Wrestling

Rich

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Seen some talk that Winnipeg's own Candice LeRae has been working NXT dark matches and could sign with WWE soon.  Would love to see her in the Rumble.

Funny you say that, I was JUST reading up on her because of that.  She's currently going through the process (medicals, reviews, etc).  I didnt realise she was from Winnipeg before today.  Looks like she broke in around 2002 (I broke in in 2001) and she did the right thing by leaving Winnipeg to train, going to Cali, and never looked back.  Good for her!

She's married to Gargano.  Unless something weird comes up, she'll sign for sure.  It can happen though.  Jazzy Gabert was also offered a contract but they found an issue on the medicals and she needs surgery and the contract was pulled.  Nothing to indicate Candice will have any issues though.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

War Machine and Ricochet are as good as signed as well.  Lots of talk of them for awhile.  Metlzer confirms they are on their way in.

One of War machine (Ray Rowe) is engaged to Sarah Logan.  Imagine how tough that long distance relationship has been.  And Ricochet is dating Tessa Blanchard who worked a lot of shots for NXT but was not signed despite being the daughter of a legend.  Speculation was she had an attitude problem but I think she might yet make it.  Teaming with Charlotte writes itself.

New Japan usually has contracts expiring end of January but I dont think anyone else there currently (other then the aforementioned) is jumping.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

War Machine and Ricochet are as good as signed as well.  Lots of talk of them for awhile.  Metlzer confirms they are on their way in.

One of War machine (Ray Rowe) is engaged to Sarah Logan.  Imagine how tough that long distance relationship has been.  And Ricochet is dating Tessa Blanchard who worked a lot of shots for NXT but was not signed despite being the daughter of a legend.  Speculation was she had an attitude problem but I think she might yet make it.  Teaming with Charlotte writes itself.

New Japan usually has contracts expiring end of January but I dont think anyone else there currently (other then the aforementioned) is jumping.

I read speculation that Carmella and Big Cass split up

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Really??  Maybe with him being hurt they've spent TOO much time together lol   It always sucks when WWE splits up couples.  Being on different shows would have made it really tough to spend much time together.

Yeah someone said she deleted all pics of him from her Instagram.  I didn't actually check.  It's pretty speculative.

Thought WK12 was fantastic. The main events, especially. It's been a long time since I've seen someone at Jericho's age put up a performance like that. Yeah, there were some spots were his age showed but he was crafty enough to hide it for the most part. Great heel performance. Slapping around Red Shoes' kid? Good stuff. Yelling "KENNEEEEEYYY!!" as he beat Omega down in the corner? Maybe my favourite moment? Anyway, if people can't see why a large segment of wrestling fans prefer the current NJPW product over anything in North America, I think you're being obtuse. Of course not every match needs to be an hour. They aren't. The reason the long matches get such high ratings is because they are typically meaningful matches held between two of the top performers in the company. No **** you're going to get a good match. And those SHOULD be long matches. Who wants to see a 12 minute blow off match that you  could fit into a segment on Smackdown?

23 minutes ago, ediger said:

Thought WK12 was fantastic. The main events, especially. It's been a long time since I've seen someone at Jericho's age put up a performance like that. Yeah, there were some spots were his age showed but he was crafty enough to hide it for the most part. Great heel performance. Slapping around Red Shoes' kid? Good stuff. Yelling "KENNEEEEEYYY!!" as he beat Omega down in the corner? Maybe my favourite moment? Anyway, if people can't see why a large segment of wrestling fans prefer the current NJPW product over anything in North America, I think you're being obtuse. Of course not every match needs to be an hour. They aren't. The reason the long matches get such high ratings is because they are typically meaningful matches held between two of the top performers in the company. No **** you're going to get a good match. And those SHOULD be long matches. Who wants to see a 12 minute blow off match that you  could fit into a segment on Smackdown?

Well that was a little unnecessary.  I think you missed my point entirely.

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

Does anyone know who outlaw Adam Knight is? because his twitter claims he's a pro wrestler. I'm just asking because he liked my tweet

Yes he’s a pro wrestler from Winnipeg. Wrestled for me for many years.  Had a WWE try out in 2005. Has a few matches in Japan. 

Mess our heavyweight champion. Worked Samoa Joe for us in 2007 (I think).

been around awhile!

Video was pretty funny.  Winnipeg is dark and cold in January.  Was it dark yesterday?  Maybe when you go plane - bus - hotel - bus - arena, you dont see much of the out doors.  They stay at the Fairmont so I can't feel too sorry for them but if the hotel doesnt have good wifi, I wouldnt be surprised.  Maybe the local San Joe cell provider doesnt have a roaming agreement in Manitoba. 

The good thing about Jets in the playoffs, lets get to the final so opposing players arrive in parkas and become dehydrated when its 25 degrees.

you guys know your in the wrestling thread right?

Has anyone seen a show called The Wrestlers on Vice ? They played a few episodes last night, first one I caught was on Mexicans/Luchadores trying to break into the US market but also life in mexico as one goes...  1 part I thought was cool was in Tijuana they have a Lucha stoplight. Like the way we have pan handlers or people who wash your headlights,  but its a couple of guys who bust out ladders and chairs and start doing flips n beating each other during the red light for change.  guys ended up getting spotted by Konnan and put on whatever promotion he was running out there at the time (Crash Wrestling?).  

The other episode was more about behind the curtain stuff and while most of it is common knowledge if you've followed wrestling for any significant amount of time, its still always neat seeing different POV and the odd ball thing picked up - like a wrestler after his match wanted to go sell his merch but the promoter was pretty adamant that as long as their were matches still going on/coming up it was not a good idea to potentially pull audience away from viewing those matches by offering them something else to do if they weren't necessarily interested in the match(es) to be.  Makes sense but maybe things you don't really think about from a fans pov

9 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Has anyone seen a show called The Wrestlers on Vice ? They played a few episodes last night, first one I caught was on Mexicans/Luchadores trying to break into the US market but also life in mexico as one goes...  1 part I thought was cool was in Tijuana they have a Lucha stoplight. Like the way we have pan handlers or people who wash your headlights,  but its a couple of guys who bust out ladders and chairs and start doing flips n beating each other during the red light for change.  guys ended up getting spotted by Konnan and put on whatever promotion he was running out there at the time (Crash Wrestling?).  

The other episode was more about behind the curtain stuff and while most of it is common knowledge if you've followed wrestling for any significant amount of time, its still always neat seeing different POV and the odd ball thing picked up - like a wrestler after his match wanted to go sell his merch but the promoter was pretty adamant that as long as their were matches still going on/coming up it was not a good idea to potentially pull audience away from viewing those matches by offering them something else to do if they weren't necessarily interested in the match(es) to be.  Makes sense but maybe things you don't really think about from a fans pov

On your second point, when you bring in "legends" or mainstream level wrestlers, they generally want the Intermission for photos/merch etc because the most people are there.  But from a promoters perspective, you dont want the "name" to be seen until his match, which is usually last (or at least, second half of the show).

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Video was pretty funny.  Winnipeg is dark and cold in January.  Was it dark yesterday?  Maybe when you go plane - bus - hotel - bus - arena, you dont see much of the out doors.  They stay at the Fairmont so I can't feel too sorry for them but if the hotel doesnt have good wifi, I wouldnt be surprised.  Maybe the local San Joe cell provider doesnt have a roaming agreement in Manitoba. 

The good thing about Jets in the playoffs, lets get to the final so opposing players arrive in parkas and become dehydrated when its 25 degrees.

actually there were instances I saw the sun come out yesterday, and it wasn't that cold out.

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Taynted, the only reason why I posted that video was because I wanted to know if anyone here knew who Outlaw Adam Knight was since he liked my tweet and his profile said he was a wrestler and I wondered if anyone who has posted on this thread knew who he was

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Semi-retirement.  He wrestled for me in December.  I dont *think* he's working for CWE on their current string of shows but I dont pay that much attention.

You'd know better than I.  He was at the last CWE show I saw but that was awhile ago.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You'd know better than I.  He was at the last CWE show I saw but that was awhile ago.

Yeah, he was a regular for us (PCW) for years and then went to CWE for...oh a year or so and then has been more sporadic.  Been "threatening" retirement for awhile which would be unfortunate.  There is a bit more cross-over of talent between PCW and CWE now, mainly because of an influx of rookies.  CWE does far more road shows and books guys from outside Winnipeg.  We run Winnipeg primarily and use a generally core roster (larger local roster).

He's pretty active on social media so if someone is a local wrestling fan, he's a good follow.

Atomic, are you a general local wrestling fan or specific to CWE?  It often surprises people to learn how little crossover among fans there is.  Not just our two promotions but any locally based indies.  Its always been that way since I've been around (save for a few groups that go everywhere).