Wrestling

Rich

Yeah the kick didn't look too bad to me... pretty routine.  Paige has back and neck problems to begin with... that's not a coincidence.  It's a shame though.  I hope she is able to come back.  Knowing how hurt she was and watching that video is really uncomfortable.  You can tell she is struggling to get control of her arms and legs.

Latest update on the Women's royal rumble.  There are 16 women confirmed:

Asuka
Sasha Banks
Bayley
Becky Lynch
Ruby Riott
Sarah Logan
Liv Morgan
Sonya Deville
Mandy Rose
Natalya
Lana
Naomi
Nia Jax
Mickie James
Carmella
Tamina

Possible spoilers:

Spoiler

Meanwhile it was revealed on Total Divas that Nikki and Brie will be in the Royal Rumble.  Dana Brooke has teased entry and you have to think Alicia Fox will be in as well.  That brings the number up to 20.

There was also a short segment on RAW this week where Kurt Angle was talking to a former women's champion about coming back for the Rumble.  Likely Molly Holly or Michelle McCool.

There is another rumour that the NXT women have been told nine women will be chosen to join the Rumble.  That would bring the number right to 30 but doesn't leave room for any other legends, Ronda Rousey, or Steph McMahon to join.

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Latest update on the Women's royal rumble.  There are 16 women confirmed:

Asuka
Sasha Banks
Bayley
Becky Lynch
Ruby Riott
Sarah Logan
Liv Morgan
Sonya Deville
Mandy Rose
Natalya
Lana
Naomi
Nia Jax
Mickie James
Carmella
Tamina

Possible spoilers:

Hide contents

Meanwhile it was revealed on Total Divas that Nikki and Brie will be in the Royal Rumble.  Dana Brooke has teased entry and you have to think Alicia Fox will be in as well.  That brings the number up to 20.

There was also a short segment on RAW this week where Kurt Angle was talking to a former women's champion about coming back for the Rumble.  Likely Molly Holly or Michelle McCool.

There is another rumour that the NXT women have been told nine women will be chosen to join the Rumble.  That would bring the number right to 30 but doesn't leave room for any other legends, Ronda Rousey, or Steph McMahon to join.

Yeah the nxt women were told they’re going to be in it. I think it might be one surprise and I don’t think it will be a big surprise or anything.   Rousey is still possible but the problem is originally they wanted her to work with steph. Ugh 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah the nxt women were told they’re going to be in it. I think it might be one surprise and I don’t think it will be a big surprise or anything.   Rousey is still possible but the problem is originally they wanted her to work with steph. Ugh 

I wouldn't mind Steph being in the rumble.  I generally just don't like her when she is the center of attention every week but she has basically been invisible since Wrestlemania.  I'd love to see her enter to a chorus of boos and get tossed over the top rope by someone like Nia Jax or Tamina.

Ill assume no one here is a huge Impact fan and thus, dont need spoiler protection from the TV tapings happening this week.  Bobby Lashley is done with Impact and potentially heading back to WWE.  He'd be a great Rumble surprise and honestly, a better WM opponent for Brock Lesnar than Roman.  Ethan Carter III also finished up and is likely headed back to WWE.

Chris Masters also gone from Impact.  He ended up improving a lot after leaving WWE but they could have had him at anytime so Im not sure there is interest there.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

23 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ill assume no one here is a huge Impact fan and thus, dont need spoiler protection from the TV tapings happening this week.  Bobby Lashley is done with Impact and potentially heading back to WWE.  He'd be a great Rumble surprise and honestly, a better WM opponent for Brock Lesnar than Roman.  Ethan Carter III also finished up and is likely headed back to WWE.

Chris Masters also gone from Impact.  He ended up improving a lot after leaving WWE but they could have had him at anytime so Im not sure there is interest there.

Honestly I'm starting to get the feeling that Lesnar will not be champ at WM34.  And yes I know the "plan" has been Roman vs Brock for a long time.  I'm just not so sure anymore.

15 minutes ago, Atomic said:

They're old and too small to be credible "monsters".  They'll get the Revival/Ascension treatment.

Well, 6'2 & 6'3.  260, 290.  Ascension?  Not a chance.  Revival?  maybe.  Revival were being pushed on RAW before the injury and are now back.  If it was me, I'd bring in Jim Cornette to manage Revival.  But of course, you never know.  You could be right but I think War Machine are good enough to get over.  Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Well, 6'2 & 6'3.  260, 290.  Ascension?  Not a chance.  Revival?  maybe.  Revival were being pushed on RAW before the injury and are now back.  If it was me, I'd bring in Jim Cornette to manage Revival.  But of course, you never know.  You could be right but I think War Machine are good enough to get over.  Time will tell.

Yeah they're big guys but line em up with the Bludgeon Brothers or the Authors of Pain and not so much.  They've got the look of monsters but just aren't quite big enough.  IMO of course.

And Ascension were badass in NXT!  It's terrible what's happened to them.

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yeah they're big guys but line em up with the Bludgeon Brothers or the Authors of Pain and not so much.  They've got the look of monsters but just aren't quite big enough.  IMO of course.

And Ascension were badass in NXT!  It's terrible what's happened to them.

Ascension just aren't very good to be honest.

This could become a story if any actual evidence surfaces

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-iron-addicts-gym-owner-arrested-by-dea-on-steroid-selling-allegations-9158010

Gym owner was busted by DEA for running a steroid distribution ring.  The story is from last Feb but whats new is he gave an interview and named some of his clients, including Roman.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This could become a story if any actual evidence surfaces

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-iron-addicts-gym-owner-arrested-by-dea-on-steroid-selling-allegations-9158010

Gym owner was busted by DEA for running a steroid distribution ring.  The story is from last Feb but whats new is he gave an interview and named some of his clients, including Roman.

Roman was already busted for a wellness violation in 2016

Just now, Atomic said:

Roman was already busted for a wellness violation in 2016

Believed to be Adderall.  Its possible it was for juice related to the above story (or they might spin it that way as they did for Orton once).  But its a good point because he has one strike already.  if he gets another, they are in a bind as far as pushing him.  Though they have a magical policy of dropping a strike over a period of time so he might be back down to 0 strikes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2018/01/17/wwes-roman-reigns-implicated-in-10-million-steroid-ring/#699379d733b4

Forbes, New York Daily News and others now covering this.  The Forbes article is a great reason why WWE hates this as it goes into Roman's previous suspension and the last time WWE was linked to a drug distribution scheme including Benoit and his crimes.  Not good publicity.

WWE's redemption program is that if you have TWO strikes and stay clean for 18 months, you can have one strike removed.  Its called the "Orton Rule" because he had 2 strikes and WWE's policy states a 3rd strike is automatic termination and they werent about to fire Orton at his age then.  By accounts, orton probably should have had 4 strikes actually.

So...if this turns into something where WWE has to act, it might be what cools them on Roman as he'd have 2 strikes and would need to stay clean for 18 months.   A lot of risk in putting the belt on a 2 strike guy.

This weeks news

Roman released a statement saying he doesnt take steroids and has never even heard of the guy arrested.

Ethan Carter III is on his way to WWE.  He owns the name if WWE wants to use it.  Dixie Carter actually tweeted about how proud she was of her "nephew" so Im sure she's angling to make an appearance at some point (lol).  EC3 could appear in the Rumble as his contract is up.

Bobby Lashley is talking with WWE.  He has two weeks remaining on his TNA contract so he would not be available for the Rumble unless TNA released him early (I suspect they would if WWE asked).  He previously left WWE on poor terms when they were hot he'd leave after the Trump/Vince push and Lashley was hot over his then girlfriend Kristal Marshall being fired and some racial stuff with Michael Hayes.  Lashley is 41.

James Storm is also trying to get back to WWE.  He had a cup of coffee in NXT a couple years ago but TNA offered him a contract that was 3 times what WWE offered so he took it.  He's a bit older so its hard to say if WWE would take him but Storm is pretty good and might be a good player/coach in NXT (or do something with Roode).

The betting sites take bets on wrestling and the odds always adjust when the smart money comes in.  Daniel Bryan is listed as having long odds to win the Rumble (obviously, long odds) but interestingly, those odds have shrunk considerably.  That would be because people bet on the long odds or people in WWE know something the rest of us dont.  (Dont count on it).

Paul Heyman is scheduled to induct Goldberg into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Bradley Cooper was offered the lead role of Vince McMahon in the planned film about him called Pandemonium.   If Cooper accepts, it will begin shooting in the spring.  WWE is involved so the story will be...interesting.  Originally the script was absurd with goofy things like Vince being in a cafe in Paris and discovering Andre working as a short order cook.  But the script was re-worked to be more accurate.

Nash is off WWE RAW 25 on Monday after he had full knee replacement and complained that it was too difficult to fly commercial (maybe his buddy Hunter could loan him the corporate jet).  And Hogan has said he also is not going to be there (a bit of a surprise, he will be back eventually and its been talked about for this show so who knows).

Jericho being announced was premature and they hadnt worked out a deal.  Jericho will do it if the creative makes sense for him.

Bret Hart wont be there.  He and Mick Foley were advertised locally but Mick feels it makes no sense to be there after being "fired" by Steph and Hart has an appointment with a hand surgeon who's flying in from Europe that day.  Hart has a lawsuit against the doctor who did his surgery saying it was botched and he cant use his hand.

Hart is also pushing for the Hart Foundation to be inducted into the Hall of Fame as Jim Neidhart is having some medical issues so now is the time to do it.  Its interesting because thus far Ric Flair is the only two-time Hall of Famer and they push that a lot.  This would make Bret a two timer as well (Flair could always go in as part of Evolution sometime and make him a 3-timer).

Jake Roberts apparently did not enjoy his 21 day Canadian tour.  He was in for Winnipeg's CWE and tweeted a couple of times about how horrendous the weather was and having "bad thoughts".  I sure hoped they filmed his every move for a documentary! (they are filming a documentary so I would imagine they got some good footage).