Random News Items

Rich

another hurricane heading across caribbean towards fla. category 4.

Still churning hundreds of miles east of the Caribbean, Hurricane Irma is on a track that could bring it near the Leeward Islands by Wednesday and into the Eastern Bahamas by Friday. Hurricane watches were issued Sunday afternoon by the governments of Antigua, France, and the Netherlands on Sunday afternoon for the islands of Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, Saba, St. Eustatius, Sint Maarten/St. Martin, and Saint Barthelemy. With any luck, Irma’s center and its more dangerous right-hand side will stay just north of the Leewards, Puerto Rico, and Hispaniola. However, Irma is expected to be a powerhouse Category 4 hurricane by that point, so high winds, huge surf, and torrential rains could occur well away from its center. It appears increasingly likely that Irma’s wrath will be focused on parts of The Bahamas late next week, and a major hurricane landfall along the U.S. East Coast is a distinct possibility by Sunday or Monday.

What a joke.  I know the defense is "if you dont break the law you dont get a ticket".  But this perfectly illustrates why so many Winnipeggers have a problem with the traffic enforcement.  Its about MONEY not SAFETY.  And to me, that brings the entire thing into disrepute, regardless of those instances when its reasonable and/or appropriate.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Hurricane Irma intensified into an extremely dangerous high-end Category 5 storm with top sustained winds of 180 mph on Tuesday morning, putting it among the strongest Atlantic hurricanes ever observed. Irma's winds are the most powerful ever measured in an Atlantic hurricane north of the Caribbean and east of the Gulf of Mexico. Measurements from Hurricane Hunter aircraft found peak winds of close to 180 mph, well above the 157-mph threshold for Category 5 strength. At 11:07 am EDT, a dropsonde in Irma's eye measured a central pressure of 927 millibars, 4 mb lower than the previous pass, so Irma is still strengthening.

Irma radar
Edited by Mark F

27 minutes ago, Brandon said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/cathay-house-restaurant-health-violations-1.4274256

I like the following quote:

The guy sounds like a nutbar...

wow.  Considering he was fined as a result of visits in October 2016 and Feb 2017, his assertion that he "immediately corrected" the issues is dubious.  Also, if customers took food from the top of the buffet trays but the reason the food was cool was because it had been sitting, wouldn't it be hotter?  The customers were taking the "cooler" food... and he might not like it, but it IS his job to make sure the food remains hot.

What a nut.  He says his business is down 70% and he has been targeted because he sued Katz years ago.  His silly excuses wont help his cause.  Because as a consumer, I think he doesnt get it now.  So Im not confident he will have corrected his issues.

$2500 for 5 violations doesnt even sound like much to me.  Especially because they often give warnings.  Maybe if it was $10,000 he'd make sure he complied next time.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That would be an ominous update from your weather service! Yikes 

Antigua is a small flat rock.

probably averages five feet above sea level. People basically have nothing.

now they'll have less than that.

"MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Florida - Miami-Dade County will begin evacuations as early as Wednesday ahead of a possible arrival of Hurricane Irma."

what's this one going to cost.

Edited by Mark F

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lego-job-cuts-1.4275744

Lego to cut 1400 + jobs....   amid poor sales of the Lego Batman sets.     

Way to much greed on Lego these days.   I have a 5 year old who is just getting into Lego and dear lord the sets are obscenely expensive.    It's plastic molds for crying out loud,  no reason at all that a set should be 100  - 200 dollars.    I talk to so many parents and they all are willing to buy way more Lego if only the prices were 33 - 50% less.      

Edited by Brandon

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lego-job-cuts-1.4275744

Lego to cut 1400 + jobs....   amid poor sales of the Lego Batman sets.     

Way to much greed on Lego these days.   I have a 5 year old who is just getting into Lego and dear lord the sets are obscenely expensive.    It's plastic molds for crying out loud,  no reason at all that a set should be 100  - 200 dollars.    I talk to so many parents and they all are willing to buy way more Lego if only the prices were 33 - 50% less.      

Yah, Lego has become a bit of a scam since they went with the mini-blocks but they're probably paying huge licensing fees on all of these silly super-hero/Star Wars sets.  It's still a great creative toy if you can get kids past the static models.  I let my kids build the kits once then force them to disassemble and throw the pieces into a huge box with a million other pieces and hide the manuals so they have to come up with their own designs.  Works great.

8 hours ago, Mark F said:

Antigua is a small flat rock.

probably averages five feet above sea level. People basically have nothing.

now they'll have less than that.

"MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, Florida - Miami-Dade County will begin evacuations as early as Wednesday ahead of a possible arrival of Hurricane Irma."

what's this one going to cost.

Mother of god, they haven't even rebuilt New Orleans yet, these storms are going to bankrupt an already bankrupt country.  Hopefully Trump is golfing down in Mar-a-Lago when the storm surge hits!

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Please ask them for me, "what the **** is wrong with you people?"

I have.  One guy said it was "therapy".  Another said it was like any other hobby.  I said yeah but other hobbies dont cost $120 a week.  My friend just turned 41 and got a $41 lego gift card and I've never seen a man so gleeful.  He nearly cried.  Ridiculous.

Bank of Canada raises interest rate again: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-of-canada-rate-decision-1.4276837

The Bank of Canada raised its benchmark interest rate by a quarter of a point to one per cent on Wednesday.

It's the second time this year that the central bank has upped the rate, after hiking it for the first time in seven years in July.

9 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Mother of god, they haven't even rebuilt New Orleans yet, these storms are going to bankrupt an already bankrupt country.  Hopefully Trump is golfing down in Mar-a-Lago when the storm surge hits!

Well apparently he's in North Dakota today!  Ewww.... way too close for comfort.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

didn't know this.

It's pretty shocking tbh.  Plop a street view on any street in the worst hit area, looks like a warzone.

Lower 9th Ward

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I have.  One guy said it was "therapy".  Another said it was like any other hobby.  I said yeah but other hobbies dont cost $120 a week.  My friend just turned 41 and got a $41 lego gift card and I've never seen a man so gleeful.  He nearly cried.  Ridiculous.

What I can't bend my mind around is how a "man/child" ever finds women interested in dating them when they're still fascinated with dinky toys, super-hero movies and Lego?  What woman in her right mind wants to date a 12 year old???  Back in the day, the only thing young men were interested in was *****, and getting a car to pursue it with.

EDIT: Insert euphemism for "cat" above.  Damn sensors!

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What I can't bend my mind around is how a "man/child" ever finds women interested in dating them when they're still fascinated with dinky toys, super-hero movies and **** like Lego?  What woman in her right mind wants to date a 12 year old???  Back in the day, the only thing young men were interested in was *****, and getting a car to pursue it with.

I like "nerdy" things.  I like Star Wars and Marvel and Star Trek.  But I agree, the fascination with building lego is weird to me.  Its a kids toy that has been up-charged to the point grown adults think its an adult hobby.  Its putting blocks together. 

For what its worth, the guys I know into Lego are actually gay and gravitate towards each other.  So its a closed lego group that is self-supporting in many ways. lol