Wrestling

Rich

Well I'm not going to sit here and defend Roman Reigns.  He is what he is.  But NXT is just so unbelievably bland.  There is nothing to hook you in.

Slap the Summerslam label on NXT takeover and present that to the fans and everyone would be cancelling their network subscription.  It's just wrestling for the sake of wrestling.  Why should anyone care?  That's the big piece that's missing.  

Take a guy like No Way Jose and bring him up to the main roster and see how long that stupid gimmick will carry him.  It's just silly.  People like NXT because the wrestlers are fresh.  Not because they are any better than the main roster.  But because they are new.  That's really all there is, and it doesn't do anything for me.

The best guys in WWE came from NXT.  Many of them anyway.  But to each their own.

Im not sold on Black.  I know many people think he's the next Undertaker.  But when Vince sees him on RAW, he will not see him that way.   Adam Cole will have the same issue because he's small.  But he's a good worker and has some charisma.  We shall see.

Drew is going to be the guy though.

As for Roman, if they had turned him heel three years ago, he'd be the face today they have desperately tried to make him.  The weird thing about Roman vs Brock is, that has been the plan for WrestleMania since this past WM...then Vince abrubtly changed his mind and decided to go with Roman vs Brock for SummerSlam.  But Braun got hurt, so they had to elevate Joe and suddenly, you had 4 guys who were over and so he switched it to the 4 way.  Unfortunately that means they are back to Roman vs Brock for WM.  Bleh

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Well I'm not going to sit here and defend Roman Reigns.  He is what he is.  But NXT is just so unbelievably bland.  There is nothing to hook you in.

Slap the Summerslam label on NXT takeover and present that to the fans and everyone would be cancelling their network subscription.  It's just wrestling for the sake of wrestling.  Why should anyone care?  That's the big piece that's missing.  

Take a guy like No Way Jose and bring him up to the main roster and see how long that stupid gimmick will carry him.  It's just silly.  People like NXT because the wrestlers are fresh.  Not because they are any better than the main roster.  But because they are new.  That's really all there is, and it doesn't do anything for me.

Some of the WWE storylines are pretty bad but at least they're storylines. That's what NXT takeover Brooklyn was missing. 

But on a PPV... I want good wrestling matches... Its 3 or 4 hour PPV.. Give me 7 good wrestling matches. Tv? Sure use stories to build but once at the PPV... It should be all about in ring action and the in ring action at Takeover was much better. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

But on a PPV... I want good wrestling matches... Its 3 or 4 hour PPV.. Give me 7 good wrestling matches. Tv? Sure use stories to build but once at the PPV... It should be all about in ring action and the in ring action at Takeover was much better. 

We'll never agree on that. You need to weave a story to sell the characters. Right up to & including a PPV. Does the WWE always do that right? No as in Roman Reigns. I don't know a lot of the NXT wrestlers with the exception of a few. I saw a bunch of unknown (to me) men & women in bad costumes, makeup & hair cuts come out with no buildup, fly around, had no idea who they were & what they were doing there. If I had an idea of why they were wrestling one another I might be interested more in NXT. I had no idea but watched the entire PPV just out of curiosity.  Didn't really convince me to watch NXT on tv or any other PPV's.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

I agree.  I think one of the reasons the ratings have dropped so much over the last few years is the move towards the "athletic worker" matches on tv. 

Of course I love the work. But on a tv show, especially one that is 3+ hours long like RAW is, I don't want to feel like it's a weekly PPV. 

The difference between quality matches on raw and quality matches on PPV is that usually on PPV they have been built up to mean something going in and the result means something coming out. On tv it's often just guys who can work working for the sake of work. 

Id do more storylines, shorter matches. I wouldn't go as far as Russo style crash tv but I'd certainly entertain the idea. Throw more stuff st the wall. 

Oddly every so often WWE comes up with a more dramatic storyline idea, building up mystery etc and it always means more to the ratings.  Then they get away from it. 

On PPV you should be having the killer matches that pay off the build up. 

NXT certainly has storylines. But most people are watching the big events like take over and not the regular shows. So we see less of it. And nxt generally does more old school sports style rivalries. Which, in the absence of crash tv style is better than nothing. 

But nxt isn't on tv and isn't trying to garner weekly ratings. So it's purpose is different. 

Wrestling will always need stories. And has also always boasted worker matches.  Many of us grew up on 80's wwe or 90's wwe so we may not realize that Flair was working his ass off all over the world at the same time. 

Omega/Okada is the new Flair/Steamboat right down to all the criticism levelled at the former was also levelled at the latter. 

Its not a new thing.  Every era pushes the athleticism and spots to new heights. 

54 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Strictly in terms of in ring action, there were 3 matches on Summerslam better than any match on takeover - both tag title matches and the fatal four way.

I don't disagree.  But nxt is more consistent. And one could argue roode vs drew was as good as anything on summerslam. But regardless the four way was tremendous.  Nxt had less lows. But also the point of nxt is to develop talent so they shouldn't be wasting time with guys that would have poor matches. 

The majority of guys having great matches at sunmerslam came through nxt. So that means nxt is serving its intended purpose. 

Enzo moved to 205. Did I suggest that recently? I hope I did cause I was thinking it lol 

hes good for ratings and will bring some personality to the cruisers. He has nuclear heat in the back though. 

Shelton makes his long awaited return to SD.  I assume he and Gable are a short term thing. 

Roode debuts.  I believe he's 39. Never give up the dream. He's pretty short for vince but he's a solid worker and that music is gold. 

Edit: whoops he's actually 40. Also he's Canadian. And listed as 6'0". I don't know about that. Lol 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Cass' injury looks like an ACL tear and could be out NINE months.  Yikes.

Damn, that's rough.  It's an interesting time for him to leave, with how he was just starting a heel run.... I'm curious how they handle his eventual return.  He could come back as a star babyface but I don't know if that's what they want for him.

41 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Damn, that's rough.  It's an interesting time for him to leave, with how he was just starting a heel run.... I'm curious how they handle his eventual return.  He could come back as a star babyface but I don't know if that's what they want for him.

if he's out that long I pray to geebus he works on his mic skills

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

if he's out that long I pray to geebus he works on his mic skills

He needs confidence more than anything.  Being out that long probably won't help.  But luckily he is seven feet tall so he'll have lots of chances to get it right.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He needs confidence more than anything.  Being out that long probably won't help.  But luckily he is seven feet tall so he'll have lots of chances to get it right.

Well, 6'8".  lol

He's okay on the mic.  He reads his lines.  I thought he read them too stiff but I think thats how they want him reading them.  I saw someone suggest he returns under the kane mask which is so hilarious of an idea, WWE might consider it.  I kid, I kid.  Put him back with Carmella when he returns.

I'm not a huge Carmella fan but at this point she is a pretty well-established wrestler so I can't see her riding shotgun with Big Cass as a manager/valet.

Kane mask would be funny but they have to have the storyline for that.  Put him in a feud with Bray Wyatt when he comes back and have Bray burn down a house that Cass is locked inside.  Now that's wrestling!!!