Wrestling

Rich

24 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

New Cruiserweight Tag team title coming. 

They should make a women’s tag team title. 

was thinking the same thing,  especially with the influx of NXT women on both shows.  They could easily make 3-4 tag teams for each program and still have a few singles competitors for the womens title.

That said it got me thinking on monday about whatever happened to Awesome Kong? I know she got knocked up shortly after jumping from TNA to WWE so is she still on like mat leave or was her timing a piss off for WWE?  IMO she was a lot better then Nia Jax as a monster heel

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

was thinking the same thing,  especially with the influx of NXT women on both shows.  They could easily make 3-4 tag teams for each program and still have a few singles competitors for the womens title.

That said it got me thinking on monday about whatever happened to Awesome Kong? I know she got knocked up shortly after jumping from TNA to WWE so is she still on like mat leave or was her timing a piss off for WWE?  IMO she was a lot better then Nia Jax as a monster heel

There were some mental health issues there and it was probably a strained relationship.  It was also a time when WWE would never have considered her but Austin pushed for it.  She is now working on GLOW on Netflix.  There was some fan-speculation she might be a surprise at the RR to plug GLOW but no dice.  And yes, I agree, she was a very good worker.  Jax is big.  Kong could work. 

Im not a big Jax fan.  I wonder if her push is cooling off now that Rock cant work WM...lol

I'm guessing Jax's push is cooling off... watching her cry on monday was kinda the opposite reaction I'd expect of a monster heel.  Have her trash everything in frustration and "snap" but tears just screams "I'm a loser".  When Bliss was trying to console her I'd have had her lose it on her not just get into a woes me situation. But I understand the need to keep putting Asuka over until her streak comes to an end

North American championship 

The WWE used to have a North American title in the 70’s. The first champion was Ted DiBiase. He lost it to Pat Patterson. Patterson then unified it with the South American championship via a tournament in Rio De Janeiro to become the first ever Intercontinental Champion, however the tournament and South American title were fictitious. 

13 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

North American championship 

The WWE used to have a North American title in the 70’s. The first champion was Ted DiBiase. He lost it to Pat Patterson. Patterson then unified it with the South American championship via a tournament in Rio De Janeiro to become the first ever Intercontinental Champion, however the tournament and South American title were fictitious. 

Are you saying the Intercontinental title is fraudulent? 

I'll never trust wrestling again. 

22 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WWE is filming at the Hardy Compound today for a Matt vs Bray match to likely air on RAW at some point.

I heard Wrestlemania altho with Jeff recently cleared to return some talk of Broken Hardys vs The Bar @ mania

On 3/9/2018 at 11:08 AM, Goalie said:

I heard Wrestlemania altho with Jeff recently cleared to return some talk of Broken Hardys vs The Bar @ mania

On one hand, the compound fight seems big enough for WM but it would be a tough sell in the building for people to watch a match on the video screen.  And it did draw ratings in TNA so they might slap it on during the 3rd hour of RAW and hope it maintains viewers.  WWE is the type that would end up having Matt and Bray team up.

So the Hardy Compound match will be next week on RAW.  Will be interesting to see if they edit Jeff out of it.

WWE is so lucky the mainstream media doesnt care about them or they'd be roasted for the Fablous Moolah crap.  She controlled women's wrestling for ages and treated her girls like crap including pimping them out.  If it was a mainstream sport, she'd be blacklisted.

Wrestling Observer released its 2017 awards this week.  For those that dont know, the Observer is a wrestling site (encompassing the original "newsletter" with radio shows etc) run by the preeminent wrestling/MMA journalist Dave Meltzer.

The voting fans encompass a wide range of fans from WWE fans to Japanese fans to both to everything in between.  The awards are a pretty good barometer for what's working and who's achieving, regardless of hype or kayfabe

Anyway, the point being, 2017 was a big year for Omega.

Wrestler of the Year: 1. Okada  2.Kenny Omega  3. Naito  4. AJ Styles  5. Kento

Most Outstanding Wrestler: 1. Okada  2. Kenny Omega  3. AJ Styles  4. Naito  5. Ishii

Best Promos: 1. Connor MacGregor  2. Chris Jericho  3.  The Miz  4. Kenny Omega  5. Kevin Owens

Match of the Year: 1. Omega vs Okada  2. Omega vs Okada  3. Shibata vs Okada  4. Omega vs Naito  5. Omega vs Okada

Best Draw:  1. Connor McGregor 2. Kenny Omega  3. Naito  4. St Pierre  5. Okada

Feud of the Year: Okada vs Omega

Most Charismatic:  1. Naito  2. McGregor  3. Omega  4. Matt Riddle  5. Nak

Best Wrestling Move: 1. Omega's "One Winged Angel"  2.Okada's "Rainmaker"  3. Naito's "Destino"  4. Omega's "V-Trigger"  5. Aleister Black's "Black Mass"

Very impressive especially since most voters are North American.

Vader had open heart surgery this week.  I looked it up (because we were talking about it before and I had implied people doubted him).  It was November 2016 when he said he had heart failure and two years left to live.  I think what made people wonder is, he kept wrestling (and kept being big) and said he wanted to die in the ring (Flair said the same thing to be fair). 

So I agree, WWE should have inducted him this year.  Although I guess its a good news story if he goes in next year.  I wonder if the fact he still wrestles scared WWE off because if he was in the HOF and died in the ring, they'd be linked to the headlines.

In a surprise, WWE actually responded to the backlash over the Moolah battle royale and dropped the name.  Its now going to just be called the WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal. 

The backlash was immediate but WWE somewhat doubled down by airing a video putting Moolah over on Smackdown.  They just announced the change today.  Its for the best but Im surprised they'd give in to complaints like that.  They knew it would happen when they made the decision.

21 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wrestling Observer released its 2017 awards this week.  For those that dont know, the Observer is a wrestling site (encompassing the original "newsletter" with radio shows etc) run by the preeminent wrestling/MMA journalist Dave Meltzer.

The voting fans encompass a wide range of fans from WWE fans to Japanese fans to both to everything in between.  The awards are a pretty good barometer for what's working and who's achieving, regardless of hype or kayfabe

Anyway, the point being, 2017 was a big year for Omega.

Wrestler of the Year: 1. Okada  2.Kenny Omega  3. Naito  4. AJ Styles  5. Kento

Most Outstanding Wrestler: 1. Okada  2. Kenny Omega  3. AJ Styles  4. Naito  5. Ishii

Best Promos: 1. Connor MacGregor  2. Chris Jericho  3.  The Miz  4. Kenny Omega  5. Kevin Owens

Match of the Year: 1. Omega vs Okada  2. Omega vs Okada  3. Shibata vs Okada  4. Omega vs Naito  5. Omega vs Okada

Best Draw:  1. Connor McGregor 2. Kenny Omega  3. Naito  4. St Pierre  5. Okada

Feud of the Year: Okada vs Omega

Most Charismatic:  1. Naito  2. McGregor  3. Omega  4. Matt Riddle  5. Nak

Best Wrestling Move: 1. Omega's "One Winged Angel"  2.Okada's "Rainmaker"  3. Naito's "Destino"  4. Omega's "V-Trigger"  5. Aleister Black's "Black Mass"

Very impressive especially since most voters are North American.

Breaking news smarks like Japan wrestling lol

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Breaking news smarks like Japan wrestling lol

It’s not breaking news that fans like good wrestling. It is newsworthy that predominate American fans voted so strongly for a Canadian that has never been on wwe tv. That was the point. 

It’s not like fans always vote for Japanese wrestlers. The wrestler of the year award is actually called the Ric Flair award because he won it so many times.  

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It’s not breaking news that fans like good wrestling. It is newsworthy that predominate American fans voted so strongly for a Canadian that has never been on wwe tv. That was the point. 

It’s not like fans always vote for Japanese wrestlers. The wrestler of the year award is actually called the Ric Flair award because he won it so many times.  

Hey I'm happy for Omega's success but let's not pretend that the subscribers of WON are an accurate cross-section of wrestling fans.  It's the most hardcore of the hardcore.  They're NJPW and NXT fans.

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Hey I'm happy for Omega's success but let's not pretend that the subscribers of WON are an accurate cross-section of wrestling fans.  It's the most hardcore of the hardcore.  They're NJPW and NXT fans.

I wouldn’t say that entirely. I don’t think it’s so much that those fans are New Japan fans as much as WWE fans are WWE fans. 

AJ Styles won wrestler of the year the last two years. Cena has actually won it a couple of times. HHH. Angle. Austin. And several Japanese workers too. 

WON is a good example of smart fans though. I agree with you. But they favour good wrestling and It’s hard to argue Okada and Omega weren’t the two best wrestlers last year.  Styles is there too. But who else from wwe?  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I wouldn’t say that entirely. I don’t think it’s so much that those fans are New Japan fans as much as WWE fans are WWE fans. 

AJ Styles won wrestler of the year the last two years. Cena has actually won it a couple of times. HHH. Angle. Austin. And several Japanese workers too. 

WON is a good example of smart fans though. I agree with you. But they favour good wrestling and It’s hard to argue Okada and Omega weren’t the two best wrestlers last year.  Styles is there too. But who else from wwe?  

I mean... voting the Rainmaker as a top wrestling move.... come on...

On 2018-03-16 at 10:19 AM, Atomic said:

I mean... voting the Rainmaker as a top wrestling move.... come on...

Makes sense as it’s his finisher. I don’t think it’s meant to be the most spectacular or complicated move.  It’s about a finisher that is set up and executed in a way fans react to. Stunner was probably a winner too and that’s the easiest move there is.