if every patient got one hour with the doc (visit and paper work), that doesn't jive with the reality of waiting several hours to every single ER/Urgent Care in this city.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:03 PM, Mark F said:

I thought I had this problem ( do not) so got tested for it.

they connect many, probably more than 15 wires to different parts of your body, (just contact) and then do some tests. (your supposed to attempt to sleep)

then, put the breathing unit/apparatus on to see how that worked.  It steadily forces air into your nose or mouth or both can't remember.

there is always slight inwards air pressure. so exhaling requires effort.

Did not like that feeling at all.

I was a sufferer and referred for the testing but ended up not going.  I knew exactly what my problem was.  a 20 lb swing in weight meant the difference between breathing and not breathing.  Lost weight and now sleep like a baby, no snoring or anything.

Although I have also suffered sleep paralysis/night terrors on and off since I was a child.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

I was a sufferer and referred for the testing but ended up not going.  I knew exactly what my problem was.  a 20 lb swing in weight meant the difference between breathing and not breathing.  Lost weight and now sleep like a baby, no snoring or anything.

Although I have also suffered sleep paralysis/night terrors on and off since I was a child.

We're Bomber fans. We've all experienced night terrors like  you did over the years.

On 2017-6-24 at 5:53 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Have some great memories. I wonder what the landlord wants to do with the building. Condos?

That's too bad, I won many tournaments there as a teen against adults, was a good way to make $ as a kid, so I have fond memories of the place even though I spent my YBC at Windsor Lanes, and "super" leagues at Hi-way Lanes (former Chalmers lanes) and Dakota. 

3 minutes ago, nate007 said:

This random incident has taught us that: (a) Judy's 28 year-old son still lives at home, and (b) that she still loves getting her name in the paper.

I think on the TV he said he just came from outside the province. Something like that. Good timing as he discovered it.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

book recommendation

author:  Phillip K dyck (should be an i but censored with that spelling)

genre: sci fi.

he wrote the book that Blade runner was taken from.

title: A scanner darkly.

movie version: yes, CGI.

subject matter: set in the future, and undercover narc is living with several drug addicts hoping to get leads to the higher ups in the dealer chain.

much of the daily life of drug addicts is detailed. This aspect is autobiographical.

The narcs wear a scramble suit so that they will not be identified

"

The scramble suit was an invention of the Bell laboratories, conjured up by accident by an employee named S. A. Powers... Basically, his design consisted of a multifaceted quartz lens hooked up to a million and a half physiognomic fraction-representations of various people: men and women, children, with every variant encoded and then projected outward in all directions equally onto a superthin shroudlike membrane large enough to fit around an average human.

As the computer looped through its banks, it projected every conceivable eye color, hair color, shape and type of nose, formation of teeth, configuration of facial bone structure - the entire shroudlike membrane took on whatever physical characteristics were projected at any nanosecond, then switched to the next...

In any case, the wearer of a scramble suit was Everyman and in every combination (up to combinations of a million and a half sub-bits) during the course of each hour. Hence, any description of him - or her - was meaningless.

From A Scanner Darkly.

Brilliant book.

very funny, and very sad. and quite deep.

Edited by Mark F

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

@Mark F Never read the book but I really liked the movie.

There are audiobooks... really well done, one extremely well narrated by Paul Giammatti.

(just learned his father was a Prof at Yale, and also commissioner of major league baseball)

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Well I've never read the book but that doesn't mean I can't read!!

lol. :D

The audiobook with Giamatti, was probably better (for me) than had I read the book myself. He basically acted the roles of the different people.