Wrestling

Rich

On 4/9/2017 at 11:39 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, read for years that there was sexual harassment & assault going on with some of the wrestlers. One guy in particular who is a WWE Legend & homosexual. You can't say McMahon doesn't know what's going on.

If you're referring to Pat Patterson, he was always considered an innocent party during the sex scandals of the 90's.  Mel Phillips and....cant remember his name off the top of my head were both dismissed for cause at that time.  Patterson resigned because as a gay man in the 90's, it was going to fall on him.  He was brought back once it was all settled.

But the sex scandals of the 90's aside, they continue to have that culture of disrespect and bullying.  They hide behind it being "on screen" or "in character" which is pretty lame.  Look at how Vince has portrayed Jim Ross over the years.  Making fun of him for having colon surgery, mocking his facial disability etc. 

The unfortunate thing with WWE is the "culture" is all about kissing up to Vince.  Thats the booking, and thats the "ribs".

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not even sure what you mean by that.  Are you saying no one on the Internet buys Roman merch?  That would be wrong.

No I'm saying the IWC is all the people who ***** about Roman Reigns non-stop, and they're not buying his merch, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No I'm saying the IWC is all the people who ***** about Roman Reigns non-stop, and they're not buying his merch, obviously.

WWE's audience is mostly split between the crowd that goes to TV/PPV and house show.  And I'd suspect they sell the bulk of their merch at house shows which is an audience not reflective of their television crowd.  Roman is an upper merch seller to be sure.  But if he wasn't, with his push, there would be something very wrong.

The push for Roman has been a disaster in most ways.  So if people are ******* about it, they'd generally be correct.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WWE's audience is mostly split between the crowd that goes to TV/PPV and house show.  And I'd suspect they sell the bulk of their merch at house shows which is an audience not reflective of their television crowd.  Roman is an upper merch seller to be sure.  But if he wasn't, with his push, there would be something very wrong.

The push for Roman has been a disaster in most ways.  So if people are ******* about it, they'd generally be correct.

So you formed your conclusion (Roman sucks) and then found a way to make your understanding of the evidence fit that conclusion.  Classic IWC!  LOL

4 minutes ago, Atomic said:

So you formed your conclusion (Roman sucks) and then found a way to make your understanding of the evidence fit that conclusion.  Classic IWC!  LOL

No, not at all.  I never said "Roman sucks" and I didnt use any buzzwords to try and make a point.

I merely disagreed with your assessment that Coachman was correct and that Meltzer is somehow just an "IWC" guy.  He's a far more respected journalist than Coachman and knows more about the business than Coach too.  A lot more.  None of which changes the original point that WWE allows a culture of bullying and shouldnt.  I think we can agree on that.  :-)

21 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If you're referring to Pat Patterson, he was always considered an innocent party during the sex scandals of the 90's.  Mel Phillips and....cant remember his name off the top of my head were both dismissed for cause at that time.  Patterson resigned because as a gay man in the 90's, it was going to fall on him.  He was brought back once it was all settled.

I believe Jason Sensation also claimed that other guys in the locker room sexually assaulted/molested him.  

I'm not sure how much I would believe of that though.   Sometimes people like to make bold claims just to get some attention....

Just now, Brandon said:

I believe Jason Sensation also claimed that other guys in the locker room sexually assaulted/molested him.  

I'm not sure how much I would believe of that though.   Sometimes people like to make bold claims just to get some attention....

You can probably believe most of it, unfortunately.  How they havent been sued yet is beyond me,  But most people dont want to burn a bridge.

According to Meltzer, since he wrote his story (which has been picked up by a few "mainstream" outlets, he's had at least 15 guys contact him with stories... Meltzer is friendly with Ranallo so he was pretty upset about this.  He practically threatened to go even deeper if WWE doesn't rectify the situation.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

But the sex scandals of the 90's aside, they continue to have that culture of disrespect and bullying.  They hide behind it being "on screen" or "in character" which is pretty lame.  Look at how Vince has portrayed Jim Ross over the years.  Making fun of him for having colon surgery, mocking his facial disability etc. 

The unfortunate thing with WWE is the "culture" is all about kissing up to Vince.  Thats the booking, and thats the "ribs".

I have read that Patterson wasn't an innocent party over the years & some wrestlers were afraid to be left alone with him in a room as they feared he'd sexually assault them. Being a veteran they also felt that if they complained their careers would be finished in the WWE. Not the nicest guy either when it came to hazing young wrestlers. I don't have any specific stories I can quote just things I've read over the years about Patterson.

i don't like the way they are doing this shake up so far. Curt Hawkins and Heath Slater/Rhyno get two thumbs down from me.  Ambrose, Miz, and Wyatt tho should add some good matches.  I wonder if they bring over one more of the wyatts (Rowan for example) if raw will go back to the old days of clique battles.  Got the club potential, shield potential, wyatt fam potential, the new day

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I have read that Patterson wasn't an innocent party over the years & some wrestlers were afraid to be left alone with him in a room as they feared he'd sexually assault them. Being a veteran they also felt that if they complained their careers would be finished in the WWE. Not the nicest guy either when it came to hazing young wrestlers. I don't have any specific stories I can quote just things I've read over the years about Patterson.

I wasnt there so I cant say you're wrong but from what people who would know have said, Patterson was always a great guy to work with and not involved in the sexual assault/harasment

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Styles didn't go to RAW 

Thank goodness.  Originally, Styles and Roman were swapping.  Roman sort of makes sense in that it keeps him away from Brock until they're ready.  Styles on the "A" show makes sense if he's pushed on top and with Brock as top guy that wasnt going to happen. 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Guess Reigns is taking time off to do a movie with his "injuries" tonight.

I think just building that match up.  And that was a tremendous angle.  I could have lived without the Ambulance thing as its too hokey for my liking but the beat down and Braun coming back for more was really well done.  Akin to Austin going after Bret in the Ambulance back in the day (without the wit).

11 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

i don't like the way they are doing this shake up so far. Curt Hawkins and Heath Slater/Rhyno get two thumbs down from me.  Ambrose, Miz, and Wyatt tho should add some good matches.  I wonder if they bring over one more of the wyatts (Rowan for example) if raw will go back to the old days of clique battles.  Got the club potential, shield potential, wyatt fam potential, the new day

Have to see who ends up on SD.  Its pretty weak right now.  Charlotte is almost a lock to go.  Maybe Sasha too.  With Orton as champion and Bray going to RAW, they need a heel.  New Day going probably makes sense too. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Owens Zayn Charlotte The Club and probably Jinder 

The icons from nxt  (Billie Kay and Peyton Royce) and Almas rumored also 

I was thinking Owens, but there is already the match announced for RAW PPV Payback between he and Jericho for the US title.  I guess that's not a huge deal and they could work around it.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I was thinking Owens, but there is already the match announced for RAW PPV Payback between he and Jericho for the US title.  I guess that's not a huge deal and they could work around it.

Bray moved to RAW after the Bray/Orton match was announced.  They said it will be on the RAW PPV.

Owens to SD makes sense as they need a top heel.  And Owens would work well with Orton (and AJ for that matter). 

27 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Would like to see Rusev go to Smackdown when he returns. Be more opportunity to move up there.

This makes sense too.  With Brock as Universal Champion, there isnt much upward mobility on RAW.  You're either being fed to Brock or fed to Roman.  I cant imagine Orton having a very long shelf life as World Champion so guys like AJ, Owens, Rusev, Samy etc would all be in the mix there.

If they moved Roman, that would make sense too in that he could be World Champion for awhile before coming back to face Brock but I assume thats not the plan now.

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Bray moved to RAW after the Bray/Orton match was announced.  They said it will be on the RAW PPV.

Owens to SD makes sense as they need a top heel.  And Owens would work well with Orton (and AJ for that matter). 

This makes sense too.  With Brock as Universal Champion, there isnt much upward mobility on RAW.  You're either being fed to Brock or fed to Roman.  I cant imagine Orton having a very long shelf life as World Champion so guys like AJ, Owens, Rusev, Samy etc would all be in the mix there.

If they moved Roman, that would make sense too in that he could be World Champion for awhile before coming back to face Brock but I assume thats not the plan now.

Do you really think they'll ever give Zayn a decent push?imo he's being booked like Ziggler 2.0. Here's my raw - smackdown moves

Owens - having both the IC and US belt on 1 show makes no sense, but Owens will drop it quickly on SD so he can get in the title picture

Jericho - needs to reclaim the US belt and basically head the mid carder portion of SD, plus with the Miz now on Raw, the highlight reel will need a new home.

Zayn - I think he's getting stale on Raw,  new matches with guys like Corbin, Ziggler, Jericho..etc in the mid carder division a breathe of fresh air for him i think.

Enzo/Cass & The New Day - just more tag teams to challenge the usos. neither team participated on raw yesterday so maybe telling

Charlotte and Nia Jax - with Mickie James and Alexa Bliss coming over the raw women's division is over loaded (8 active wrestling atm vs 4 on SD) so 2 of them are likely on the move.  Only reason I picked Jax over Sasha, was her win over Charlotte yesterday, call it some unfinished business

Jericho is leaving shortly.

I agree that Owens on SD probably drops the US title within three months and moves up to the World Championship.  Nak winning the US title on his rise up the ranks would make sense.  Owens/Nak feud sounds tremendous.

Their thing with Zayn was, they thought he could get over like Daniel Bryan so they tried to book him like they think Bryan got booked to get over.  Unfortunately, the reason Bryan got over, in part, was because he was booked so poorly and fans embraced him.  WWE tried repeatedly to cut Bryan off at the balls.  So its really hard, especially for WWE, to reenact that kind of booking.  Then...Zayn got heat on himself for being a bit...different backstage.  Some think he's a bit autistic.  The way hes been booked to "annoy" Angle in the backstage vignettes is how they see him.  So that doesnt help.

But on SD, you have a different mentality because Road Dogg is the booker along with Ryan Ward (who booked NXT when Zayn was on top) and they book more traditionally in building programs and pushing talent.  Vince will always interject more with RAW than SD.  Plus, you dont have an authority figure cutting your balls off when you do start to get over (although with Angle on RAW this wont happen as much...but Steph will be back).

15 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I have met him.  Didnt think he was autistic.  Have you met him?

No but I've met plenty of people with autism or Asperger's and he isn't even close.  Not that all people on the spectrum are the same, far from it, but they all share certain characteristics and performing in front of thousands of people in a sensory-overload environment like the WWE is totally out of the question.

ADHD I could understand.  Autism/Asperger's?  No chance.

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There's been plenty said and written about Patterson over the years. Most of it seems to be of the "well I heard" variety. I can't say for certain if anything happened, obviously. But to play devil's advocate for a second, when you consider the general attitude towards homosexuals in the 80s and 90s, you can see where some stories may have been fabricated or whatever. There was a general perception amongst a number of people that it was a deviant lifestyle and a lot of witch hunts happened because of that stereotype. Casual homophobia was everywhere and I can only imagine what it was like in a testosterone filled locker room. I could easily see where someone could hear that Patterson was gay and say something like "I don't want to be left alone with him" and then try to justify that stance by saying "well, I heard..."

17 hours ago, Atomic said:

No but I've met plenty of people with autism or Asperger's and he isn't even close.  Not that all people on the spectrum are the same, far from it, but they all share certain characteristics and performing in front of thousands of people in a sensory-overload environment like the WWE is totally out of the question.

ADHD I could understand.  Autism/Asperger's?  No chance.

I tend to agree. I was just saying what some people have said and why he has heat. 

I've worked with him a couple of times. Great guy. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster